EV charging data....

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
His math is fairly accurate. There's a lot of factors involved, but in short it takes a lot of power to fast charge an EV.

Our grids are not ready for widespread adoption.
Wow. That is nuts. Just adds more fuel to the fire that the EV projections are out of this world.
There is a housing shortage and the building process is going to get a big kick start. Where is all this electricity going to come from?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the plans for everyone to have an EV, keep in mind that the big caveat is that everyone leaves their EV plugged into their home charger 24/7 when the car is at home.

That way, when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining and the snowmobilers are sad from the low mountain snowpack, the grid will draw power from everyone's EV to power regular grid users. What happens if you need to drive more than 25% of your EV's range the next morning? I'm not sure, but it probably involves submitting a request to your local government organization via an app.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
What voltage are the fast chargers? They must be crazy voltage to keep the amps down. Just did the power calculation on my place. I have 220v with a 100amp service. That gives me a maximum of 22.000w or 22kw. Those chargers must be at 600v at least but that still is crazy amps.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What voltage are the fast chargers? They must be crazy voltage to keep the amps down. Just did the power calculation on my place. I have 220v with a 100amp service. That gives me a maximum of 22.000w or 22kw. Those chargers must be at 600v at least but that still is crazy amps.
The 350KW chargers are capable of 350a/1000v.

I believe charge voltages and rates will be vehicle specific.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s insane power consumption. How can people think that’s feasible to run like that.
It is. Keep in mind, those are maximums. The batteries will only accept a charge rate they can safely handle. Current battery tech is the limiting factor to that.

A quick search tells me the cybertruck has a 123kWh battery pack. The average monthly power consumption of my 3000sqft air conditioned home is 950kWh. I would like to think we are about average for power consumption. That means the battery in the cybertruck could power my home for 4 days. Conversely it would take 4 days worth of my average power consumption to fully charge that battery.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s insane power consumption. How can people think that’s feasible to run like that.
Cause the nice man on tv says it's ok....
Not only that is the minerals needed, watched a documentary on the mining requirements for EVs last night. Crazy to think it's better than drilling for oil.
Cobalt from the R of Congo has small mines that are hand dug. Also large scale open pit.
Lithium from Chile, The volume of h2o needed is ridiculous and causing large scale
drought.
New copper mines being developed in Indonesia, mowing down farm land to get it. Run off is destroying local fish habitat.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So riddle me this, why can't we build more natural gas powerplants to handle this extra load?

There's good money in constructing, maintaining and operating them.
Canada certainly doesn't pave a path of certainty for any fossil fuel projects.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So riddle me this, why can't we build more natural gas powerplants to handle this extra load?

There's good money in constructing, maintaining and operating them.

Thats a good question, ask the idiots that are putting up all the windmills.

Top Bottom