Goggle Recommendations

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Im looking for some goggles for this sled season. Looking for and recommendations that people may have on what models to look at? Hows the fit in your helmet model? Is the nose piece that some models have a worthwhile feature to consider?

Second, Im looking for a balaclava/breath box (whatever you want to call it). Any suggestions on one of these? My helmet doesn't have on and I don't feel like buying another helmet at the moment.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Im looking for some goggles for this sled season. Looking for and recommendations that people may have on what models to look at? Hows the fit in your helmet model? Is the nose piece that some models have a worthwhile feature to consider?

Second, Im looking for a balaclava/breath box (whatever you want to call it). Any suggestions on one of these? My helmet doesn't have on and I don't feel like buying another helmet at the moment.

Hello!! if you scope a few threads down from this one there is a wicked thread on goggles. it is full of info. As far as a breath box. where do you ride, and what kind of gear are you riding in. Quite often an abundance of fogging is due to the body overheating due to gear that isn't functional. You want your gear to breathe, keep you warm, and keep you dry. then if needed look into a breath box. Many of the goggles come with a deflector of sorts, helps to channel the condensation away from your goggles. also the foam your goggles are made with should be thick and suited for not only snow use, but snowmobile use. Try your goggles on with your helmet to make sure they fit your face shape and your helmet opening.

I freakin am in love with smith. Quality and not super spendy, these goggles have rocked my whole family for 3 years! but check out that other goggle thread!

Trish

bourgon

Reaction score
I have had good luck with higher end Oakley! Tryed the 509 did not fit well and fogged up after first ride even with the fan! And found they did not fit well in the 509 lids! I find the doo lids have one of the better breath deflectors from what I have tried! And have had good luck with cheap smith goggles but I did take 3 pairs and extra lenses!

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been cruising some goggle threads also getting ideas.

The reason I am considering a breath box is it gets cold here and with a normal balaclava my nose is exposed and gets cold. Its more to keep my face warm and allow me breathing space instead of a face tight balaclava, not so much to help with fogging.
The nose guards on some goggles, is it all for deflecting your breath or do they provide some wind protecting for your nose?

Another question I would like to add is lense colours. I know I want a clear (have a MX goggle with this that I enjoy riding my dirtbike with), and I have a blue mirror/orange tint lense SPY snow goggle, but any other lense to look at? Saw some light sensitive lenses also mentioned.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been cruising some goggle threads also getting ideas.

The reason I am considering a breath box is it gets cold here and with a normal balaclava my nose is exposed and gets cold. Its more to keep my face warm and allow me breathing space instead of a face tight balaclava, not so much to help with fogging.
The nose guards on some goggles, is it all for deflecting your breath or do they provide some wind protecting for your nose?

Another question I would like to add is lense colours. I know I want a clear (have a MX goggle with this that I enjoy riding my dirtbike with), and I have a blue mirror/orange tint lense SPY snow goggle, but any other lense to look at? Saw some light sensitive lenses also mentioned.

Hi again Frosty. For extreme cold days I wear the Motorfist Vader balaclava it is warm but again wicking so you don't get super wet then fog when wearing it. As far as goggle tint, the yellow smith, I've found is by far the brightest with the most definition on overcast flat light days. I wear my sensor mirrors for other days. Blue was pretty cool too as far as a flat light day. For fog the yellow for sure, as it illuminates and gives you more sense of clarity for what is around you.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on smith goggles they are cheap and work the best. If you don't have a breath box look into a thing call no fog, it's stupid looking but works! Or you can buy universal fit breath boxes that Velcro into your helmet for about $20

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should try goggles on with your helmet. I almost bought a fly helmet a few weeks ago but when I tried my 509 aviators on, they didn't sit right. The fly helmet was wider than my HJC.

I really like my 509 sinisters. I've had them for years.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a respro foggy breath box. Its neoprean, i found the factory ones too thick and push on my bose or angle my goggles funny. I found the no fogs too warm. Only issue with it is its designed for a enclosed visor helmet not a mx so its a bit short but works for me.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a pair of SPY's that have never fogged up. They are getting a bit banged up but I'm gonna run em. The foam and fit are top notch. My $0.02. Cheers!

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We run smith ISO goggles because the fit well, have great lenses, and never fog up. I run a generic breath deflector in my helmet rather then a balaclava till about -15c, it seems to help keep googles clear and my noose from freezing.

goodtogo

Reaction score
I have been having great luck with the dragon nfx goggle( seems to fit my face ), breath box makes a big difference also

rlook

Reaction score
Check out the "No fog" neoprene mask. I've been using this since '99 (had to replace a few times). I ride in Yellowknife, riding in temps as cold as -30. I use a balaclava along with it of course in those cold temps. Works very well to keep you warm and not fog. I also use it snowboarding!

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, and more the better so keep them coming. I am going to take a look at some of the models and pick out some I like and post them up on here.

For the people using the "No Fog", how does it fit into a MX style helmet? Anybody have any pics?

For people using the generic breath boxes, how do they mount inside the helmet? Does the helmet have to have mounting points for them already?

Thanks again

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another vote for No Fog. I've been running one for 7 years. I generally only put it on below -10C or on the trail when speeds are 60kph+, especially in the morning. Also great on the big powder days. I have only ever worn a mx style helmet, and bought it because my helmet's a cheapy HJC that came without a breath deflector.

I have also had good luck with Scott goggles. I generally run the OTG goggles as they seem to fog less, I think they have more volume in front of your sweating face and more ventilation. Usually run clear, or blue if it's sunny out and tool cold to run sunglasses.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where does everybody buy their goggles? I am looking at mainly Smith and SPY for the moment.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been using Scott googles with no issue and with an fxr cold stop mask on cold days without issue.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where does everybody buy their goggles? I am looking at mainly Smith and SPY for the moment.

Depending upon Location, T and T powersports In Bonnyville and Main Jet Motorsports are 2 dealerships I've worked at that both carry Smith and price fairly

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my 509 burant sinisters and 509 lid. Fits awesome!

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I prefer my Smith's over 509's. My Spy goggles are up there with the Smith's. I prefer my Oakley's most of the time though. Ya I carry 4 goggles! Lol

509's fog up a lot, I won't be buying those again.

Top Bottom