Elkford Conditions

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how the snow in Elkford is doing? Supposed to be there 17-20 but don't want to come if the snows pounded like most places are now. Any info is appreciated!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Anyone know how the snow in Elkford is doing? Supposed to be there 17-20 but don't want to come if the snows pounded like most places are now. Any info is appreciated!

forecast shows nothing in the forecast for the for-seeable future. soooooo by then its probably going to be horrible conditions....

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
forecast shows nothing in the forecast for the for-seeable future. soooooo by then its probably going to be horrible conditions....

well that sucks...

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
well that sucks...

forecasts change, its all about putting miles on... great conditions or not...... Elkford is not as popular with "tourists" as other areas, you'll always find some decent snow.

jdaniel

Reaction score
we were out yesterday. you can ride pretty much anywhere. pretty big avalanche down in the back of smith's basin. not too much fresh snow left unless you head for the trees. mear lake in pretty rocky on the tops of the mounds from the wind. still nice to get out, it was nice and sunny. definately need fresh snow.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It is pretty pounded out and I have seen a few releases on the Oct rain event. IMHO, people are getting too confident and climbing things that have huge consequences.

There are places in the trees that are sweet (untracked) but not a lot of powder to be found. We didn't get the 16" of fresh that Fernie got prior to the weekend.

I have heard that Alexander has good snow.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Ferniesnow...in your opinion worth it to come out? It's always nice to be on the hill but I would like to ride some pow. Trips are pricey so I'd rather save my $$ for another time if the snow isn't worth it. Plus I've never been there before and don't know where to go!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Weather Network says flurries the end of this week. But right now there is no powder. It's your decision.....BTW what did you say to oneyewilly to get that thread pulled?

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weather Network says flurries the end of this week. But right now there is no powder. It's your decision.....BTW what did you say to oneyewilly to get that thread pulled?
Haha I didn't say anything. I left for the gym at like 11:40.

scottyd

Reaction score
tried to go over the claims today ~ the 2nd slide has come down. I'm guessing since the weekend as there aren't many tracks over it. Came down and turned the corner this time.

scottyd

Reaction score
FYI Rowdy ~ just in case you might have been interested in some trail riding, not much to ride near Elkford now. As of today both sides of the river are plowed

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Did you notice the size of some of the "frozen balls" in the debris? It must have been very wet from solar radiation. The debris that Marcel pushed down the trail when cleaning it up was a good indication of how destructive this was. An guys were still riding the chute on the weekend prior. It amazes me why peeps have to ride those 4 chutes on the way up when there is so much else to ride. The consequences would be huge as there are no safe zones and the terrain traps are very evident.

Good job in cleaning up Marcel.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I know FS year after year we see tracks in those chutes and I shake my head and wonder what it's going to take for people to learn their lesson? Do they not realize those are avalanche chutes? I don't get it....what are the thoughts that are going through ones head when they choose to climb in an avalanche chute? It won't happen to me? Can someone enlighten me?

Jan

jasoncaville

Reaction score
Here are a few pics.
IMG_1017.jpg

jdaniel

Reaction score
holy cow, it finally snowed! there is a good couple of inches in the driveway, hopefully there is more than that up top. but at least it snowed more than a skiff.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
holy cow, it finally snowed! there is a good couple of inches in the driveway, hopefully there is more than that up top. but at least it snowed more than a skiff.

Took an hour and half to come home from Fernie last night. More snow (twice as much) south in the Line Creek area. It started snowing as I started grooming in Fernie (5 pm) and I watched snowflakes until I got home at midnight. It was a little tiring......but I liked it!

Top Bottom