Ever Used Your Spot?

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
This will be my third season with my SPOT, have not had to use it yet...thank goodness. Has anyone had the misfortune to have to press the help or worse the 911 button yet? :eek:

I'm interested in the response and the aftermath.

I've never used one ............ just go sledding with guys that are better equiped than me!! lol :d:d

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We were in the unfortunate situation that we had to push our 911 button one time. I prefer not to go into details at this time on the specifics. The problem that we had was Texas (where the spot call center is) called the local RCMP. The local RCMP did not know what SPOT was. The local RC's had to call one of our emergency contacts who told them what spot was and got them logged into our account to find out where we were.

The call center calls your emergency contacts and all they can tell them is that an emergency signal has been received. The call center doesn't know what it is and then they contact the RC's. Before we choose our emergency contacts we sat down with them and told them. This is what will happen, Texas will call and tell you there is an emergency and thats it because that is all they know. Your emergency contact then has to wait for a call from the RC's or you for an update. You have to make sure your emergency contacts know that that is the protocal. I can't even imagine what it must of been like for our contacts to be waiting without knowing anything.

Having said all of this the SPOT does not replace your brain and common sense!! Don't for one minute let it lull you into a false sense of security. It is simply a tool your BRAIN AND COMMON SENSE is what is going to save you.

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we smashed the 911 button in Valemount a few years back when a buddy dropped into a creek unexpectedly and broke his back. if we didn't have to move him from the place he was at, the chopper would have been there quicker.

spot center in texas relayed to the RCMP that we were moving, and suggested they hold off sending out the chopper until they received a static position. once we had him where they could land, they sent it from Valemount with RCMP and EMTs aboard. was 2 hrs from when we pushed the button, until the chopper landed. we also sent a couple guys back to the truck to call the RCMP and let them know the specifics, which were then relayed to the members en route.

all in all, I would say spot is worth having. the only bill was for the ambulance ride from the chopper HQ to the hospital, which was paid by buddy's health plan. just know that if it's late in the day, the chopper will not fly if it can't get back to base before dark.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The local RCMP did not know what SPOT was. The local RC's had to call one of our emergency contacts who told them what spot was and got them logged into our account to find out where we were.
weird they would have to log into your account to determine your location, spot center should have been able to pinpoint your position and tell the RCMP exactly where you were.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
The RC's in this case had no idea what SPOT was they had no idea what an emergency signal meant. They had no idea what the co-ordinates they were given meant either. Our emergency contact had to tell them about SPOT log into our account with the RC show him on the map where we were. It was at this point that the RC called a local surveyor to come in and look at the map to determine where we were.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Use it all the time with 3 different profiles; Fernie SnowCat, Elkford Snow Cat, and personal.

We have used the help button with mechanical failures and have developed a code to distinguish whether or not it is mechanical or personal injury. We found that some people on the "help" list got a little hyper and excited but with the code it has helped settle those hyper 'helpers' down.

Haven't had to push the big one yet nor the second help (on the newer models).

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fernie, so with the personal message you are sending multiple messages like 3 messages is send the snow cat cause I am stuck, and 5 messages is we are stopping at the bar on the way home?

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The RC's in this case had no idea what SPOT was they had no idea what an emergency signal meant. They had no idea what the co-ordinates they were given meant either. Our emergency contact had to tell them about SPOT log into our account with the RC show him on the map where we were. It was at this point that the RC called a local surveyor to come in and look at the map to determine where we were.

This is a good point. I've been trying to educate our local authorities about the SPOT 911 service. They say they've heard of the SPOT but don't really know too much about it.... or what they need to do should they get a call for an SOS signal sent.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am on my third season with my SPOT. I have only used the "I'm OK" button to let the wife back at home know. I think it is a good investment.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was just going to say I use mine every trip.send ok messages every trip daily and when I get home I follow my tracks for the weekend.
Not yet and hopefully never for enmergencies!
I see the subscription went up to 149 per year!
Renewall in Jan!
catmando!

jazzman

Reaction score
We use the tracking feature every day for work. I work in the oil patch on remote sites. We check in on each location with the OK feature. And if we need help like if the quad is stuck or quit, or we had a reck we activate the help. But these are in areas were our contact list of the signals are familiar with the terrain and cordinates. We have used them in the mountains but never have had to hit 911. We had some guys from the area in the last couple winters or so were sledding on the wapiti river. One guy in the goup crashed and snapped his leg bad. Same thing the rc's were not sure where to go. It took a bit but they got him out.

sledhunter

Reaction score
We actually watched the signal move on the map as the patient was being moved to an area that we could fly into.
Keep in mind that there is no way for rescue to know what the emergency is. All we know is that there is an emergency at the coordinates provided. As a rule I send in the entire cavalry - SAR, paramedics, police and sometimes the coroner with an avalanche professional. If they find an injury I have to send another helicopter to get everyone out before dark. The SPOT Messenger is more common than it was a few years ago but there are still emergency responders that are not familiar with how they work. The rightt thing to do is, as stated, train your emergency contacts so the police can become informed at the time.
Have a safe winter
Dale Mason
SAR Manager
McBride & Valemount

ftguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the occasion to use it April 17 of this year as the wife rolled her quad and had serious injury (3 pelvic breaks, blown knee, and 2 small fractures in L5 and L6) Spot worked flawlessly! Were were 46 km west of Rocky Mountain House, Search and rescue were there in approx 45 minutes to an hour, STARS (thank god for them) landed 10 minutes later and she was in Calgary Trauma centre 2 hours after accident. Our only error is that we carriedm it in one of the quad boxes and someone had to climb the hill to get it and activate it.....we now have two and each wears it on our body for easy access. One tip they told us that was helpful was on our profile I gave an in depth discription of ages etc. and that we were likely in an off-road accident with atv.

We don't leave home with out them now.

PS: Please support STARS as they are the best thing that could have happened for her.

PPPS: after 6 weeks in hospital my wife is back atving again...and on November 11 rode back into the accident site. She's a trooper and it would not have been possible without SPOT and STARS......Thanks to them both

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my IM OK to my wife stating I'm still riding and everything is well. On my custom MSG I have I'm done sledding and back at the truck wick call when in service. It's kind of cool to log on after and check your locations on google maps.

I think this is a great feature for checking in, but when in a major state of emergency it's much nicer to know that your MSG was received and help is on the way with no confusion. For the price you can't go wrong for that piece of mind though. I know my wife loves the texts stating I'm ok when I'm out if the service area for 6+ hours. Not everyone can afford a sat radio, so this is a great alternative to the guy on a budget.

Top Bottom