first post,need carb help.

King Canada

Reaction score
Hi all,new member here.Found out about you in Robb at the quad rally.bought my first sled last month .a 96 formula 3 ski doo,and I want to get it running good.Is there a good link for stock settings,like how many rpm is recomended at idle,and how many turns out from seated should the screws be ?I realize it will need fine tuning, just lookikng for a starting point.with 3 carbs I have my work cut out for me. thanx for any advise.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome too the site,I used to have a polaris triple and all I can say is get it running and keep it stock.Before long you will likely move on too something lighter.I have a bud who rides a formla 583 and loves it although it must be a different year cause its a twin.Great starter sled!
Someone on here will help you out......summitric?????
catmando!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
HEY, WELCOME ABOARD, KING CANADA........ I WILL FIND THE LINK AT WORK TOMORROW AND POST IT FOR YOU WITH ALL THE SPECS........ IS YOUR SLED BONE STOCK??? WHAT MODS ARE ON IT??? DO YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A CARB SYNC TOOL??? HAVE YOU CHANGED SPARK PLUGS, FUEL FILTER(IN TANK), CLEANED THE CLUTCHES AND SCUFFED UP THE CLUTCH FACES, DRAINED AND PUT IN NEW FUEL???:confused:

King Canada

Reaction score
yes the sled is bone stock and it has new plugs in it,gapped to 30 .I dont have a sync tool ,I tried counting turns and matching all 3 to the first carb.If I can set up 1st,the rest will be set to the first ?The filter in the tank is something I didnt know about, thanx.Can I use red scotch brits en the clutch faces?and the brake disk as well?The thrid jug rave valve was sticking and the pipe was cold,till I popped the cover off and worked it a little.now it sounds kinda mean:).

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup, You Can Use The Scotch Brite On The Clutch Faces And Even The Belt(usually Pretty Glazed Too. No Need To Deglaze The Brake Rotor. I Would Probably Take All 3 Rave Valves Out And Clean And Service Them..... Put New Gaskets, O-rings, And A New Tie Strap Around The Boot Bellow. Very Easy To Doo, Just Don't Mix Up The Cylinders And Be Sure The Rave Valve Goes Back In Same Way Came Out. Use A Good Cleaner(eg Brake Cleaner) To Clean The Rave Valve Of All The Carbon Build-up. Most People Don't Know About The Fuel Tank Filter, And Chances Are Its Original(they Are Very Cheap). Is There Not A "tune-up" Specifications Decal Under The Hood, Or On The Drive Belt Cover??

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
HEY KING CANADA: I FOUND THE INFO PAGES I WAS LOOKING FOR YOU.... THIS HAS LOTS OF INFO FROM TUNING TO CLUTCHING/ SUSPENSION ETC. IT IS FULL OF INFO......... LET US KNOW IF YOU NEED MORE...... YOU SHOULD TRY AND FIND A CARB SYNC METER(ONLY NEED 1 AND THEN CAN ADJUST THE OTHER 3 TO MATCH). BE SURE TO SET THE BASE IDLE STOP TO BE SURE ALL 3 CARBS START MOVING AT THE SAME TIME........ :cool:

Last edited:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 pieces of welding rod/wire/ anything that you can set under your slides will get ya synced real close. Just set them under the slides ( they have to be just contacting the bottoms of the slides) then very slowly apply pressure to the throttle, while watching the rods. Get them all moving at the exact same time and you're close. I have a sync tool somewhere.......:confused:

King Canada

Reaction score
very good idea with the rods.the large screw is idle, whats the smaller screw?mixture at higher rpm? I want snow bad.I got a hopped up King Quad and I dont even care about the mud anymore.bring on the snow.100 + hp is something Ive never felt yet.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
very good idea with the rods.the large screw is idle, whats the smaller screw?mixture at higher rpm? I want snow bad.I got a hopped up King Quad and I dont even care about the mud anymore.bring on the snow.100 + hp is something Ive never felt yet.

smaller screws are the air/fuel mixture screws..... usually 1 3/4 turn +/- 1/4 turn I believe.

Top Bottom