Fernie Snowmobile Association; emergency shelter build.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Are u planning any solar lighting. I will speak with some people around here about donating some panels and batteries and I would donate my time to install.

Wow! We are planning some solar. What and when hasn't been decided yet. It isn't a sleep-over cabin and lighting sort of lends itself to that aspect. We have though about timers and special locks but nothing definitive as yet. PM me with suggestions as I am in a learning mode with solar. We are thinking of a special communication system in the cabin that would be solar powered.

We will be putting in receptacles and switches for a generator set-up to be used for family events. That is down the road a month or so yet.

This is an awesome forum and people are amazing!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks great good job!!!

Im off this weekend are ya banging hammers? I may be able to get down there?

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
What were u thinking for comunication. I have a VHF I don't use anymore since I got my new truck and permantly mounted one. If that's what your thinking it's yours. Just tell me a frequency you wAnt and I will program it up for you. Also I might be able to make Saturday work. Where is the new site at from the wranglers cabin. What would we need.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What were u thinking for comunication. I have a VHF I don't use anymore since I got my new truck and permantly mounted one. If that's what your thinking it's yours. Just tell me a frequency you wAnt and I will program it up for you. Also I might be able to make Saturday work. Where is the new site at from the wranglers cabin. What would we need.

Thanks. It is a VHF with a programmable mike that will only accept transmission on some pre-programmed frequencies. A guy is working with Sparwood Communications to investigate and get the details.

The site is on the Coal Creek trail out of Fernie. When you come to the Paiges Draw sign, go straight (do not go up the hill) until kilometer 52. There will be a sharp right-hand turn but you want to straight and follow along a "dirt" road for 400m. Cabin site is on the right. If you need further or more explicit directions I can get that to you.

Hammer, belt, tape, maybe a skill saw, should be it. I can let you know for sure later in the week.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Maybe we can plunk one of these units up there for you. This runs our house in Seymour Arm. Might be slight overkill for the cabin. sea-can%20030.jpg

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey we are heading to the Kootenays on Saturday morning anyhow with no big rush to get there. We can put half a day in as well if you like Doug. If anything we can supervise!

I can throw some handtools in the truck, bring just about anything else.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I wasnt 10 hours away id be there in a heartbeat
funny how some are "busy", but sure will enjoy using it once its done
looks good so far Fernie, keep us updated on the build

Promise ill come see u at the snow show this yr ;)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Looks like we will be camping in the pass. What is the best way to the site from the pipeline. I will be on a quad.

Get to the Wrangler's cabin and go "down" the McEvoy FSR and somewhere around km 28 (actually at the name change to Morrissey FSR) there is a road to the right. That will go up to the Coal Summit and continue around to the power line. There will be a sharp left turn on a corner with a "dirt road" (no gravel) going to the right. The cabin site is 400m along that dirt road.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey FS are you guys going to put up a web cam? crowfoot has one and its sweet to see if the snow has hit and how much has fallen on a marker in front of the cabin to show total snowfall

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hey FS are you guys going to put up a web cam? crowfoot has one and its sweet to see if the snow has hit and how much has fallen on a marker in front of the cabin to show total snowfall

Hadn't thought about but it sounds like an interesting idea except for the friggin' thieves......

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Well if you put it high enough up a pole that is hard to get to or lock it in a area of the cabin that you need a ladder to get to it shouldnt be a problem.
Here is crowfoots web cam Crowsnow Home Page

and I totally forgot, we don't have any service. Even my OnStar is sketchy.

So right now, the short answer is no.

Top Bottom