Game Trail Cameras - anyone have experience?

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, mum wants to get dad a trail cam for use as added security in the farm yard.

Dad doesn't hunt, chances are the camera will be mounted above the shop and left out for long periods of time.

What sorts of featured should I be looking for? Any brands I should stay away from?

Thanks

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, mum wants to get dad a trail cam for use as added security in the farm yard.

Dad doesn't hunt, chances are the camera will be mounted above the shop and left out for long periods of time.

What sorts of featured should I be looking for? Any brands I should stay away from?

Thanks

I have 8 game cameras. Cabelas have worked the best. Lithium AA last about 2 months.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Find one with a memory card with lots of storage. I have one at my cabin to catch anyone snoopin around. Can't remember the make but it will have a few hundred pictures on it after a month or so. If it's for your yard at home I would almost look at more of a security camera that films constantly.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two I use at work that I got from Cabellas. Cuddeback E3. It doesn't give off flas or red dot light when it records or takes pics at night. Priced around $220 I think it was. Just using Duracell and get a few weeks easy. Also uses memory card.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a bushnell trophy can and 2 stealth cams at night for deer walking by they're great but for catching someone in a truck in your yard it's not that good the headlights blind the camera that you can't see anything, when the truck turns you can make out the model and colour if your lucky but nothing else, your better off looking for something more industrial like more rugged connected to a power supply, I know folks that have a thing called the cattle camera and it's attached to their fences from miles away as well as they're farm buildings and they can view it right from tv and record at night it's pretty sweet but probably pretty pricy too

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One that you can view the pics right on the unit would be handy. None of my 3 have it so I always have to pack a digital camera or bring the cards into the laptop...

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One that you can view the pics right on the unit would be handy. None of my 3 have it so I always have to pack a digital camera or bring the cards into the laptop...

Get with the times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did a bit of research a few years ago bought a Reconyx. Pricy, but great photos, infrared so no flash or noise. I think now you can buy some where if a photo is taken it sends it to your phone which would be cool.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a moultrie at my acreage. It takes 4 C cells and takes an SD card of your size choice. I pulled it down to check it n September and it was still working after 6 months on the batteries and had taken almost 2500 pictures. It seems to trigger easily on branches moving or something because most of the pics show nothing of interest. I have it placed about 20m from the road and in the pics people and licence plates are easily identified. It was about $150 so it's kind of mid range price-wise. I'm sure there's lots of reviews and ratings online, and I think that these cameras get better as the price goes up. I'd try to get one that uses the biggest batteries possible. I've found that anything that uses AAA batteries are unreliable and that AA powered items can be as well depending on the battery type and maker used

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If cost is not an issue, Spypoint is the camera for you. Pics are relayed right back to your phone or computer as they are taken ($25/month) for this wireless service. Cameras are $450-650. Going to want to bear box these and possible weld them in place, don't want them gone missing.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uway, $20 a month on a pay as your go sim card. If you buy one. I'd buy this. Canadian made and support Rogers cell towers. Accessories include a solar chargers, security box etc. Edmonton if you do a search a bird watching store should come up. Only problem is the 3am text messages to your phone when a critter wanders by so just be sure to double check settings or it is at lest one troubled night sleep lol.

UWAY Outdoors Canada | UWAY Trail Cameras | 3G Security Cameras | MB600 | VH400HD | VH200HD | Game Camera | Wireless 3G MB600 Cellular Camera

EdmontonNature’s Corner8728-51 Ave. NW780-433-3474

Last edited:

OVERKILL

Reaction score
I have a Reconyx camera as well and would highly recommend one! takes great photos with little to no photos takes with no object on screen..Longest I've had mine out was from Oct-Apr one year and the batteries still had life in them (6x C batteries) as well as it had takes 3000+ photos in that span.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a few but looking for one that takes better night pics when the animals are moving more.
And to the comment a few up you can get a card reader for $12 from amazon that plugs into your cell phone to view the pics

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cellular game cameras. Any reviews ? Looking at getting one or two. Just need information and what everyone figures is best.

Thanks

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found this old thread.
Well since my question I now have 3 spypoint cameras. 1 has its own solar panel.

One is a micro lte

The third is the new flex from spypoint. Well it quit. But has a 3 year warranty. Spypoint sent me a new flex camera today at no charge.

So far happy with spypoint

Has anyone tried the Vosker cameras?

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reconeco cams out of Fort Saskatchewan. Have the cell capable ones. The cameras are awesome as is the service.

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If cost is not an issue, Spypoint is the camera for you. Pics are relayed right back to your phone or computer as they are taken ($25/month) for this wireless service. Cameras are $450-650. Going to want to bear box these and possible weld them in place, don't want them gone missing.
SpyPoint Flex Cellular is good. Have a few of them watching the property. Not for big game but for losers breaking into buildings. There is no cost for the phone service if you pick the basic option.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SpyPoint Flex Cellular is good. Have a few of them watching the property. Not for big game but for losers breaking into buildings. There is no cost for the phone service if you pick the basic option.

My flex quit and my new one just arrived yesterday it was on warranty. My 3 spypoint cameras are all sending pictures just fine.

Only one has a solar panel on it.

So I run the rechargeable cubes from spypoint.

Pictures come to the phone ok.

You are using yours for security kind of what I am doing now also.

So I am currently looking into a Vosker as it’s more a security camera than a game camera.

Top Bottom