Go Pro Interface issue with Transciever....please read

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmmm good info. talking with the orthovox rep he was telling me that although your beacon may make static interference noise when it is near a cell phone or other electronic device it will not effect its use. but this is much different with the faulty readings.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just took my AST1 and cell phones were brought up. They had heard of cases where cell phones messed up the signals so best to have them off.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is good to know.. I'm going to try this tomorrow as I have the Go Pro and Tracker II... Not a good combo. Never the less I will be retiring Go Pro and source out possibilities. I have tested with my Galaxy Android and there was no interference... Not to say that is real world.. Thank u for the heads up Climbmax.

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there a possible issue with having the GoPro on your helmet & ON and being buried, and having the searchers beacons being messed up because of it?

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
ive been saying that for years !!!!!!! turn the chit off .

Unfortunately you yip so much people tune you out...even if the message is valid...

The most captivating people are those who rarely speak....

thanks ! but we wont be relying on yer tests

Representing the majority are we?????

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm assuming this is just the regular gopro so what signal is it sending out that the beacon is picking up? Has anyone talked to gopro about this? i'm sure they would be interested in doing some testing seeing how this will potentially take food off their table.

Summit800_Andy

Reaction score
He's doing this while the transciever is in signal search mode, id like to see if it interferes the same after its picked up a signal from another transciever.

Summit800_Andy

Reaction score
Is there a possible issue with having the GoPro on your helmet & ON and being buried, and having the searchers beacons being messed up because of it?

He was showing it only interferes from about 30-40 cm away. So if someone was searching for you and got close enough for your gopro to interfere, i think he would have already found you. :)

Darrell262

Reaction score
Website
www.calculatedrisk.ca
I don't think its as bad as the video shows. Pretty much all electronic devices put out RF noise. maybe the go pro doesn't have very good shielding to prevent most of its RF from leaving its case. The Beacon is searching for its signal and can not find any so any RF hitting it is gonna confuse it till it can find its signal.

also. How often are you using your Beacon searching when its on the ground? never, if it could find any signal I am sure it would pick it up and ignore the little RF being outputted by the go pro.

Theres a good chance you would take your helmet off when you search and most are on the helmet.

As for transmitting. I am sure that the beacon is transmitting a much more higher power signal then the the RF noise from the Go Pro so I don't really see that as a problem.
If people are super paranoid they could always add tinfoil around the go pro to help counter the RF noise.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and the drunk chimes in randomly again ...

so clearly many of you have not dun much play, testing, practise wif da trancivi thingy eh ... ???

every-farkin electronic thingy will have an effect ... fact !!!
but is the mp3 player putting out enough uumph ...

a sony point and shoot ... but only in movie mode affected tranny, but only when almost touching.

cell phones are a BIG issue !!!

the closer it si to the tranny the worse your search pattern is going ot be.

everything is an issue, this year I want to teast my sled for interferance and I'm sure its gunna be bad.

so wot we found was the "tranny under interferance" numbers for distance would be true, but arrows pointed us back the way we came.
the numbers for meters from victom got higher and we were being pointed exactly away from it. this is with 3 differnet tranny's. buddy forgot his cell was still on but told us it wasnt.

so make sure the camera man is aways from you and your not running the sound gear or remote flash etc etc ... eh

but who the fark does tranny searches anyway ... me aint gunna save me ...

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and the drunk chimes in randomly again ...

so clearly many of you have not dun much play, testing, practise wif da trancivi thingy eh ... ???

every-farkin electronic thingy will have an effect ... fact !!!
but is the mp3 player putting out enough uumph ...

a sony point and shoot ... but only in movie mode affected tranny, but only when almost touching.

cell phones are a BIG issue !!!

the closer it si to the tranny the worse your search pattern is going ot be.

everything is an issue, this year I want to teast my sled for interferance and I'm sure its gunna be bad.

so wot we found was the "tranny under interferance" numbers for distance would be true, but arrows pointed us back the way we came.
the numbers for meters from victom got higher and we were being pointed exactly away from it. this is with 3 differnet tranny's. buddy forgot his cell was still on but told us it wasnt.

so make sure the camera man is aways from you and your not running the sound gear or remote flash etc etc ... eh

but who the fark does tranny searches anyway ... me aint gunna save me ...

You remind me of one eye William.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride Whistler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anything that requires power that is turned on and is close to your tranceiver can affect it. I was just in a Companion Rescue Skills Instructor course the other day and we proved a cell phone turned on in the pocket had a devistating effect on the ability of the tranceivers to give accurate readings.

Airplane mode is no different....phones should be off.

www.ridewithchrisbrown.com

Top Bottom