good winter tires

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just wondering what anyone thinks are good winter tires.
just bought summer tires and rims for my 97 4x4 half ton chev. anyone have any ideas of what some good cheap winter tires are? also what size would be better in the snow... 245 or 265?

Cameo

Reaction score
Sigma tires are the best winter tires i have ever had,and a real good price. couldnt find them last year though, bought BFG Slalems. might as well save the hastle and drive straight into the ditch :)

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nokians kick ace. put on our jeep last year huge difference with just nokian all seasons. have also heard of guys getting up to 130k on the all seasons. winters would be even better but wont get the mileage.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I would put the 265/75-16 tires on......next size bigger, but fills the wheel well much better(looks better)

almost any winter or ice tire is a huge improvement over all season tires.....

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
o yeah the bigger ones deffinitly look better but its just for winter. was wondering if there is any traction difference between the wider and narrower ones. i would think the wider ones would be better but ive heard the opposite is true.

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
245 are better dont look good but work awesome i have 245 traction kings on my 93 chev. i was sad when i found out they didnt make them for an 18 inch rim. for my new truck

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
245 are better dont look good but work awesome i have 245 traction kings on my 93 chev. i was sad when i found out they didnt make them for an 18 inch rim. for my new truck

I have a set of these on my truck. Bought em used. I can get another winter out of em for sure. Nice tires.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly, on a 4x4 truck any AT, all season will do great. I run MT's year round with are terrible on ice without any issue. Just don't bother with BFG's they are overpriced and nothing special.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the skinnier, if u go too wide ur tires will push all that snow, if there skinny they cut thru the snow. imo

ya thats what ive been hearing. ill have to look around. also they are cheaper to :)

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always heard use skinner tires for the winter But since I have a problem with being different I have always ran bigger. last year on my suzuki sammy I ran my 33 12.5 baja claws which guys told me would never work on such a light rig, but I did alot of snow cruzzin and when we had all the snow last year here in bc, I never hit the ditch. Plowed hours of snow with it also. I like big because they work great. I did run 44 " tires years ago in the winter and went down to 38 but syiped them. when you want to go play in the snow you will hate the smaller tire because you loose diff clearence but if you stick to the road or going to the mall you can do what ever lol. a good mud tire and syipe (spelling ?) you will go any where. if you get stuck then put it in 4 wheel drive lol. Just my 2 cents but who listens to me lol

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i think the height difference between the 245 75 r 16 and the 265 75 r 16 is quite minimal. I dont really go off road that much either but if i did then yeah it makes sence to run taller tires.

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put Arctic Claw Winter XSI's on My old pick-up truck last year and they were great.I don't know how they will last but for now their still great.:):):)

Same here, it's the first time I've put on winter tires there is no question that winter tires are better in deeper snow they have 30 percent deeper tread. I got the Arctic Claw for $612.00 installed and balanced. My last set of Michelin tires cost $1100.00 plus but I got 133,000 Km and 8 years out of them. You get what you pay for. Just my:twocents:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Skinnier tires offer more lb's per square inch therefore have more bite, a wider tire has less lb/in AND has to push a wider track, hancook winters are AWESOME for trucks and reasonable priced. Nokian Hapalapi????????'s are the best winter tires out there but not sure if they have them in larger sizes for the trucks.

Just my 2 cents

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always heard use skinner tires for the winter But since I have a problem with being different I have always ran bigger. last year on my suzuki sammy I ran my 33 12.5 baja claws which guys told me would never work on such a light rig, but I did alot of snow cruzzin and when we had all the snow last year here in bc, I never hit the ditch. Plowed hours of snow with it also. I like big because they work great. I did run 44 " tires years ago in the winter and went down to 38 but syiped them. when you want to go play in the snow you will hate the smaller tire because you loose diff clearence but if you stick to the road or going to the mall you can do what ever lol. a good mud tire and syipe (spelling ?) you will go any where. if you get stuck then put it in 4 wheel drive lol. Just my 2 cents but who listens to me lol

Baja claws are amazing, about to buy some for the winter :d

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same here, it's the first time I've put on winter tires there is no question that winter tires are better in deeper snow they have 30 percent deeper tread. I got the Arctic Claw for $612.00 installed and balanced. My last set of Michelin tires cost $1100.00 plus but I got 133,000 Km and 8 years out of them. You get what you pay for. Just my:twocents:

ya i went into town today and got a quote for different winter tires at a bunch of places. i think i will be getting the arctic claws. price installed and ballanced was $1050 and that is for 10 ply 265 75 r 16s. im just running them on a half ton, probably wont be pulling anything, might put the sled deck on once or twice. is it worth the extra money for the ten ply? anyone else run these tires?

nokians were $110 more PER TIRE.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put Arctic Claw Winter XSI's on My old pick-up truck last year and they were great.I don't know how they will last but for now their still great.:):):)

forgot to mention, the salesmen was telling me these tires last on average 3 seasons, depending on when you take them off. that sounds really bad to me, cuz thats, what, 30 000km?? or so? im sure if you put them on when there is actually snow and take them off early they would last longer. not sure.

Philster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pitbulll.webs.com
forgot to mention, the salesmen was telling me these tires last on average 3 seasons, depending on when you take them off. that sounds really bad to me, cuz thats, what, 30 000km?? or so? im sure if you put them on when there is actually snow and take them off early they would last longer. not sure.

I didn't feel the need to go with the 10 ply because it is also about the speed rating and the load you will be carrying.I try not to go over 110 k/hr. and I pull a sled trailer so I don't haul much of a load.Check your vehicle's GVW and compare it to the tire rating times 4.I have about a 2500 LB. leeway for my
truck.Hope this help's a bit.I bought My Arctic Claw's on line the guarantee was for 60'000 kilo's so we'll just have to see.
Also my summer tires are worn out Michelin's but I didn't even put them back on this summer.Doesn't seem to have bothered the Arctic Claw's still lot's of thread left.

Last edited:
Top Bottom