Fernie conditions 2014/15

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snow is really spring like, rode Saturday and Sunday in the rolling hills, untracked snow all day in a few secret spots Saturday and I actually think it snowed a fair amount Friday night but consolidated when the temps rose, so it was soft an heavy. Sunday was even worse with the rain all night (settled more and not as soft). snowpack is going to shrink a lot this week with the crazy temps. we NEED a solid 3 foot dump and some proper winter temps to shape things up.until we get some proper snow I will be looking for somewhere else to ride...

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I am well aware of that . That is an even bigger problem. Best not get me started.

I hate to continue the derailment of this thread...but i have to say it...quit the slagging of the out of town visitors.

You are new to the forum, new to Fernie, new to sledding and in your first 6 posts all you did was bitch about the out of towners, the crowded parking lots and how grooming the trails just encourages the out of towners to visit our wonderful town. Give it a break! enjoy your new life in Fernie...were not going to close the door to others after your recent arrival. I guess you consider yourself a local now.

Reaction score
I actually wouldn't have moved here if I knew just how bad it was . I'm only here for my job and have been looking to get out . Fernie is overpriced for a small town ... Obviously because of the natural beauty and recreation . But when you can't even get out to enjoy these things without a flood of red plates taking over all the good spots ... What's the point of paying a premium to be a local ? This goes for kooc in the summer too ... And every other nice spot within a days drive of Calgary .Yes I realize I may sound like a real dick . Lol . I'm actually a pretty nice guy if you met me in person . Just very frustrating to see all this bitching and moaning over riding areas and politics and most of the people don't even live here . I say if your not from here you shouldnt even be able buy a yearly trail pass . You should buy a yearly bc pass . 5 grand per person . Too much ? Stay in Alberta then . The money could go to expanding these areas to make room for the people that live here to enjoy their own backyard. Sorry but too much is too much . I have seen Coal creek and morrisey both with over flowing parking lots and looked real close and every plate was red . How is that ok ? You live here and wanna go sledding for the day and show up to that ? Anyways I'm not making friends here bitching . Lol . Nothing is gonna change so I'm out .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
"I actually pay taxes in your town buddy, you must have missed my sarcasm. Its alright your forgiven. "

Well if your paying taxes here then that must mean that your here .. So no that's not a good thing . Keep your taxes and stay home thanks and I'll go sledding in my back yard and actually be able to park

chris79

Reaction score
Ok, well in that case i will stay in alberta then just because you say so. Give me a break You whining ****ing baby. You must not be a true local if the only pace you ride is coal creek and morrissey. Try the sisters or hartley. You will see my plates there too 10 ply. Been riding in "your" town for 10 years, and love coming out here. Be here over revy if the snows good. I do not want to ruin this thread, but I'm not listening to this piece of **** running his cock trap. Thats my last post on this subject.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm only here for my job and have been looking to get out

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!

So do you ever travel outside of the area you live in? lets say, Montana, other parts of BC, heaven forbid...Alberta? Do you think all the Locals from those areas should treat you like dirt when you are visiting? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...good rule to live by.

Parking is also not a problem...your riding a sled...its not like you have to walk anywhere.

Last edited:

hevy_chevy67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually wouldn't have moved here if I knew just how bad it was . I'm only here for my job and have been looking to get out . Fernie is overpriced for a small town ... Obviously because of the natural beauty and recreation . But when you can't even get out to enjoy these things without a flood of red plates taking over all the good spots ... What's the point of paying a premium to be a local ? This goes for kooc in the summer too ... And every other nice spot within a days drive of Calgary .Yes I realize I may sound like a real dick . Lol . I'm actually a pretty nice guy if you met me in person . Just very frustrating to see all this bitching and moaning over riding areas and politics and most of the people don't even live here . I say if your not from here you shouldnt even be able buy a yearly trail pass . You should buy a yearly bc pass . 5 grand per person . Too much ? Stay in Alberta then . The money could go to expanding these areas to make room for the people that live here to enjoy their own backyard. Sorry but too much is too much . I have seen Coal creek and morrisey both with over flowing parking lots and looked real close and every plate was red . How is that ok ? You live here and wanna go sledding for the day and show up to that ? Anyways I'm not making friends here bitching . Lol . Nothing is gonna change so I'm out .

I come from Red Deer and never have a problem getting a good parking spot. I guess you must be sleeping while all the guys with red plates are tracking out the pow....

Anyways, back to complaining about the snow conditions!

Jvl

Reaction score
Parking is a problem at coal creek when you get blocked in. They need someone directing traffic instead of sitting way out by the old dump collecting money. Sometime there's two of them there. Why can't one collect and one look after parking.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Parking is a problem at coal creek when you get blocked in. They need someone directing traffic instead of sitting way out by the old dump collecting money. Sometime there's two of them there. Why can't one collect and one look after parking.

Ive been parking here for 15 years...never been blocked in. I have seen A Holes parking in the intersection areas where trailers need to turn around and people parking on both sides of the road leaving a very tight squeeze...that's about the only issues I've seen with road access and parking. People just need to use common sense when they park.

Reaction score
Haha . Looks like I struck a nerve . Well I have ridden other places .. Just using those two as an example . Yes I travel to Alberta . I got nothing against albertans personally . I have friends from Alberta . It's just the mass heard that gets in my way all the time that gets to you after a while . Not to mention buying up half the town and driving the prices so high that the average working family here can't even own a home . I guess I can't blame you guys ... If I lived in Alberta and had a sled I'd probably come here too ... And I'd also expect some flack considering the circumstances .lol . Why don't you guys go sledding in Saskatchewan ? That's sounds like a hell of a good idea to me .

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Jesus can we get two pages in a conditions thread without drama?

Doug, are you riding this weekend?

Ya', I might be. Gotta get a few flatlanders looked after this week but so far I am available.

Conditions??? They aren't the worst and they are the legendary Fernie Powder but like someone said, "it is better than not riding". All I will say about the red/white plates is that if it weren't for the tourists coming to ride in Fernie, there wouldn't be the sledding infrastructure that there is today. There would be no grooming, no new cabin, and no future expansion.

Thank you, my fine Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba neighbours.

Jvl

Reaction score
Ive been parking here for 15 years...never been blocked in. I have seen A Holes parking in the intersection areas where trailers need to turn around and people parking on both sides of the road leaving a very tight squeeze...that's about the only issues I've seen with road access and parking. People just need to use common sense when they park.

lucky you

Jvl

Reaction score
Ya', I might be. Gotta get a few flatlanders looked after this week but so far I am available.

Conditions??? They aren't the worst and they are the legendary Fernie Powder but like someone said, "it is better than not riding". All I will say about the red/white plates is that if it weren't for the tourists coming to ride in Fernie, there wouldn't be the sledding infrastructure that there is today. There would be no grooming, no new cabin, and no future expansion.

Thank you, my fine Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba neighbours.

slim green cat tell us what you think of guides. Haha

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of going for a ride on Thurs out of Fernie somewhere if anyone else was going and wouldn't mind one more tagging along. It's been years since I rode there, just getting back into sledding this year....not a beginner but not an expert either!! Thanks.

Reaction score
;. "All I will say about the red/white plates is that if it weren't for the tourists coming to ride in Fernie, there wouldn't be the sledding infrastructure that there is today. There would be no grooming, no new cabin, and no future expansion"

That sounds perfect . Lol . If there was no club b.s and no cabins and no grooming .. Oh and no parking areas big enough for monster trailers ... I'd prob ride coal creek and morrisey a lot more .

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never knew there was a level of entitlement due to where you reside. Funny I lived in Bc before Ab although will eventually move back to Bc so does that mean I should complain about the color or plates when I am sledding? Man all those guys who drive through Ab from Sask to get to Bc, maybe Ab should put a toll highway in place just to curb people from traveling to the mountains to go sledding. Obviously there isn't enough room in Bc for everyone.

I have only been down to Fernie once this winter. I look forward to some fresh deep accumulations of snow in the nearer future!

Top Bottom