Fernie conditions 2014/15

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got In late and rode up to new cabin and up behind. Pretty skinny snow. Was coming down at 5 when we came back down. Trail is pretty icy so cooling is tough. Lots of landmines out there

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We started at 10:30 and come down at 2:30 via coal creek. Trail was in great shape and took the Morrissey logging road all the way back towards Corbin and it was untouched and we were the only ones who had been on the road. Did not venture off trail or pipeline except one spot we did as we knew it would be safe. Great day for a trail rip to break in a new T3 and break in a few new belts. Just under 50 miles. For sure need lots more snow but we fully expected that we would not have blower snow conditions. Played it safe!

Last edited:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard it's snowing pretty good right now. Still lots of land mines.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It rained to over 6000 feet for 3 days straight. We are starting over almost! Last Sunday was great and we need cold temps and a lot more snow. I would not even bother going out until another 2-3 foot dump comes.

Jvl

Reaction score
Just thinking with all this rain that happened makes for an unstable base. So I have a question about coal creek and those big slids that came down last year. Are the clubs and guiding outfits that use that road, force to have constant avalanche monitoring in those areas to be able to run out there this year? This was a reason that there wasn't any grooming out Hartley,I was told before.

polarischik

Reaction score
Heading out to Fernie from Calgary tomorrow. Should we check out Coal creek or any other suggestions? We are newbies looking to just get out there and practice riding!

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coal Creek as good as any place to start. Not sure conditions will be great but good to learn on some firmer stuff before the deep stuff...

Heading out to Fernie from Calgary tomorrow. Should we check out Coal creek or any other suggestions? We are newbies looking to just get out there and practice riding!

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It is raining in town right now and snowing up higher...the trail heads will not be in very good shape as the freeze level today and tomorrow is supposed to be at 4,500-4,800 ft elevation. Sled decks and small trailers are the best for access right now because you might have to drive up the roads for a ways to find a decent staging area...4 place trailers are not recommended.

PINandPRAY

Reaction score
Did any snow accumulate to anything in the last couple nights around Fernie/Corbin? was thinking of heading down that way tomorrow. Looks like its raining in Fernie ATM.

riposte

Reaction score
We got a few inches the last couple nights but its pretty warm today and you still have a solid chance of smacking something solid up top. This years snow pack is the worst I've ever seen for this time of year, we're probly behind at least 5ft and I just bought a new sled so I'm losing my mind!!!

PINandPRAY

Reaction score
We got a few inches the last couple nights but its pretty warm today and you still have a solid chance of smacking something solid up top. This years snow pack is the worst I've ever seen for this time of year, we're probly behind at least 5ft and I just bought a new sled so I'm losing my mind!!!

Thanks for the update, and i'm in the same boat as you. Really love riding the Corbin area this time of year

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This season sucks big time.. Even spending time on my honey to do list because the season so far is blankin crappy

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is a bad start this year! Nice to see some fresh last night but warm down low and I am here for 2 weeks straight till the 4th and sure hope to get out but have no desire to go without much much more snow!

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of sled did you get?

riposte

Reaction score
'14 pro rmk, ripper of a deal so I couldn't pass it up.
PS: is it my computer or is typing on this website a pain in the a$$???

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice sled! I use my phone/tapatalk for this site and not a computer. Well we might have to get out for a ride this winter.

Top Bottom