Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also

1704925961220.png

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So l followed that. It beeped and l stopped. Come spring time this scenario is pretty much every ride. Running WOT while overheating is one thing but 1/4 throttle and slowly watching the guage rise is another.
I would be arguing the case with BRP then. The owners manual is clear in what to do, and you followed the instructions. They are clearly trying to avoid paying out a warranty claim and hoping you will just roll over and let them stick it to you.

Last edited:

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if the manual doesn't list any normal or temperature limit values how is someone supposed to know the limit until you experience it?
it's a forum so this is gonna sound like i'm being a smartass but that's not at all my intent but to answer your question regarding limits, you're supposed to read the owner's manual and follow what to do with various codes. i know, none of us do including myself but i think from BRP's perspective this is pretty cut and dried now that i've looked at the manual regarding overheating and thought about it. the limit you referred to is the first set of beeps. you're supposed to stop immediately and try to cool the sled and not keep pushing it. if you can't cool it down then the manual specifically states to not run the engine. if you get a critical overheat warning then the first set of beeps and their directive to stop the engine were disregarded and you've got 3 of those and that's what BRP is going to point to as the reason for denying the warranty. it may not be what caused the sudden engine stops but i don't know how you could prove otherwise.
regarding doing this in the past with no prob it could be that engine specs change. i keep hearing how these engines run with less and less oil to satisfy emissions so if true, they're gonna be less tolerant of out-of-parameter situations.
it may still be worth it to run up the chain to the BRP's jefes but maybe talk to your dealer first and see what they say.
good luck.

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
I believe it’s a normal thing since the etec came out rental companies fire up the sitting sleds in the am and let them go till they shut down on there own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do they shut down because of overheating or a time limit?
manual makes no mention of an auto shut off feature because of heat.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe it’s a normal thing since the etec came out rental companies fire up the sitting sleds in the am and let them go till they shut down on there own

thats a time limit, the engine wont overheat at idle in any temp just with the surface area of the cooler alone dissipating the engine heat. Even in the summer. Different than the overheat operation, I've never pushed one far enough to see if it will shut down but it will eventually go into limp mode. For safety reasons i dont think they can shut off an engine of a vehicle in motion

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the sled still running…?

It was. I had to authorize a complete teardown before they would even talk to BRP. So presumably sitting in pieces now.

it's a forum so this is gonna sound like i'm being a smartass but that's not at all my intent but to answer your question regarding limits, you're supposed to read the owner's manual and follow what to do with various codes. i know, none of us do including myself but i think from BRP's perspective this is pretty cut and dried now that i've looked at the manual regarding overheating and thought about it. the limit you referred to is the first set of beeps. you're supposed to stop immediately and try to cool the sled and not keep pushing it. if you can't cool it down then the manual specifically states to not run the engine. if you get a critical overheat warning then the first set of beeps and their directive to stop the engine were disregarded and you've got 3 of those and that's what BRP is going to point to as the reason for denying the warranty. it may not be what caused the sudden engine stops but i don't know how you could prove otherwise.
regarding doing this in the past with no prob it could be that engine specs change. i keep hearing how these engines run with less and less oil to satisfy emissions so if true, they're gonna be less tolerant of out-of-parameter situations.
it may still be worth it to run up the chain to the BRP's jefes but maybe talk to your dealer first and see what they say.
good luck.
Yeah, l didn't go hotter the initial warning. These sleds drink oil, actually. Those claims of lower oil usage were quietly dropped years ago.

Last edited:

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think most of us think nothing of getting to the temperature where it gives us the warning beep. It's a pretty normal thing with the mountain sleds.

Well, l have a 23 G5 turbo with only 700km. It quit twice up in the alpine at full throttle. I've been riding over 30 years in the mountains and know what a full throttle insta stop of the engine usually means. It rode out normally but a piston got scuffed bad.

I'm being denied warranty because there are three overheats logged in the ECU. Sucks to be me.

This is such a crock of ch!t, I’d be all over them and my dealer, what a bunch of crooks.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the spring, when the trail gets icy, I take a milk crate or grocery basket with me. Fill it full of snow and bungee to the tunnel up side down. Works really well. Toss it in the bushes when you get to the soft snow.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was. I had to authorize a complete teardown before they would even talk to BRP. So presumably sitting in pieces now.

Yeah, l didn't go hotter the initial warning. These sleds drink oil, actually. Those claims of lower oil usage were quietly dropped years ago.
ok spell it out for my simple mind. you've gotten 3 overheats according to BRP, scuffed a piston, but never got the critical overheat warnings? if so, then you have a case but proving you never got the warnings will be the issue if i understand this correctly.
i'd ask to see on BUDS where it shows the warnings occurred.

Last edited:
Top Bottom