F350 Hub or Balljoints

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Started getting a little vibration at the drivers side front wheel. Notice ts mostly on Whitemud doing about 80 on a sweeping left turn. Alos feel a little pull to the left, but that could be an alignment issue. When doing tire changeover the other day, with tire off ground, I was able to get a tiny bit of up and down play of the wheel, but no clunking. Was not able to emulate this on passenger side. Hub seemed to spin freely with no grinding sounds. Gut is telling me bearing in the hub. Ball joints were reported as good when winter tires were installed this year.

Anyway to confirm which is may be? Or is it something else altogether?

Thanks.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jack wheel off the ground, use a prybar under tire to create movement and look at ball joints / hub - based on your description i would thing it's a bearing. Usually if it's a wheel bearing, you'll find it changes pitch when cornering based on the fact if the wheel is loaded or unloaded. Turning to the right at speed should create more noise if it is a wheel bearing.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Also have a look at the front axle shaft ujoints.... Turn the wheels all the way to the left and spin front tires, then do it all the way to the right... Any binding will indicate a seized/seizing ujoints. This can also give u the vibration you described. Does sound like u have ball joints worn...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would guess more ujoint or bearing. Either way it can be a sh!ty job changing that stuff. I did the front end on my wife's 04 3/4 ton diesel and I think I invented new swear words!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would vote wheel bearing if the noise changes when you load and unload the bearing turn.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bearing should give you a bit of side to side play as well as up and down.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What Ric said,any clicking noise when turning?Mine had a vibration and a slight clicking noise when turning.I didnt know the wheel joints were gone till i pulled it apart they were seized on one side
Also have a look at the front axle shaft ujoints.... Turn the wheels all the way to the left and spin front tires, then do it all the way to the right... Any binding will indicate a seized/seizing ujoints. This can also give u the vibration you described. Does sound like u have ball joints worn...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom