G5 Turbo Overheat

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok spell it out for my simple mind. you've gotten 3 overheats according to BRP, scuffed a piston, but never got the critical overheat warnings? if so, then you have a case but proving you never got the warnings will be the issue if i understand this correctly.
i'd ask to see on BUDS where it shows the warnings occurred.
I heard the beep and l did just what the manual says. I pulled over and cooled down. Same as every otherone on the trail that day. Does it say warranty void if dash beeps?

The scuffed piston is unrelated to the 'overheat'. That's what 30 years of mountain riding tells me. I spoke with a woman at BRP customer service.
After taking all my info and putting me on hold for a long time to study the dealer write-up she came back and said she's not allowed to talk to the warranty dept. It sounded like BS. When l get back from work a trip to the dealer is next.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does it say warranty void if dash beeps?
It excludes
"Damage caused by abuse, abnormal use, neglect, racing or operation of the product on surfaces other than snow, or operation of the product in a manner inconsistent with the recommended operation described in the Operator’s Guide"

In my opinion, you followed the direction of the owners manual quite clearly. I would be discussing the situation with the dealer, and asking for very concise reasoning as to why BRP is declining warrantly, and where that reasoning is outlined in teh owners manual, or any other warranty agreement you have entered.

1705014974887.png

Here's a link to the full 2023 Deep Snow Manual if you are interested: https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/public/tmp/520002960-MMO23-EN-WEB.revA.pdf

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard the beep and l did just what the manual says. I pulled over and cooled down. Same as every otherone on the trail that day. Does it say warranty void if dash beeps?

The scuffed piston is unrelated to the 'overheat'. That's what 30 years of mountain riding tells me. I spoke with a woman at BRP customer service.
After taking all my info and putting me on hold for a long time to study the dealer write-up she came back and said she's not allowed to talk to the warranty dept. It sounded like BS. When l get back from work a trip to the dealer is next.
the key to this whole thing is which beeps did you hear? how many bars? it sounds like you weren't aware (and neither was i) that there are two sets of beeps and that the second one is essentially the warranty voiding one or at least multiple instances of that will void the warranty. is it possible that you heard the second set on the 3 occasions that BRP is alleging? it's gonna be just about impossible to argue with the BUDS report.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It excludes
"Damage caused by abuse, abnormal use, neglect, racing or operation of the product on surfaces other than snow, or operation of the product in a manner inconsistent with the recommended operation described in the Operator’s Guide"

In my opinion, you followed the direction of the owners manual quite clearly. I would be discussing the situation with the dealer, and asking for very concise reasoning as to why BRP is declining warrantly, and where that reasoning is outlined in teh owners manual, or any other warranty agreement you have entered.

View attachment 277999

Here's a link to the full 2023 Deep Snow Manual if you are interested: https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/public/tmp/520002960-MMO23-EN-WEB.
i think BRP is going to say (if the critical overheats actually happened) that he didn't follow the protocol which is to never let the sled get that hot in the first place, that's why there's not one but two warnings. damage is or is likely to occur at overheat and any subsequent engine issues will be blamed on that and especially for multiple instances. this whole thing is a cautionary tale regarding low snow conditions and BRP's view of overheats.

Last edited:

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok spell it out for my simple mind. you've gotten 3 overheats according to BRP, scuffed a piston, but never got the critical overheat warnings? if so, then you have a case but proving you never got the warnings will be the issue if i understand this correctly.
i'd ask to see on BUDS where it shows the warnings occurred.
I would try a different dealer. These sleds have had a cooling issues on low snow for years. I would think it would be hard pressed to find newer doo that hasn't had an over heat warning on it.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one that got a heli ride out cause it was running fine and wouldn't start after lunch. Was a bad ignition coil. Warranty replaced coil and ECM. Technician notes stated they connected to BUDS, read codes for high coolant temp, and major engine overheat and shorted ignition coil.

Warranty covered so maybe the dealer plays a role.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would try a different dealer. These sleds have had a cooling issues on low snow for years. I would think it would be hard pressed to find newer doo that hasn't had an over heat warning on it.
The turbo is also liquid cooled. So that taxes the cooling system more. They can see that the warnings came on at low speed and low throttle position. No management in on Friday so l wait.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one that got a heli ride out cause it was running fine and wouldn't start after lunch. Was a bad ignition coil. Warranty replaced coil and ECM. Technician notes stated they connected to BUDS, read codes for high coolant temp, and major engine overheat and shorted ignition coil.

Warranty covered so maybe the dealer plays a role.
I bet they do...

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny thing about the overheat warnings. If I premtively stop to cool down before the warning, I sometimes get it upon startup for 30 seconds until the coolant has had a chance to circulate. I'd be pissed if that counted towards a warranty denial.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they have issues because they’re not designed for low snow conditions. that’s not necessarily a design fault(but could be because theG5’s have less coolant). if a sled gets pushed to or past the second warning multiple times and then scuffs a piston it should come as no surprise that warranty is denied.
I scuffed a piston on stand up jet ski thanks to a loose hose clamp. engine seized but I was able to restart it and ride home after it cooled down. mechanic showed me both pistons which were pretty scuffed up. OP is gonna have a helluva time showing that the overheats and scuffing aren’t related.
if the OP only pushed it to the first warning and warranty is denied then that’s jacked up but he hasn’t clarified the details of that but BUDS is saying otherwise.

Last edited:

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny thing about the overheat warnings. If I premtively stop to cool down before the warning, I sometimes get it upon startup for 30 seconds until the coolant has had a chance to circulate. I'd be pissed if that counted towards a warranty denial.
agreed but who knows, maybe the software accounts for that so there’s a “grace period” of sorts.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they have issues because they’re not designed for low snow conditions. that’s not necessarily a design fault(but could be because theG5’s have less coolant). if a sled gets pushed to or past the second warning multiple times and then scuffs a piston it should come as no surprise that warranty is denied.
I scuffed a piston on stand up jet ski thanks to a loose hose clamp. engine seized but I was able to restart it and ride home after it cooled down. mechanic showed me both pistons which were pretty scuffed up. OP is gonna have a helluva time showing that the overheats and scuffing aren’t related.
if the OP only pushed it to the first warning and warranty is denied then that’s jacked up but he hasn’t clarified the details of that but BUDS is saying otherwise.
They haven't shown me the BUDS report only told me some of it. There was no overheat to my knowledge. Just the first warning(s).

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You talk a lot about a situation you don’t know a damn thing about ….

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
relax. the op posted a topic on a public forum to discuss and i’m not taking anyone’s side but trying to figure out why BRP would deny warranty based on what he and the manual say. maybe BRP are being dicks about it or maybe there’s more to it. pretty simple.

Top Bottom