Grammar Police…You know who you are.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1646751304299.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The sentence structure and spelling is horrendous these days. Run on sentences, no punctuation, misuse of words, and all the short cuts are making a mockery out of good old english.

Just look at some of the print material and give your head a shake. There are a lot of journalists out there that should go back to grade 5. A few S&M folks should follow suit.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone asked me at work if I knew what Zza was... I said yes and told him. Blew his mind that I knew. Nowadays everything said is an acronym, short word, a made up word or hashtag this or that.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sentence structure and spelling is horrendous these days. Run on sentences, no punctuation, misuse of words, and all the short cuts are making a mockery out of good old english.

Just look at some of the print material and give your head a shake. There are a lot of journalists out there that should go back to grade 5. A few S&M folks should follow suit.
I am guilty. I quit school at 14 and started logging in the Brazzeau area of Alberta. As far as street smarts go call me educated. My public Education is lacking though. lol. Most of my posts are done by voice text through my phone. I gotta tell you my phone Misspells words and verbs as much as my thumbs

Last edited:

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You're SPOT ON Fernie!

It's not hard to see who proof reads their post before posting. Some people just don't care and it shows in their posts that are barely legible. This site is actually pretty good when it comes to that. Wanna see guys butcher the English language? Check this site out.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forums/trash-or-be-trashed.11/page-2 Its a site for drag racers and fans. Half the guys there can't spell cat even if you spotted them the C ,and the T. And try and help them out and they get all offended screaming NAZI! Self improvement isn't for everyone I suppose.

I don't understand why most people are so touchy about being corrected? It's got nothing to do with being a "Grammar Nazi", it has to do with using proper English, spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure so everyone can easily read your posts. Don't you want to correct your spelling or punctuation? How would you improve it if you just get offended at being corrected? Were you offended when a teacher corrected you? Then why get offended if anyone else corrects you? I just don't understand how that would upset someone?

I love it when someone corrects me, if I'm not spelling something correctly I want to know about it so I can spell it correctly. It seems everyone just wants to be offended these days.

My two fave's are failing to use a capital letter to start a new sentence, anything following a period gets capitalized. And the name of towns, city's, provinces and countries always get's capitalized.
It's not red deer, it's Red Deer. That bothering me might be splitting hair's, and I get that it's mostly me.

My big trigger is the word seen. "I seen an accident yesterday" No, you didn't. You didn't SEEN anything. You SAW an accident. Seen has to be one of the most misused words today.

I try my hardest to not say anything just cause everyone's so damn sensitive these days but every once and a while I just cant bite my tongue, you didn't SEEN anything! Rant over..

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You're SPOT ON Fernie!

It's not hard to see who proof reads their post before posting. Some people just don't care and it shows in their posts that are barely legible. This site is actually pretty good when it comes to that. Wanna see guys butcher the English language? Check this site out.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forums/trash-or-be-trashed.11/page-2 Its a site for drag racers and fans. Half the guys there can't spell cat even if you spotted them the C ,and the T. And try and help them out and they get all offended screaming NAZI! Self improvement isn't for everyone I suppose.

I don't understand why most people are so touchy about being corrected? It's got nothing to do with being a "Grammar Nazi", it has to do with using proper English, spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure so everyone can easily read your posts. Don't you want to correct your spelling or punctuation? How would you improve it if you just get offended at being corrected? Were you offended when a teacher corrected you? Then why get offended if anyone else corrects you? I just don't understand how that would upset someone?

I love it when someone corrects me, if I'm not spelling something correctly I want to know about it so I can spell it correctly. It seems everyone just wants to be offended these days.

My two fave's are failing to use a capital letter to start a new sentence, anything following a period gets capitalized. And the name of towns, city's, provinces and countries always get's capitalized.
It's not red deer, it's Red Deer. That bothering me might be splitting hair's, and I get that it's mostly me.

My big trigger is the word seen. "I seen an accident yesterday" No, you didn't. You didn't SEEN anything. You SAW an accident. Seen has to be one of the most misused words today.

I try my hardest to not say anything just cause everyone's so damn sensitive these days but every once and a while I just cant bite my tongue, you didn't SEEN anything! Rant over..
Most people agree that I will definitely agree with you. I'm not too bothered by sensitivity. I don't jump in to correct everything but probably most of what I see. I don't know why proper sentence structure isn't important. We were taught that it was important just like we were taught there are two genders. I guess these days, it is where one draws "the line in the sand" and what they get up tight about.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife reads a lot and it shows. We can be somewhere having a conversation with people and she relays her message across with these dam big words. After a while I just shut up and let her do the talking.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're SPOT ON Fernie!

They “prolly” didn’t actually see anything.

Top Bottom