Turbo etec clutching

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would start a discussion on what people are running in thier turbo xms. I have a 2014 intercooled TSS with 162x3.

Sled runs perfectly but need to tweak clutching a little. Running 7900rpm on clicker 1 and clutches are way too hot for my liking. TSS recommends 200/290 primary spring, custom TSS ramps, not sure on pin weight, and stock secondary. Only thing I noticed different on mine is that it has 417 ramps in it. Just wondering if anyone knows the rough profile of the TSS ramps and what they would be comparable to. Hoping just switching the ramps out will bring my rpms down a bit and allow me to clicker up to 3. Im running 6-7 lbs.

Been doing a bunch of searching and having a hard time finding any solid info. Anyone know what the boost it kits run? I have tried calling a bunch of times but never get an answer. Sounds like DJ has a setup for turbos but sounds super expensive as it changes out everything including helix and rollers. Might be worth it if its awesome, but would be great to hear some first hand experience.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious what you are trying out? Did you have the stock TSS clutching? If so, what didnt you like about it? Just trying to gain a sense of whether there is more to be had than the clutching they provide with thier kit.

cscherer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well when I pulled there set up out I had only 18 grams in 2 of the locations and 14 in one. Stock helix and 200/290 spring. Which I think is a pk pr.
I went to a trask set up with a PK PK and 22 grams pin weight with a trask helix. - Which would tell my problem I had with surging when wo throttle...

Was not too impressed with the way the clutch was set up. Weights were only hand tight with no Loctite.

We have since rectified this problem..

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I really cant believe that there were 417 ramps in mine. Im no clutching guru but those seem like they would be the worst possible ramp you could put in a turbo sled? Loads hard off the bottom and less load up top. Should be the opposite. Im curious what the profile of their custom ramp is like. Looking on Dynamoe Joes website and his custom ramp for XMs looks like the ticket. Softer start and 441 finish

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
200/290 primary spring. 19 G pins 441 ramps
Purple secondary spring ( 225/300) 43/47 helix.
Increase top gear 1 tooth.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
200/290 primary spring. 19 G pins 441 ramps
Purple secondary spring ( 225/300) 43/47 helix.
Increase top gear 1 tooth.

What didnt you like about the stock setup? What kind of changes did you notice when you went to this setup?

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock works good by just adding more weight.
Sled pulls harder we found, loads the engine harder, won't bang off Rev limiter as easy. Increased track speed. That's going by feedback from some folks we have set up that way.

Last edited:

turbo_mike

Reaction score
yer right that 417 is opposite from what u want.
i run 22g pin weight
2mm oversize rollers from high torq rollers which is around creston
415 ramps
130/290 ti primary spring

stock sec spring with shockwave adj. helix.

works very well. i run 8psi and have over 100km/hr track speed in a climb. the lower initial prim. spring rate keeps rpm down on trail which is nice too.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2015 impulse turbo kit came with 25 grams pin weight and everything else was stock.. runs well up to six lb boost.. after that they have another kit they offer that prevents over rev.. its on transit but sounds like toms 3d arms with a different primary spring, they also recommend to up top sprocket two teeth... should be good for up to ten lbs boost

with the aero went with 1mm over size rollers, 415 ramps, 22grams pin weight and shockwave helix... good for up to 9 lbs boost

both sleds with 174 tracks

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I think I figured out where my clutch heat was coming from. The combination of the 417 ramps and had a tower broken off of my helix! Anyone have a stock helix they want to part with?

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your stock helix should be a 40. I have a brand new 42 I'll sell you for half price. You'd have to turn your clicker up 1 number for the additional 2 degrees. Let me know.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Time to throw the shockwave maybe at it, any angle after that you prefer

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not sure what to do. After talking to Dave he swears by their setup. I dont really want to spend a tonne trying different things. Unless someone has firsthand feedback of something working alot better than TSSs setup? Might just try their setup and tune from there. Whos got the cheapest stock takeoff? :)

Top Bottom