Fuel Consumption on M1000, Will Pipe & Fuel Controller Make it Noticeably Worse?

cfowler

Reaction score
I find my M1000 is already a hog on gas in comparison to the 800's. Some areas with long ride-ins or a full day of riding will leave me with fumes as I get back to the truck. I want to add some power and have decided to go with a single pipe vs. a twin for simplicity and reliability and figure the best thing might be to add a pipe w/controller and maybe some clutch work. If I feel my fuel consumption is bad now, am I really going notice it with these upgrades even more? Most of my riding will be at high altitudes. Also, what clutch upgrades would one recommend for this machine? And which pipe setup?

Thanks for any input!

Chris

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Fuel Consumption on M1000, Will Pipe & Fuel Controller Make it Noticeably Worse?

anything you do to make the engine flow better and add power will burn more fuel,you bought the m1000 for the power right?it's a give or take thing no comprimize

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Re: Fuel Consumption on M1000, Will Pipe & Fuel Controller Make it Noticeably Worse?

I have the complete SLP pipe setup with a boondocker box and when properly set up you will actually gain fuel milage. I burn 2-3 litres more at the end of the day more than my buddies M8 and I usually put a few more miles on than him. I am really happy with the boondocker box and my fuel milage. I think when I figure it out I get between 8 and 10 mpg depending on the day, 8 being a big powder day working hard all the time. The M1000 runs really rich stock especially in the mid range where you will do a lot of your riding.I have heard the speedwerks pipe is good as well, it is a little louder but also a bit beter on the top end.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Most would say speedwerx is made for the cats..if you put the pipe you need the controller..also need the y pipe...I recommend if you are new to this take your sled to a good shop and have this installed and set up..evryone has different numbers and settings and most of the factory numbers do not work up here..it will burn a bit more fuel...pack a jerry can..the power increase is worth it..I recommend Brent Linderman at Arctic Edge..he has done many just like yours..including mine

the devils reject

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If your in kelowna contact terraalps racing there in Kelowna and specialize in the M1000

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What year is your sled? I run an '08 M1000 personally and love it. I run a single speedwerx pipe/y-pipe with a boondocker box. The set-up works awesome i've sold and installed lots of them. I have numbers to put into the bd box that'd have you ready to rip and bery litttle adjusting or tuning. I'd recommend doing the xhaust as it'll make the sled seem like you got a new sled, the exhasut change on these sleds makes a huge difference. The only time that mine is kinda hard on fuel is when it is to the bar. Do you just ride mtn's or do you also ride flatland at all?

Top Bottom