Getting a septic system installed

sledder325

Reaction score
Plan on getting a type 1 septic system installed with drain field.
Was wondering do you think it's ok to get it put in even though I am not sure of the exact location of the house I will get built, and if I do get the system installed now I wouldn't be using it or building my place for like 5 years.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the purpose of doing it ahead of time? Knocking down current house in few years and current system failing? It would make building a lot more hassle as you can't go over that area with equipment or pile anything on it. Can't see any benefit to doing it ahead of time.

sledder325

Reaction score
What's the purpose of doing it ahead of time? Knocking down current house in few years and current system failing? It would make building a lot more hassle as you can't go over that area with equipment or pile anything on it. Can't see any benefit to doing it ahead of time.
Just thought to get that done while I have the money, it's a property me and my wife bought we cleared about an acre of it to build in the future.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Is the technology or are the permits going to change in the next 5 years? Another thought, is the price going to drop once the supply chain gets back to normal? Tough decision. I understand the "while I have the money" scenario but maybe invest the money into something very stable.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just thought to get that done while I have the money, it's a property me and my wife bought we cleared about an acre of it to build in the future.
PM sent

Many things to consider ahead of septic.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with buying required items and sitting on them but 5 yrs is a long way out.
not sure in Alberta but around here I believe you need a building permit and p eng or a septic Design. Building inspector will need to see the building plans before issuing a septic permit.
like cycle said to you will likely need the area for digging/ building materials, hate like hell to see that tank or field get broken.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You do need a building permit to obtain a septic permit for new build. To put the system in before hand, would not make sense till you’ve broke ground. As others mentioned, it would be in the way of a custom build, and likely end up compromised… but not so much on a modular home.. Where is the water well if there will be one? That is first and foremost, but being an acreage I assume that is in place. If it’s a pipe and gravel system, it’s not too big of deal but has to be within your yard (no animals on it) and grass should be cut on it. if a sand mound is required, you should install it down wind of the home.. As well, the size of the home will dictate the size of the system.
If you don’t think the supply chain is going to improve, it may not hurt to stock pile the pipe required but that being said, you need to know what type of system will be approved by your soil type/county.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plan on getting a type 1 septic system installed with drain field.
Was wondering do you think it's ok to get it put in even though I am not sure of the exact location of the house I will get built, and if I do get the system installed now I wouldn't be using it or building my place for like 5 years.
I would wait after Nov of this year there is a new code book coming out, going this week for the 2 day coarse on it and will see what the changes will be. With that been said if you put one in this yr and get it inspected but i would wait till you have your building staked out.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna go the other way here. I bought a piece of property beside my house here years ago with the idea of building on it and selling the one I'm in. Would have been $5000 to do septic system back then, and I procrastinated. By the time I got to thinking seriously about building 10 years later septic systems had jumped to $20,000. Ended up chit canning the whole idea and sold the property instead. Wish I'd put it in when I bought the property and rented out a couple of RV sites while I was waiting. Lesson learned.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna go the other way here. I bought a piece of property beside my house here years ago with the idea of building on it and selling the one I'm in. Would have been $5000 to do septic system back then, and I procrastinated. By the time I got to thinking seriously about building 10 years later septic systems had jumped to $20,000. Ended up chit canning the whole idea and sold the property instead. Wish I'd put it in when I bought the property and rented out a couple of RV sites while I was waiting. Lesson learned.
Under new regs this would be a very difficult way to go. Not many places are conducive for gravity flow or lagoons.

Big money can be with the well, I would start there depending on the plans. Depending on the ground, requirements, items needed these new systems can be 20-50 easy. Be a shame to put a system in for rv then get a building permit for a 3 bedroom style house and the district makes you upgrade.

Do it once and do it right

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thought is if you buy the materials now you will have to store them somewhere safe. Lots of stuff gets stolen.

Top Bottom