Global Warming Worries Unfounded

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not saying we shouldn't be good stewards of our resources and I actually like the cleaner engines but...

Ian Rutherford Plimer is an Australian geologist, professor emeritus of earth sciences at the University of Melbourne, Professor of Mining Geology at the University of Adelaide, and the Director of Multiple Mineral Exploration and Mining Companies. He has published 130 scientific papers, six books and edited the Encyclopedia of Geology.

Born February 1946 (age 67) 12
ResidenceAustralia
NationalityAustralian
FieldsEarth Science,Geology, Mining Engineering
InstitutionsUniversity of New England,University of Newcastle,University of Melbourne,University of Adelaide
Alma materUniversity of New South Wales,Macquarie University

ThesisThe pipe deposits of tungsten-molybdenum-bismuth in eastern Australia (1976)
Notable awardsEureka Prize (1995, 2002),Centenary Medal (2003), Clarke Medal (2004)

Where Does the Carbon Dioxide Really Come From?

Professor Ian Plimer could not have said it better! If you've read his book you will agree, this is a good summary.

PLIMER: "Okay, here's the bombshell. The volcanic eruption in Iceland . Since its first spewing of volcanic ash has, in just FOUR DAYS, NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to control CO2 emissions on our planet - all of you.

Of course, you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress - it’s that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans and all animal life.

I know....it's very disheartening to realize that all of the carbon emission savings you have accomplished while suffering the inconvenience and expense of driving Prius hybrids, buying fabric grocery bags, sitting up till midnight to finish your kids "The Green Revolution" science project, throwing out all of your non-green cleaning supplies, using only two squares of toilet paper, putting a brick in your toilet tank reservoir, selling your SUV and speedboat, vacationing at home instead of abroad!!!

Nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle, replacing all of your 50 cent light bulbs with $10.00 light bulbs.....well, all of those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just four days. The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in just four days - yes, FOUR DAYS - by that volcano in Iceland has totally erased every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast, carbon. And there are around 200 active volcanoes on the planet
spewing out this crud at any one time - EVERY DAY.

I don't really want to rain on your parade too much, but I should mention that when the volcano Mt Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in all its years on earth. Yes, folks, Mt Pinatubo was active for over one year - think about it. Of course, I shouldn't spoil this 'touchy-feely tree-hugging' moment and mention the effect of solar and cosmic
activity and the well-recognized 800-year global heating and cooling cycle, which keeps happening despite our completely insignificant efforts to affect climate change.

And I do wish I had a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud, but the fact of the matter is that the bush fire season across the western USA and Australia this year alone will negate your efforts to reduce carbon in our world for the next two to three years. And it happens every year.

Just remember that your government just tried to impose a whopping carbon tax on you, on the basis of the bogus 'human-caused' climate-change scenario. Hey, isn’t it interesting how they don’t mention 'Global Warming' anymore, but just 'Climate Change' - you know why? It’s because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past century and these global warming ‘BS’ artists got caught with their pants down. And, just keep in mind that
you might yet have an Emissions Trading Scheme - that whopping new tax - imposed on you, that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer. It won’t stop any volcanoes from erupting, that’s for sure!!!

But, hey, relax...... and have a nice day!"

Forbes also has a fairly long but very interesting editorial on the subject at

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/08/21/the-new-york-times-global-warming-hysteria-ignores-17-years-of-flat-global-temperatures/

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Denying climate change is like denying sunsets. The climate has always and will always change. The question is are we influencing it? IMHO CO2 is plant food and just causing distraction from more important environmental things.

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hardly. Notice how Pilmer is referred to as a "Climate Change Denier" rather than a scientist with a differing opinion on Climate Change. That is how it works, you cannot disagree with those whom push the man made Climate Change agenda as you are a "denier" which is a condescending term rather than a term accommodating differing opinions. It certainly is possible that China, the U.S. and India are having some effect on the weather over the long term although no one can say due to all the externalities that affect weather, exactly how much is naturally occurring and how much is man made. If you want to see real climate change wait until the next large meteorite strike which is long overdue or the next volcanic eruption of the magnitude of eruptions that occurred in the early days of mankind. Unfortunately, although Alberta is a relatively minor contributor to greenhouse gas emmissions our new government buys into this less than exact science, hook, line and sinker and we are in for a world of hurt before this is all over.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well said Roy. climate scientists agree we are on the tail end of global ice age #4....start worrying when #5 is triggered by a flying rock or volcanic activity not seen in any of our lifetimes, such as the Yellowstone eruption. because it most definitely will not be humanity causing the next cycle of global warming. unless we make one hell of a comeback....

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like how all these liberal a$$holes are trying to tell me the earth is a billion years old and my great great grampa was a monkey too. They want to take away my guns, stuff me in a cage and ride around on an electric scooter like some kind of circus freak. Yeah no thanks. Next thing I know, some demon worshipper is going to tell me the earth is round and orbits the sun or some bullsh!!.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like how all these liberal a$$holes are trying to tell me the earth is a billion years old and my great great grampa was a monkey too. They want to take away my guns, stuff me in a cage and ride around on an electric scooter like some kind of circus freak. Yeah no thanks. Next thing I know, some demon worshipper is going to tell me the earth is round and orbits the sun or some bullsh!!.

Yeh, and let's not even get started on the bull s*** about people going to the moon and Kennedy wasn't offed by the CIA. What do these media jerks take us for, some sort of uneducated hicks that are going to believe this stuff they are trying to feed us.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also take a look at the Forbes article. I can't say that the climate isn't changing or that the human race isn't having an effect. The Forbes article also points out some issues that have always had me wondering such as ocean levels. Haven't seemed to change much in the past 100 years or so... Take a read.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/08/21/the-new-york-times-global-warming-hysteria-ignores-17-years-of-flat-global-temperatures/

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm no scientist, sucked at that school chit...but if the scientific community knows the earth is billions (?) of years old... And we have only measured temps for a couple of hundred years...

Is this not a classic case of "small sample size" ....
what if we are on 10000 year cycles...??
The only scientific thing that is absolutely factual certain at the moment is ... A lot of money is about to be made or lost in this debate....

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fact. ; The most important discovery , EVER , by scientists is

" people believe anything if you tell them it was discovered by scientists ".

Or people who claim to be scientists. Probably a good plan to listen and take all of the information with a grain...or shovelful...of salt. Both sides of the discussion have their members who are the equivalent of the conspiracy theorists who swear the Americans did not land on the moon (it was all done in a studio). Some of it is kind of amusing though. I like to find the humour while living in the giant petri dish formerly called earth.

Top Bottom