factory fix on an 08 dragon 800

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Just sold the Kitty and I'm seriously considering trying out a polaris. I've heard to stay away from the 800's but one I'm looking at says it has the factory fix kit done and it's sitting at 1400 miles/kms not sure which.

My question is.... does that factory fix make it a safe bet to not grenade?

palerider57

Reaction score
You bet. But make sure you get the right Fix Kit. If the sled has more than 2,000 miles do it ASAP. I learned this the hard way and did not listen. Cratered the whole engine. Some guys do it no matter how many miles. Others say its a bogus repair. However, I did a pile of research and it appears it the best thing to do. If I bought used again I'd do it regardless of miles.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
well he says it's already been done but I've heard way too much bad chit about the poo 800's....I'd rather have a 700 that is reliable than an 800 I need to push...

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NO!!!! Stay away from them... unless you want a boat anchor!!!

Have to disagree, I did the first update that fixed the mid-range bog problem. Over 2000miles and issue free. My dad's has the boondocker kit and over 2000miles and issue free as well.

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of dragons riding around. If we all had to stay away from toys with issues, we would never leave the house. im pretty sure everybrand has an issue of some kind. did topend on mine, not because it grenaded, because it was time. use proper fixkit and do proper maintenance and ride it. my dragon pulled my m8 off the hill last year.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 10 Dragon in September that has just over 500 miles. I bought a Power Commander 5 that I am hoping will take care of the mid range bog and the lean spot that can be the culprit for grenading.
I always warm sleds up to at least 115 degrees as well. I'd like to try and get some miles on this before I get the fix kit. I had a 900 with 8000 kms on it so I don;t buy into the certain sleds have issues rep.
They don't all have issues but all of them have lots of moving parts, seals and electronics that can cause issues at any time.

My biggest problem with the 08 Dragons is the absolute crap front bumper, which I think has to be replaced, and the front end is wider than an 09. Any Polaris 2010 and older should have running board inserts.
I don't understand Polaris sometimes. The 05 900 had a single ring piston. After some failures the 06 came out with dual ring pistons and there was an update for the 05. Somewhere along the line they went back to single ring and a dual ring is part of the fix again. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

I absolutley love the way my 900 handled in deep snow and can't wait to get out on this new one.

Last edited:

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed with this last post. I have an 08' dragon as a back up sled with 5800 kms on it. It had the fuel map update which found to have low compression on the engine - so new pistons were warrantied. Stator went at 4800 kms and pistons were replaced again due to low compression. It is a must to replace the front plastic bumper. Use to break them by just lifting on the thing. I installed the 09 front clip and bumper which is aluminum. Both are 08's pictured.
IMG_0561.jpg

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I actually like my 800. Has never given me an issue it is an 09, climbs great in the mountains etc. It is for sale though as I would like something a little newer.

800dragonguy

Reaction score
I've got 2010 800 Dragon, I just put a RK Tek drop in head kit in it (1200 miles on original engine) The only reason for the overhaul was it was down on compression. New kit performing well, I wouldn't trade my Dragon for anything! Get them set up right and they handle like a dream.

Top Bottom