Global Newscast - Mar 18-10 (Heli-skiers speak out about Revy Avalanche)

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the two Guys from France were skiing with the Wiegle operation???

looks like someone didn't do their homework.

Maclintock

Reaction score
Wiegle is concerned about the tourism industry.
How many europeans (which is 99% if his clientele) even know about the sledding here>? He has a tourism industry that does nothing except line his pockets..
Like I said before, he has his own restaurants, his own accommodations, his own transport services.... there is not one Canadian benefit in his operation.

I do agree though that we appear as a bunch of loose cannons, and we better clean up out act.

not that we all are, but the 5% that do the things that make the news, if things turn ugly, make us look bad.

I do beleive the helicopter pilots, some guides, and all his staff are Canadians?
So is that not a benefit to Blue River???????

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do beleive the helicopter pilots, some guides, and all his staff are Canadians?
So is that not a benefit to Blue River???????

No this does not. His helicopter pilots are so many days in so many out and they all live elsewhere. He supplies his staff with housing and meals. Only about 10% are residents of what we call Blue River. His business does very little for our little hamlet.

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THATS IT!!!!!!

I'm gonna run for prime minister and set this country straight..

Death penalties for pedephiles and hienous crimes
Work for welfare
Ignore the extreme right, ignore the extreme left (no matter how loud they are) and look out for the middle class tax payer.
No turbans in the RCMP or Military... a uniform is a uniform, wear it as is or don't sign up...
Recognize the fact that the govenment should work for the people not the other way around.

As prime minister I will fly westjet and stay in a super-8 like 90% of my voting public...

Our minister of the envirinment should be a scientist not a politician, minister of finance should be an accountant, minister of defence should be a decorated military figure.....ect.ect.ect....pizzes me off when they "shuffle the cock-ists" if anyone can look after any portfolio how effective can they really be...

Sorry off-topic but I'm getting riled up....

You got my vote Bogger! When are you going to start campaigning?:beer::beer::beer:

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No this does not. His helicopter pilots are so many days in so many out and they all live elsewhere. He supplies his staff with housing and meals. Only about 10% are residents of what we call Blue River. His business does very little for our little hamlet.

I stayed at wiegles for a few months with a pilot and his family. Like you said lexy they don't do anything to support the local economy, everyone ate at his own restaurant the saddlemtn, almost all his employees stayed at his own hotel across the road.
The only thing I had to buy local was my own beer.
He also has his own snowmobiles! What about the helicopter crash that killed his daughters bf? Didn't here anything about that.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, Weigle is an #$@^&, no question !.

He'd Best not be throwing rocks when he lives in a Glass house. Could happen to him tomorrow, the science of predicting snow avalanches is not perfect.

Be careful out there guys, there are still some bad layers in the snowpack.

And thats what happpens!

Can-Do

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
. Twice last year his helicopters were summoned to help rescue efforts where snowmobilers were involved. In both those cases his high paying guests were left stranded on a hill for unknown periods of time. .

K.

with the liability to strand anyone on a mountain for an unknown period of time..i highly doubt it

Kiwionsnow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is what MW is really up to. This is why he is loud on snowmobiles.
Didn't you know that this is his valley .................

Paste this into your search engine.
the link does not get you to the right info. copy short cut and paste does.

www.wiegele.com/docs/resort_at_saddle_mountain

Last edited:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is true. however this is what you pay for when going with mike weigle. if you pay me 10,000 a week i will dig as many snowpits as to prove safe as this is my job. your safety.

how many backcountry skiers do you think dig snowpits when not guided? whether it be sled skiers or other means of backcountry skiing?

i dont know. im just throwing it out there.

lot's

we( my touring crew) do for sure, many times it's not a full on pit. when skinning you can hear the whoomping or even see the snow compress all around you.

it really depends on where we are, we ski the same area's often enough (weekly if possible) and know what has happened with weather that we feel full pits are not needed.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You bet Ric - I thought the same thing when I looked at the media stats on the CAC website as well. How come the media hasn't been reporting this and how come Les Auston of the BCSF hasn't mentioned this in all his interviews with the CTV news media?

I respect what you are saying but the difference is that I paid for my little piece of front yard - Mr. Weigle didn't pay for the public land that he conducts his private business on. He better be careful about complaining - the next time a cat-skier or heli-skier gets into trouble I'm going to be pushing for a letter from the BCSF about tenured operations on public lands where the public does not see a dime of the profit from these operations. I wonder how many members of 'joe public' aren't aware of what really goes on in the BC backcountry.........

As Rescue Pilot stated - Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.....

I don't beleive he gets his tenure for nothing. I would guess he pays a fee per person who skiis with him. I am not defending the guy but I can see why he has a hate on for sledders.

Sledders have brought this negative reputation onto ourselves.

Things will settle down in the media as soon as something else happens( anyone heard about sars, bird flue or mad cow disease, lately???) and everyone will forget about sledders.

We as a user group need to keep pushing each other to make the right choices.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is what MW is really up to. This is why he is loud on snowmobiles.
Didn't you know that this is his valley .................

Paste this into your search engine.
the link does not get you to the right info. copy short cut and paste does.

www.wiegele.com/docs/resort_at_saddle_mountain

You have to go to his website and look at the left side for "forms and documents" Then click on the "Resort at Saddle Mountain"

YES HE WANTS TO BUILD A WHOLE SKI RESORT.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geez, that's an ugly ski hill. I wonder what it's like to sled up there...

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i look at the hill everyday especially on the mornings when you wake up to 3 feet of powder, and Ive always wondered what it would be like to ride haha

Top Bottom