Electric vehicles

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy your dodge hellcat or demon now, if we are all electric driving hippy dippy gmo free kale smoothie eating tree huggers in 20 years that will be a valuable car.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
!!!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 144

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're wildly optimistic in everything regarding the electric vehicles....the only terrain you're gonna get 500 km on a charge is if you're going across Saskatchewan with no wind....going from Vancouver to calgary theres no way you're getting 500km, more like 300-350 in summer and 200 in the winter...so go 300km, stop and charge for an hour, then do it again, then do it again.... so thats 12 hours minimum, assuming you don't have to wait to charge which is unlikely. And your argument that when electricity doubles its a better deal is mind boggling....assuming more people get electric cars, the off peak demand break in rates will disappear because everyone with an electric car will be charging at night....and who is going to pay for all these charging stations?? Tax payers I guess because private industry isn't gonna touch it....

Well you cannot compare a gas engine in this case... only a all electric vehicle. My son owns a Tesla so I get first hand feed back, of coarse there is no charging stations around here.. so I cannot comment on the amount of time it takes to recharge it. Cdnfiremans comments on range seem very accurate to what I have been seen from my sons Tesla.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well you cannot compare a gas engine in this case... only a all electric vehicle. My son owns a Tesla so I get first hand feed back, of coarse there is no charging stations around here.. so I cannot comment on the amount of time it takes to recharge it. Cdnfiremans comments on range seem very accurate to what I have been seen from my sons Tesla.

Looks quite bare in that area for charging. On plugshare.com it shows 7 places to charge in prince george. Welding shops and campgrounds usually have plugs as well.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i am not that interested in the Tesla, however the volt i am. Can you drive across canada on just gas engine only? What fuel economy on gas only? Do you selection for gas or electric? What is the difference in power gas vs electric? How long does it take to charge up and what outlet do you use? What is your range in electric only? Can you heat your car on electric only? Does in recharge when using gas? Does it recharge when letting off on the accelerator?

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL, I did lethbridge to calgary and back through a snow storm without charging. Give me a break!
I didn't say electricity doubling is a better deal, I said electricity doubling does NOT mean that your bill doubles.
Electric vehicle charging during night time hours will be far less taxing than the Air conditioning usage during the middle of the day in the summer. It will take time for EV to reach that level and by the time they do everyone will have solar panels on their roof and battery storage.

Got anything else besides made up facts?

Youve got the only electric vehicle that I’ve heard of that gets better than advertised range out of the battery. And in a snowstorm yet! Better hang onto that baby. And peak time rates will disappear when everyone has an electric car and tries to charge it. The utility companies aren’t about to give everyone a break because they’re charging their eco-mobile. Usage is usage to them. And most people aren’t stupid enough to put solar panels on their house. Just a select few. And by the way, they don’t work at night when you want to charge your car.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As time changes all this conversation will be irrelevant concerning driving long distances. There is currently 1000 public charging station's in BC and they are continually adding to the system. Last July, 28 were added and from what i read you can easily drive one of these car's from Tofino to the Alberta border now.
It would not surprise me that we will see few gas station's getting removed and replaced by something else as more EV are purchased by the public.
Ever go to Vancouver with a diesel and try to fuel up? The majority of gas station no longer carry diesel, it's getting tuff to find it, i all ways make sure i top up in Chilliwack before going any further and how about parking....OMG...parking slots are too small for F350, truck don't fit and if you do get in there, good luck getting out.

Two more reasons not to visit the lower mainland!

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i am not that interested in the Tesla, however the volt i am. Can you drive across canada on just gas engine only? What fuel economy on gas only? Do you selection for gas or electric? What is the difference in power gas vs electric? How long does it take to charge up and what outlet do you use? What is your range in electric only? Can you heat your car on electric only? Does in recharge when using gas? Does it recharge when letting off on the accelerator?

You can drive on gas engine only if you want. There are 4 modes (normal, hold, mountain, sport). The hold mode forces the engine to run. 534km of range on 33L of gas gives you 6.17L/100km on gas only.
Electric in sport mode is the quickest. It will spin the tires easily at a stop so its best to roll a little before you punch it.
I charge off a 120 volt plug in when I'm in town. Takes about 9-10 hours drawing 12 amps. It has an 8 amp setting which takes more like 15 hours. At the farm I have a level 2 charger which is 240V and draws 16 amps. Takes about 4.5 hours to charge on that one.
Electric only range is probably at its peak at 20 degrees but for ultimate range electric it would be 40 degrees however your air conditioner will eat the gains you get from the warmer temps so it's basically a wash.
I haven't used the preheat much but this morning for example it was -17 and the engine ran when the remote start was activated. It sensed the battery was cold and used the engine to assist in warming it up. In a heated garage it will go about 10 minutes in the cold before the engine kicks on due to temperature.
When in "hold mode" using gas the battery will capture energy from braking and going down hills and work with the engine to assist it.
Yes it will regen as soon as you let off the accelerator pedal. You almost never have to use the brakes. In regular drive mode the regen is quite soft but there is a paddle on the steering wheel that makes the regen more agressive so you can use your hand to slow down without moving your foot. In "Low" mode the regen is quite aggressive without using the paddle and much more suited to stop and go traffic.
The volt has an 18 kWh battery but only uses 13.5 kWh which is the reason it basically lasts forever. If you run it completely out of gas and electricity it will tap into that reserve (5.5kWh) but I haven't tried this yet, just seen it on youtube.

Here is a video...

https://youtu.be/E8MwJbde7Ks

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is your range on electric only... best case scenario? Her buttons seem to have popped for some reason.

In the summer I think my record is 95km. Could probably go over 100km if you had slower city driving.

Top Bottom