Golden Conditions

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
How was golden? Wanted to go but it didn't look like much new snow. Perhaps next weekend.

Cheers

Michelle

girlluvshockey

Reaction score
No new snow....rode gorman on friday and it was pretty much a highway. Hope was alright, some untouched stuff and good riding..i imagine quartz was a highway too...we didnt even bother there........let is snow

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hopefully we get more snow soon, but be careful all!!!! I was out a cpl weeks ago into Gorman & there were alot of slides coming down. The heat on the rocks up top & the rain crust(i think someone called it) is very unstable. People think because it's hero snow , that things won't come down.......... very wrong. I witnessed a good size avy come down right beside a group of us sitting below one rider( oops) & it was close enuff to make me take off for higher ground & it was close to covering some skiis of the guys that didnt move!!!! Too close for comfort forsure.:eek:

Be safe & happy all!!!!

RN

PS when are you S&M riders coming out our way again?????? I should be at home for breakup about late March:D

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Shredder, I'd actually like to hit Mcbride one of these times. Never been & have heard good things bout it. I'll have to give you guys a pm when i'm home & get away. You guys won't mind me taggin along??;)

RN

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
HEY, RASPBERRY.... LET US KNOW WHEN YOU'RE THINKIN' OF HEADIN' UP AND WE CAN HAVE A "MINI" S&M MCBRIDE MANIA...... BE GOOD TO RIDE WITH YA AGAIN.... OUR GROUP STILL HAS TO HOOK UP WITH THAT "SHREDDER" GROUP FOR A RIDE AGAIN THIS YEAR TOO, AND TO LET GORDIE STEAL ALL OUR MONEY IN POKER AGAIN(LUCKY B@ST@RD) ........'RIC

girlluvshockey

Reaction score
You are very right about the slides in Golden. We didnt see any occur while we were there but lots of evidence. Hope was the same, tons of slides that you can see have recently come down.

Good advice....ride safe.

Going to McBride for an extended stay at Easter time. Have 9 days off, so going to try and go for 5 days. Hopefully Golden one more time as well.

Verti-Kyle

Reaction score
Hey Raspberry Nitro.
I am heading up to Golden this weekend. I know you guys haven't seen much new snow lately, but any suggestions as to where we might have the best chance of finding semi-fresh tracks?
I have only ever ridden Quartz Creek and would like to try somewhere different.
Thats interesting to hear about the avalanche activity cause I was looking at the avalanche ratings and they are quite low right now. Goes to show you that even the low ratings doesn't mean that the risk isn't there.
Thanks

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pretty good question as where to find fresh tracks........... if it was me, i would be travelling off the beaten path into Chatter Creek or Silver Mines, due to the longer ride in(not much traffic). The Mines have a HORRIBLE trail :eek:in & out(not groomed & about 15miles), but it's worth the trail to get back there, but it is also some extreme riding back there once in there. Chatter Creek is 70km truck ride off the highway then 20km into the lodge. then you go back behind the lodge to ride & depending on the weather, it can be totally amazing or totally whiteout!!!! the other areas(more popular) are of course tracked up these days. Call & talk to Mike @ SnowPeakRentals in Golden 250-344-8385 & he'll point you in the right direction or just stop by the Rim hotel & he has the shop there off the side of the parking lot.

Good luck & please ride safe

RN

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Shredder, I'd actually like to hit Mcbride one of these times. Never been & have heard good things bout it. I'll have to give you guys a pm when i'm home & get away. You guys won't mind me taggin along??;)

RN

Let me know when you can go. We will be there on the March 15th weekend for sure.:cool:

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HEY, RASPBERRY.... LET US KNOW WHEN YOU'RE THINKIN' OF HEADIN' UP AND WE CAN HAVE A "MINI" S&M MCBRIDE MANIA...... BE GOOD TO RIDE WITH YA AGAIN.... OUR GROUP STILL HAS TO HOOK UP WITH THAT "SHREDDER" GROUP FOR A RIDE AGAIN THIS YEAR TOO, AND TO LET GORDIE STEAL ALL OUR MONEY IN POKER AGAIN(LUCKY B@ST@RD) ........'RIC

hmmmmm
keep me posted, I have never riden out there and I missed ya all in Sicamous!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
HEY JOHNNI... THE SLED'S LOOKIN' GOOD. I VISITED WITH DEANO670 AND CHECKED OUT THE WORK.... TOP NOTCH. WOULD BE KOOL TO SEE YOU UP WITH US LOW LIFES OUT IN MCBRIDE... SORRY, YOU'D BE SLUMMIN' BUT WE COULD SHOW YOU ONE OF THE BEST SLEDDIN' AREAS, BAR NONE(EXCEPT SICAMOUS).... LOL .... ARE YA GONNA BE AVAIL MARCH 14TH WEEKEND???

Verti-Kyle

Reaction score
Thanx R Nytro. I have heard lots of good things about the Riding up at Chatter creek, unfortunately we have a newbie along with us this weekend so I don't want to get him into something that he won't be able to handle.
I know he has a sled rented in Golden and its not from G.S.R so maybe its from the same guys you suggested we talk to.
We'll try and find a place that will be beginner friendly and hopefully keep the rest of us entertained.
What are your thoughts on Silent Pass? I've heard its a long trail in, but how is the riding?

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Silent is one of my favorite places to ride.......... bar none!!!! it has some fun tree riding when the weather gets crappy, it has some cornice drops for the jumpers & it some hills for the highmarkers in your group as well. the trail is long, but groomed every Thursday I believe. probably best to pack gas everyday there, even if you don't think you'll need it. it's a good trail in & out thru the trees up there, but from time to time, can get chewed up a bit. this year it has been good though.

Chatter is an easy trail ride in from the trucks(groomed quite a bit) & it has some easy rolling hills to play on for the "newbies" & then some BIG stuff for the more experienced. You definitely don't want to scare the new ones off by taking them in somewhere they're worried about!!!!

Have a safe ride

RN

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys I wouldn't mind going that weekend either. The March.14 weekend is open and I have no plans either. Miny S&M mainia sounds like an other great hoot. Except this time I want in on the Poker game.

Verti-Kyle

Reaction score
Anybody been around golden last week, what are the conditions like?

Just got back Monday from Golden. Rode Gorman on Saturday and it was awesome. I heard they didn't have much new snow but was completely surprised at how much they had. It was pretty warm so the snow was heavy and had great traction but was alot of work to get out if you got stuck.
Went to Hope Creek Sunday and it looked amazing but unfortunately we had a breakdown right at the top of the trail in and had to turn around and tow my buddies sled out so didn't get to ride.
Definately worth checking out.

Top Bottom