Fernie Snowmobile Association; emergency shelter build.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I spray 2lbs closed cell insul, no it isn't rodent resistant :( It is basic white styrofoam, that is purple (that does not absorb water, humidity or mold) It's an R-7 per inch with the vapor barrier throughtout. I can spray to anyting except water, so yes.... the under side of the floor would be applicable. My truck is a 2 wheel drive, 2012 Hino 195 and i'll post a pic soon.
Also it should be covered with osb, drywall,or a thermal barrior like URE-K. OSB would be the best route.

Ball park guesstimate is $1.20/sq ft/inch.
Travel time, labour, accomindations, can be negotiated :beer: :beer: :D

So all your equipment is in the truck? How is it for pulling up 2000' on a logging road? I would go ahead with the radio......

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So all your equipment is in the truck? How is it for pulling up 2000' on a logging road? I would go ahead with the radio......

You see the truck, and it's a turbo diesel. As long as the road is somewhat good without washouts, your calling on the radio. And I'm good to go :D

Last edited:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What R value would you recommend for the floor?

IMHO and not just being the Manager or Salesman of the company. A 3" spray (R-20) would be far superior to an R-40 batt and poly.
I guess to better answer your question..... Is the floor beneath going to have a heat duct and a cold air return, or is it just going to be a cold space?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You see the truck, and it's a turbo diesel. As long as the road is somewhat good without washouts, your call on the radio. And I'm good to go :D

So we are looking at 480 sqft of floor and another 88 sqft of boxing or rim at $1.20/inch = about $700.00. What is the advantage over styrofoam sheets nailed to the bottom of the floor joists?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So we are looking at 480 sqft of floor and another 88 sqft of boxing or rim at $1.20/inch = about $700.00. What is the advantage over styrofoam sheets nailed to the bottom of the floor joists?

ZERO air loss, or the chance of cold air creeping. Take the 1" styro, add your cost (maybe donated) plus labour, donated as well.
BUt your floor will NEVER ROT, due to mold and will always be there.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Or at least it will never rot, from the underside up ;)

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to see one Doug helping another! The shack is looking great FS and that's a great way to help with the build Trashy! I love to see how these projects bring the community together for the good of all of us. I feel guilty for not being able to help with anything so I guess I'll have to sweep the floors and wash the windows when I come to visit.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'll get back to Trashie later tonight but in the mean time here is a progress report from the days activities!

For a Saturday, I was extremely disappointed in the effort from the volunteers; only two of us regulars, an electrician for the rough in, and one much appreciated member who drove out from Calgary.

We accomplished a lot: the roof is finished (ridge, gable and eave flashing) and we installed 4 windows and are ready to tin the south wall tomorrow. A paid contractor came out and rubberized the toilet floors.

The last screw in the roof...........

IMG_1488.jpg IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Wat to go there Doug. Nice to get the roof done and the rest should go alot easier.

The only other time consuming area was the south wall with all the windows and that pretty much got done today. You are correct, the rest will be easier. The soffit and fascia will be a little bit of challenge but with the zoom-boom it will got much faster.

Looks awesome Fernie!
plan is to be done before snow flies?

That is the plan! We will work on the outside until the weather turns ugly. The chimney will be installed early this coming week, and we have the floor under the stove to doo then we will be good for the winter. Door frames aren't here yet so that may be a problem
but we expect them anytime.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Lots of little things done today; insulation baffles, bug plugs under the ridge, reamaining Tyvek, hurricane clips, deck railing posts, some more windows, and most of the tin on the window wall.

Another fine Albertan came for a couple days of work. Thank you STAMS, it is much appreciated!!

IMG_1494.jpg IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So..... I`m off to Fernie this Saturday, to spray foam insulate the underside of the floor.
Also to help start on the batt insulation as well, I spoke to Doug last night on the phone and he could use an extra body or 2??? to help with the batt insul. I will supply, NIOSH N-95 dust mask's for anyone who needs one
I'll be spraying for 4-6 hours Saturday morning, but after that. I'll jump on a pair of stilts, and help with the work above the floor :D
As well as a few hours on Sunday, before I head home.

Top Bottom