Fernie conditions 2014/15

Bllrdr

Reaction score
Sure hope ferniesnow tells us where that was at!!!??!!??!!? Heading down from Calgary tomorrow and I hope we have a terrible day of stucks!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Is it a secret where ferniesnow went?

No secret at all deaner! It was in Elkford; the trail in goes through 5 pretty big avalanche paths and one was down across the trail already. The others are just waiting. -28 this morning guys, and I thought yesterday at -19 was cold.

This is not for the feint at heart and not for the guys that can't pass up untracked chutes. It is dangerous and tricky with the present conditions. Avalanche protocol needs to be in the forefront; one at a time across the chutes, wait at the other end for buds to make it, stay on the trail as there are lots of early season hazards in the debris paths and one doesn't want to be stuck/broke down with broken a-arms in that zone.

BTW, the T3 174 is all it is cracked up to be and a little more. I haven't got the sway bars out yet and the carving ability is really no different than a 163". The only times the beast was stuck was when my better half was riding it and her stucks were from throttle decisions or lack of throttle. They are a sweeeettt sled. Great job BRP!

pancake

Reaction score
Looks awesome !! The advantages of living where it's at ! I went on Friday the 28 , got to a high spot, kicked the snow and turned around. Hahaha

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hey ferniesnow, what's the staging area right in Fernie called? That's where we are headed today. What's the snow like up that way?

It is called Coal Creek. I wasn't there yesterday. It is white........just kidding. Should be close to decent. Early season hazards are a definite concern. Lots of rocks and stumps still a problem. Be careful.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Planning a trip around december 27th. Where would you recommend a group of 6 to ride? Never rode fernie. Experience level... second year on the mountains, good handle on things.. Had no issues last year in Revelstoke and Sicamous areas. Typical 154/163 Summits.

Thanks

Pantherscry

Reaction score
Planning a trip around december 27th. Where would you recommend a group of 6 to ride? Never rode fernie. Experience level... second year on the mountains, good handle on things.. Had no issues last year in Revelstoke and Sicamous areas. Typical 154/163 Summits.

Thanks

Stage at coal creek. Lots of area to explore from there. You can buy maps of the area in Fernie or get basic ones online. Bring money for trail fees.

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
me and a buddy are heading out tonight for a ride tomorrow. any suggestions from the locals as to where to maybe get some decent now for a first ride of the season? was thinking coal but wondering if any locals had any fresh updates.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Wayne, I haven't been to Fernie for a week. I have no idea what the new snow did last week in regards to the gooy stuff if fell on. There will be a base of some some sort. Stumps will be on the menu so be careful of the humps of snow. Enjoy :snow:

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wayne, I haven't been to Fernie for a week. I have no idea what the new snow did last week in regards to the gooy stuff if fell on. There will be a base of some some sort. Stumps will be on the menu so be careful of the humps of snow. Enjoy :snow:
ok thanx Doug. looked like they may ge a bit of snow over there today. my guy backed out as well. I just got home from Manitoba and m itchin to get out for a ride.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok thanx Doug. looked like they may ge a bit of snow over there today. my guy backed out as well. I just got home from Manitoba and m itchin to get out for a ride.
I am heading out tonight with a friend and we are heading up coal creek to check things out tomorrow. Breaking in his new 174 so we will likely stick to roads and some safe areas. Will report tomorrow night what it like. They are getting some snow right now.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talked to a group that rode coal creek today, they said about 2 inches fell during the day when they were riding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talked to a group that rode coal creek today, they said about 2 inches fell during the day when they were riding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perfect! It's still falling right now from the look of the cam on the hill so hopefully another couple more over night! Are you up to join us bopper in the morning?

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
going to learn a new area within our SAR jurisdiction so I don't feel like a fool if I ever get a call into that area

Top Bottom