Extra venting on the xm?

monsterxlr8

Reaction score
So who is adding the extra venting kit on their xm's. I have seen a few that have the whole side of the sled's door panels replaced with vents. Just wondering if people are finding that they are running to hot and cooking belts or if this is just a habit from the old xp's. Also are a lot of people running a cooler t-stat in their sleds to keep the engine cooler and making peak HP.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I used venting on both sides on the XP's. I didn't vent the 2012, 2013 nor the 2014.

I have had no ill effects and last year I got 2700 kms on the stock belt. I have not had any belt issues for years. Even the 2008 was not a belt eater after I got rid of the stock belt.

monsterxlr8

Reaction score
Good to know I have over 600 Km on my current belt. I think that my first belt could have gone longer but I didn't keep it tensioned enough so I got a little slippage and glassed the belt at around the 700km mark. Lesson learned and I am paying closer attention to this one. I won't waste any money just yet on extra venting for it.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a little torn, the XM seems to be a lot hotter than I like under the hood but I haven't any ill effects of that either...

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ordered the 2 piece XXX mod rods kit, should be enough to let some of that heat out, I've put vents on every sled Ive ever owned, and for $75, why not.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My XM seems pretty hot under the hood. I think it could use an extra vent or two. I melted my rave cover on the bottom side from pipe heat. Probably woulda happened even with vents but gives a guy an idea of how warm things get in there

finndoo

Reaction score
xp 800 00023.jpg I thought that it was a little too warm under the hood of my XM so I drilled some holes, well by some i mean about 300 in total, to try let some of that heat out. My next step is to buy a vent to add to the front of the side panel to let some more cool air in to help push the warm air out. Not sure how much it helps but it I am sure it wont hurt. I had the same size holes in my XP that in certain conditions you could feel the heat coming out of the holes and they never allowed any snow in or onto the clutches.

monsterxlr8

Reaction score
Hmm we'll that does sound like there could be some real benifits to the extra venting then if some are making that much heat under the hood. Very interesting. I will have to put my digital temperature probe under the hood and run it hard. Just to see what the temperature is like under there. I guess I may still be putting extra venting into my sled yet. This is the great thing about these forums. You get many different opinions and view points, some biased and some straight to the point. It is good to hear what everyone has experienced and what they have done to fix veriouse problems or issues.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Good to know I have over 600 Km on my current belt. I think that my first belt could have gone longer but I didn't keep it tensioned enough so I got a little slippage and glassed the belt at around the 700km mark. Lesson learned and I am paying closer attention to this one. I won't waste any money just yet on extra venting for it.
When you glazed your belt did you service your clutch. You also would have glazed the shives. Take some scotch brite cloth and take the glaze off the clutch face. You can also do your belt. I ran my first belt to 2100km and finally ran out of adjustment. A little clutch maintenance goes along way. Also I have no venting other than stock holes and I am still running the complete clutch cover. Pay attention to rpm and adjust clickers acordingly.

monsterxlr8

Reaction score
So do you use a schotch Brite pad to take the glaze off your belt? I had been thinking of trying to use some steel wool to see if I can save my first belt for at least a reliable spare. I think that may have been to problem with the first belt, got hyped with the fresh powder I forgot to change my clickers when I got up to the higher elevation. Didn't realize it till I got stuck and smelt the hot belt. Opps there is that darn school of hard knocks again.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Ya scotch brite is probably my most used tool. Every couple days of riding I pop ythe belt off and start sled and give the primary a quick scratch then spread secondary wide open and scuff it up. A light scuffing on the belt will not hurt anything also. With the price of belts its nice to get the most life possible. All my previous sleds had as much venting as possible around clutches and I have come to learn that I was creating more heat due to snow dust being pulled in and adding increased slippage. I am running stock clutching in my 13 and the wifes 14 both 163 tracks and these 2 sleds have by far the coolest running clutches of any sleds we have owned. Also we are very dilligent about clicker 1 on the trail in and out and bumping them up acording to conditions when hitting the alpine.

beatty

Reaction score
i have a few flow rites at the top in the hood and did have them in side panels just too help get heat out, but now have no vents in side panels. but i'm now running the "blow hole" from Mtntk Performance and it works amazing the volume of air flow and clutch heat it pulls out is incredible. deffiently worth checking out if you want to lose some heat under the hood. www.mtntkperformance.com is there website and have a pretty good video using smoke bombs in a sled to demonstrate the amount it can remove.

Top Bottom