ETEC clutch vibration

martincc

Reaction score
recently bought a 2011 freeride. Has more of a vibration at idle than my 08. Swaped clutches today and the vibration was less. I pulled the vibrating clutch apart and can't see anything wrong with it.. all 3 set screws are still in there.

If I increased the rpms off idle the vibration would smooth out. The vibration is actually visable at idle as the clutch is shaking crank.

So.. any idea how to fix this? I wonder if the freeride idle speed is a critical resosance rpm for the clutch. I am worried the vibrating will fatigue the crank.

My 08 clutch was just rebuilt this season with 417 ramps, oversized rollers and all new bushings to the 09 specs. Also replaced the spring. Is there much different in the ETEC clutching? Maybe just swap em. The ETEC idles at about 1000rpm.. the pteck was close to 2500 which smoothed out the vib on the etec clutch.

any suggestions?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing to worry about. 2500rpm is too high of an idle speed.

all xps vibrate at idle..not sure what it is but its not an issue. i did notice the 2011 etec ive been riding does vibrate more at idle like you say compared to my 2010.

etec clutching is very different, however components in the clutch do not change the vibration or if they do it is very slight. that purely has to do with the engine mounts and idle rpm.

martincc

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too worried about it but I can actually visually see the 2011 clutch shaking and moving at the 1000rpm idle. Doesn't look right. When I put the 08 clutch on its much smoother looking. Both are smooth at anything above idle.

What all is different inside with the 2011 vs 08? I think the 2011 has the 441 ramps, the rest looks the same.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that my dads ETEC vibrates a lot more than mine does. Mine hardly seems to vibrate at all.

Top Bottom