Fender Bender $@%!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was gonna post a long response but I will keep it short. Your insurance is suppose to work for you, they other company doesn't give a **** about you.

Don't kid yourself, your insurance company doesn't care about you anymore then the others. They care about their bottom line and that's it.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No injury, my truck was parked when hit. Any insurance guys lend some knowledge how this chit show works? Insurance Adjuster is coming over tomorrow to check it out. How do they decide whats classified as a write off or fixable? I know it will have to be towed and checked out by a autobody shop. Black book would be chit on my rig since its 10 years old, but i have mega extras in aftermarket stuff done to the truck that i'm afraid won't be accounted for. Is aftermarket stuff looked at in total value or am i just pouched. Its worth what its worth and that it?

Appraiser will come look, adjuster just controls the claim, and payment to shops/customer. If written off, you can negotiate the value of your payout with your adjuster, but the value of damage and a base line value for the vehicle is determined by an appraiser. Receipts for maintenance and add ons can help keep your evaluation up. Most insurance companies use vmr for the base value, but usually compare with local listings/classifieds. Alberta usually has slightly inflated values from areas east. Depending on company, write off area start between 60-80% of acv. Most often 75%. If the appraisal hits that region, it will be re-assigned to another department to decide write off or not. If you want it fixed, mention it to the appraiser, they can sway the evaluation quite a bit. Good luck!

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago my son hit a moose with a half ton. Repair estimate was $6200. They wrote it off (body shop was shocked as normally it’s 70% plus)and asked me what I thought was fair. I said 11.5-12k.They wrote me a cheque for 12k. I paid $9500 for the truck in February at dealer auction and had put $1500 into it. Have already cashed the cheque. This was with co operators.

Did you have full coverage on that truck? does it matter? I only have basic coverage plpd. I assume it doesn't matter as the other party's insurance company is the one doing the work. glad you came out on top.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you have full coverage on that truck? does it matter? I only have basic coverage plpd. I assume it doesn't matter as the other party's insurance company is the one doing the work. glad you came out on top.

As long as other company admits fault you're ok, but if not you're insurance won't help you because you don't have full coverage.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do not have collision coverage your insurance company cannot help. Third party, if you know who it is and have their insurance information and a witness that saw them hit it. They will pay reasonable repairs including mechanical if you can demonstrate the mechanical damage was directly related to the hit. Hard to tell from the pictures that the two are related.

PM me if you like.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do not have collision coverage your insurance company cannot help. Third party, if you know who it is and have their insurance information and a witness that saw them hit it. They will pay reasonable repairs including mechanical if you can demonstrate the mechanical damage was directly related to the hit. Hard to tell from the pictures that the two are related.

PM me if you like.

The kid in the car told the police it was his fault, not like he could drive away very easy, his car is fawked. my truck was parked and i was inside so 100% no fault on my end. So far things are going very slow. The adjuster came to look at it yesterday morning. I got a call around 2pm from the claims dept stating they are waiting for the adjusters approval before giving the go ahead for rental coverage and flat deck to tow the truck. My insurance company has done nothing, not even a phone call to me. i made the call Sunday night and never heard back from my company even tho the lady said someone would contact me first thing Monday morning... I finally called them back Tuesday night after nothing. I've had to do the chasing around and contact the other persons insurance. Really hope to see some movement today or tomorrow. Appreciate all the input guys:beer:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insurance companies are there to make money just like any other company. If they don't make money they simply raise the rates and everyone pays more

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The kid in the car told the police it was his fault, not like he could drive away very easy, his car is fawked. my truck was parked and i was inside so 100% no fault on my end. So far things are going very slow. The adjuster came to look at it yesterday morning. I got a call around 2pm from the claims dept stating they are waiting for the adjusters approval before giving the go ahead for rental coverage and flat deck to tow the truck. My insurance company has done nothing, not even a phone call to me. i made the call Sunday night and never heard back from my company even tho the lady said someone would contact me first thing Monday morning... I finally called them back Tuesday night after nothing. I've had to do the chasing around and contact the other persons insurance. Really hope to see some movement today or tomorrow. Appreciate all the input guys:beer:

As long as police documented it you should be ok, still no guarantee. Insurance companies will still defend their party even if they know they are at fault, if they know you cannot prove it. Even if they admit to their company they are at fault, it means nothing. They also normally don't care what the police say about fault.

Currently fighting about a hit and run, have 2 witnesses and other company still won't admit fault, but it's with "new canadians" fawking driver didn't even have a class 1. With insurance companies there is never a guarantee until you've got a check or a fixed vehicle. $10k damage to my truck can't get it fixed unless I pony up $5k deductible.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
If you dont have collision coverage and there is no injurys involved to you where section B benifits may be used then your insurance company really wouldnt be involved. With collision coverage you usually have the loss of use as part of that coverage and you can get a rental from that, Collision coverage is well worth it when your left waiting, but its an addiional cost that many with older vehicles look away from.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

These things are annoying even when they go well. It appears that the liability part seems pretty clear cut but I can't tell you how many times I have seen that go sideways even with witnesses. Hopefully not an issue here. As I pointed out, your insurance company will not get involved if the damage is due to something that you don't have insurance for. If you are using an insurance broker, call them because your insurance company can't open a file.

The reality is that your loss is your loss and by that I mean it really is up to you to move it along. It shouldn't be but it is. Likely you just saw an appraiser who was there to look at the damage to your truck. He (or she) has nothing to do with accessing who is responsible and are just there to see the damage and estimate the cost to repair. That they are there is a positive sign so are likely to proceed with a claim but it will be up to you to make sure that things keep moving along. The system is busy, understaffed and about to be overwhelmed with claims...again.

Be polite and persistent. If you (understandably) get pissy on the phone nobody will return your call and that isn't going to be helpful.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shes a write off! Total repair cost would have been over 11grand... Looking at the truck you couldn't tell, minor scratch on the door and side step. Front tire took the brunt and bent the axle and fawked everything bolted to it. I was disappointed with the adjusters original first number he gave me for value. He was really cool though and we went through all the extras i had put into the truck less then a year ago. Including almost 2g i paid for my hood and paint, plus cost for rims/tires lift kit ect... The claims lady i delt with was awesome, great communication and was friendly even after i had my mini blow up after they said they couldn't contact the driver to accept his story and full responsibility in the beginning. Took them two weeks to accept fault and pay for my rental. This whole experience has been a life lesson for sure. If i would have had full coverage on my insurance my company would have went to bat for me and i wouldn't have had to deal with any of this. Had this happen in summer it wouldn't have been so bad, could of just rode the Harley everywhere...Thanks for all the feed back guys and tips. Now i'm in the hunt for a winter truck. If ya got something under 15g hit me up! Cheers boyz:beer:

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What year and make of truck did you have?
How did they come up with a price of what it was worth.
Can you buy a simliar truck for what they gave you
I have to deal with this right now and don't want them to write it off.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What year and make of truck did you have?
How did they come up with a price of what it was worth.
Can you buy a simliar truck for what they gave you
I have to deal with this right now and don't want them to write it off.

Was a 08 Megacab Hemi Laramie. Truck was flawless, paint was beauty. not the usual rust under flares. Had leather with zero cracks or rips. I made a small fuss on the price because mine was so mint but had higher km's. When they called me and said its a total loss they did give me the option to "buy" back the truck. Giving me what the repair cost would have been and keeping the truck. But the truck would have to be re certified and needed lots of parts before ready to get back on the road. If i had the room to part it out, i would have kept it. I was surprised when talking with the adjuster that he too was scrolling through kijijij looking at similar trucks trying to get close to my number i wanted. What a seller wants vs what a sellers truck is really worth are also two different things. Example: there's a red Megacab on kijiji right now and this asshat's ad says truck has 130,000 km's. i went to look at it and truck is beat to chit. the drivers seat was FULL duct tape, the drivers tail light was taped in place. I jumped in the cab and hit the trip button and bam..."360,000" kms Mother Fawker! i was pissed. He says "oh, well motor only has 130" but he has no paper work and he was asking 12,500$ So many dickheads on kijiji. So my adjuster guy probably seen that truck and thought hmmm 130,000km for 12g well sir yours has over 200 sooo, fawk me right. I'm trailing off topic but you catch my drift here i hope. Start looking for ads on your similar truck and save them. be ready for when they check yours out. Had i kept my receipts for aftermarket stuff i could have got more money back. Lastly, i can buy a similar truck...same year same color....No where near same truck as what i had tho. good luck man.
IMG_2057.jpg

SRXtreme

Reaction score
This whole experience has been a life lesson for sure. If i would have had full coverage on my insurance my company would have went to bat for me and i wouldn't have had to deal with any of this.

Had this happen not once but twice on my Caravan. Only fender benders but none the less the other insurance company stood their ground for their client. I got left holding the bag. I now have collision on both my vehicles. 03 ram and 13 dart .My Insurance company can deal with it for when it arrisses.

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was rear ended in my 1.5 year old truck and it was written off. Turned out the other guy didn't have insurance, good thing I had collision or I would have been screwed. I would recommend full coverage on anything worth over 5. Save your ass in a hit and run or uninsured person, also never know when you might be at fault too. Unless your driving record is terrible it's not that much more to add.

Top Bottom