Failed Nytro front drive axle bearing, Left side

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
After a good day of riding I noticed a weird noise in my driveline. Checked the chain tension, seemed loose. Then went for another 30 seconds and the sled was making some weird noises and didn't seen right. We were close to the truck and not on any bush trail, thank god. Better yet, I was glad I was not in the mountains this weekend. I would of been calling a chopper. We stopped again and took the clutch side cover off, And noticed there was a problem at the drive axle bearing. It was finished. So drove it to the next approach and Steve went and got his truck. We loaded it up OK, but this could of been alot worse if not caught.

The Yamaha Part # is 93306-20589 this is around $49.00
Geez, I just happen to have one extra. Ive replaced this before and decided to buy an extra one.

Attachments

• pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 224
  • pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 224

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any idea how many clicks you have on that bearing? I changed mine for the first time on my apex at 4k. I'm assuming boost is a little harder on all bearings so maybe I should change it out again at 7k?

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happend to me on my old apex a couple years back same spot chewed up my speedo sensor ect looked identical to yours. Ended up changing it on the hill hardest part was getting that old seised bearing off the shaft.

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I changed this at the start of the season. Took apart the upper bearing and re-greased as well. The only bearing I have not done is the one that is in the lower chain case that is always under oil with the chain case. This bearing would have around 2000 km on it. I would say it went a bit early. I'm really glad it did not happen way deep in the mountains, that would of cost a chopper ride. I will be changing it tonight. Also I caught it just as it started eating the plastic on the speed sensor, that ended up being OK.

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Any idea how many clicks you have on that bearing? I changed mine for the first time on my apex at 4k. I'm assuming boost is a little harder on all bearings so maybe I should change it out again at 7k?

Ive changed my bearings and chain every year so far. My last season chain had a broken link. The bearings had cracks on the bottom of the casings. With a turbo I would suggest to inspect them at least twice a year.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Ive changed my bearings and chain every year so far. My last season chain had a broken link. The bearings had cracks on the bottom of the casings. With a turbo I would suggest to inspect them at least twice a year.

good catch ron... good job
i would suspect a

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
sorry i did edit it but it never stuck

what i wanted to say,

i would be looking for a root cause, ie: bent shaft, bearing preload due to new tunnel, poor alignment, something like that,

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
On the old bearing the casing was cracked from water entering and then freezing and expanding. I would also think the additional power of the turbo system would cause some stress to the drive line as well. My chain had 1 broken link last season that I discovered upon my fall inspection. Also I drive my machine like a rental.:d That be a small factor as well.

I know NM (Neil) told me to check over bearings and he taught me how to repack the upper bearings, that will dry out and fail as well over time.

The lower drive axle shaft is on the front bulkhead and the bearings fit in to a cast aluminum housing on the Nytro's I don't believe there is a way to have this out of line.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO, that little drive shaft bearing is undersized for the job it has to do and the environment it lives in. Add another 100HP to the equation and the situation is worse again.

I would advise to change it every year if you ride quite a bit.

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my boosted Nytro I change that bearing every 1500kms and it usaully looks bad but not completly toast, I have talked to quite a few guys who have had this fail, always seems to be between 1500 and 2000kms on the boosted units, lucky time for it to happen

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the old bearing the casing was cracked from water entering and then freezing and expanding. I would also think the additional power of the turbo system would cause some stress to the drive line as well. My chain had 1 broken link last season that I discovered upon my fall inspection. Also I drive my machine like a rental.:d That be a small factor as well.

I know NM (Neil) told me to check over bearings and he taught me how to repack the upper bearings, that will dry out and fail as well over time.

The lower drive axle shaft is on the front bulkhead and the bearings fit in to a cast aluminum housing on the Nytro's I don't believe there is a way to have this out of line.

i have seen you ride, a rental gets treated waaayyy better :d j/k

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A new chain every season? I've got 6200kms on my chain (but only 700k on boost). I guess I better get one on order.

nytrobrad

Reaction score
I ran my old Mountain Max like that for what I can only assume was years before I noticed it. The drive shaft had started to cut through the tunnel already.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
sorry i did edit it but it never stuck

what i wanted to say,

i would be looking for a root cause, ie: bent shaft, bearing preload due to new tunnel, poor alignment, something like that,

How about drive the crap out of it. Ron can really make that sled work. Good job on the fix Ron

Top Bottom