Federal caribou closures - Paradise Valley Snowmobile Association

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The MD of Greenview does have a bounty program, but sadly it has to be within a few kilometers of farm land. In hopes to help farmers with loosing livestock. It would help caribou and moose numbers to have a season in Greenzone/Crownland as well. Yes I also agree there is no shortage of Grizzly at least not in our area southwest of Grande Prairie.

And Y2Y/Cpaws is constantly talking about how the grizzly population is declining, maybe they are just moving up and feasting on the caribou.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just sent an email directly to the NDP Party here in Little Russia, I mean BC. I have been so pissed off since I first read this that I haven't been able to type up a rational email until now. It's likely to fall on deaf lower mainland ears, but we have to try to let this government know that this is unacceptable.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have copied and pasted some info from the Tumbler Ridge Ridge Riders Facebook page:

Donegal Wilson6 hrs
I am putting together a small presentation for Caribou meetings in the Northeast. It would really help to have some photos to include. Anyone in the Northeast have some snowmobile photos to share? Would love some family photos, view points, wildlife, and photos that show snowmobiles work here
1f642.png
:)
. Pictures of dealers, snowmobile parking lots, hotels with sleds in the lots, the Tim Hortons or gas station with a line of trucks on a Saturday. If you could send them to me at office@bcsf.org by Thursday of this week it would be amazing.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just sent another letter off to MP's Catherine McKenna and Sean Fraser in Ottawa as well, god I hope they wise up and listen.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They use the word extinct. Hmmm. Aren’t 10 million caribou living in the Arctic. .?

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think there are 10 million up there. They are a different species; Barren Ground and Mountain/Woodland Caribou.
Actually they are all the same species, Caribou. The Mountain Caribou giving us all grieve is a sub-species, and yes, they are in danger of going extinct.
This is a tragedy, but not the earth shattering tragedy they want the public to believe.
It is 50 years to late to save all the herds because their habitat has been altered, but there may be time to save some of them.
Unfortunately the only way (imho) to do this is to identify the best habitat left and put them all there, closing it to ALL human activity except that needed to monitor and aid the Caribou.
This would be unpopular with whatever users there might be in the selected area, but, if we are sincere in our statements of support, we (as a sport) will have to accept it.
Before you jump on me with the "what if it's in your area" the Cranbrook Snowmobile Club VOLUNTARILY gave up some prime riding areas years ago to try and help the local herd. If they go ahead with the latest plan of relocating our Caribou, then maybe we can start riding there again.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Actually they are all the same species, Caribou. The Mountain Caribou giving us all grieve is a sub-species, and yes, they are in danger of going extinct.........

Thanks for that Dave. Further to your information, the southern herds are in danger of dying off. But the Mountain Caribou is not really in danger of going extinct. There are thousands of them in northern BC, the Yukon, and the NWT. They are still hunting them!

They are using scare tactics and misinformation to have the public to believe what they want them to believe.

Top Bottom