Floor drain in sled trailer

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So....after weeks of looking for a drain....I said piss on it and made my own:) I put a screw-on capped drain spigot on both ends of the channel...hope it works:) Off to get the underside of the trailer and drain channel spray foamed tonight...and off to Sicamous tomorrow night to test it all out!!

Attachments

• photo 1-1.jpg
    photo 1-1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 675
  • photo 2-1.jpg
    photo 2-1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 668

John Boy

Reaction score
Looks good Kevin. Where did you pick that up?

That is exactly what I have been looking for. I am going to run heat trace in mine of my inverter so hopefully that will work to keep the water flowing.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks good Kevin. Where did you pick that up?

That is exactly what I have been looking for. I am going to run heat trace in mine of my inverter so hopefully that will work to keep the water flowing.

X2 on the where did you get that?

I made the drain. I picked up all the aluminum at metal supermarket....and the plumbing fittings at Home Depot. I calculated its volume capacity...and it can hold 2.7 US gal.

i tested it this weekend and it worked awesome. I had the trailer floor spray foamed...including the underside of the drain...so technically the drain storage is heated and can't freeze. I left the heat on all night...sleds and floor were dry and the drain was 1/2 full of water. Went outside and unscrewed the drain plug and emptied the water. Worked like a charm:D

John Boy

Reaction score
I made the drain. I picked up all the aluminum at metal supermarket....and the plumbing fittings at Home Depot. I calculated its volume capacity...and it can hold 2.7 US gal.

i tested it this weekend and it worked awesome. I had the trailer floor spray foamed...including the underside of the drain...so technically the drain storage is heated and can't freeze. I left the heat on all night...sleds and floor were dry and the drain was 1/2 full of water. Went outside and unscrewed the drain plug and emptied the water. Worked like a charm:D

If you dont mind what metal materials did you use? I know I am going to have to order what ever I need or make a trip down to Edmonton to pick it up.

Thanks

P/S The syspention works great.

Last edited:

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you dont mind what metal materials did you use? I know I am going to have to order what ever I need or make a trip down to Edmonton to pick it up.

Thanks

P/S The syspention works great.

Glad the suspension is working good!!

I used 4"x2" aluminum rectangular tubing and drilled 1-1/4" holes for the drains. I riveted 1" aluminum angle onto the long sides of the rectangular tubing for the top mounting flange. I then welded up the ends with flat bar and welded (2) 1-1/4" aluminum pipe spigots on the bottom for the drain ports and epoxy'd an ABS clean out fitting with threaded plug onto the end of the spigot. Got everything between metal supermarket and Home Depot.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad the suspension is working good!!

I used 4"x2" aluminum rectangular tubing and drilled 1-1/4" holes for the drains. I riveted 1" aluminum angle onto the long sides of the rectangular tubing for the top mounting flange. I then welded up the ends with flat bar and welded (2) 1-1/4" aluminum pipe spigots on the bottom for the drain ports and epoxy'd an ABS clean out fitting with threaded plug onto the end of the spigot. Got everything between metal supermarket and Home Depot.

question, why do you not leave the drains unplugged, the floor should be the coldest area in the trailer, was thinking they may freeze. just askin.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
question, why do you not leave the drains unplugged, the floor should be the coldest area in the trailer, was thinking they may freeze. just askin.

My theory;

My trailer floor is spray foamed including underneath the drain...so the drain storage is a heated space. In the morning when you open the plug...the water rushes out, but if it just trickled out an open drain hole it would gradually freeze (just like a waterfall does in the winter).

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i see, yes the water may freeze from the drain overnight. the floor insulation should keep the water from freezing in the trailer, guess ya can experiment and find out easily enough. i have to get a roof vent on mine as the trailer turns into a sauna, and the rear door freezes. pita. i drilled a hole in the floor, raise the trailer front, helps some.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So HRT the lip that sits on top of floor doesn't stop water from running in aguess, how thick is that material.....thx and nice job

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So HRT the lip that sits on top of floor doesn't stop water from running in aguess, how thick is that material.....thx and nice job

That was an initial concern of mine too, but it doesn't seem to be an issue. I used .120 material and I put a nice bead of silicone on the transition. My beavertail is pretty sloped...so the water flows right over the lip. The whole thing works pretty flawless....much better than expected!!

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is good to here, my trailer not heated and just the heat of machines melt most off and then re-freezes in the back door, ch!t sometimes need to go from front door to push open, lol. You should figure out a cost on building some and sell, lol I need one ......

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is good to here, my trailer not heated and just the heat of machines melt most off and then re-freezes in the back door, ch!t sometimes need to go from front door to push open, lol. You should figure out a cost on building some and sell, lol I need one ......

you need a front door?

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So....after weeks of looking for a drain....I said piss on it and made my own:) I put a screw-on capped drain spigot on both ends of the channel...hope it works:) Off to get the underside of the trailer and drain channel spray foamed tonight...and off to Sicamous tomorrow night to test it all out!!

Hey bud, can you by chance give me some more info on what you did for the gutter system and how you incorporated into the trailer floor???
looms great and hope to have something like that flanged up for a trailer!!

cheers!!

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on underside of trailer floor put the electric heat pads that go under floor tile in bathrooms, then spray foam underside. Plug heat pads to your gen set an your floor is warm an will stay dry also.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey bud, can you by chance give me some more info on what you did for the gutter system and how you incorporated into the trailer floor???
looms great and hope to have something like that flanged up for a trailer!!

cheers!!

I used 2"x 4" rectangular aluminum tube - drilled a series of holes on one of the 2" faces - TIG welded some plate on either end to cap it - drilled two holes on either end of the bottom 2" face and welded some round tube spouts on them for drain spigots and bonded some threaded plumbing caps onto them (so you can empty the drain channel onto the ground). I then attached some 1" x 1" aluminum angle on either long side for a mounting lip.

I lucked out because I had two cross members at the back of my beaver tail, so I cut a slot in the floor sheeting and dropped in the drain. I then siliconed all the edges and voila!

The drain storage is approximately 2.5 gallons

Top Bottom