electric brake controls - 2 trailers - 2012 dodge

subzero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
help needed - I want to pull a 5th wheel (25 feet )
and a 14 foot tandem utilty trailer with electric brakes ..
my truck only has 1 rv plug ...

how do I wire my second plug at the back of the trailer ?

do I get a second plug installed on my truck ?
and use a long extension ?

or do I tap into the RV electric brake wire on the axle of the trailer
and find a power source for keeping the battery charged ?

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would tap into the trailer wires and put a plug on the back of the trailer

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

SR Prez

Reaction score
The fifth wheel should have a wire distribution box up front. Tap into it and run a seven pin harness along the frame rail to the back. Be careful most 5th wheels can tow little to no weight, depends on frame, and bumper welds etc. I would check with a hitch shop, not an rv dealer though. Keep in mind only legal in Albeta. My father runs somthing similar, pain in the a$$ to set up.
Good luck.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're talking tandem tow right? Otherwise just build an extension cord from your truck's 7pin up to the 5th wheel's connection.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the utility trailer has brakes and they are tapped into the Rv brakes, which are controlled by the brake controller in the truck, i might be tempted to run a second brake controller from the truck to the last trailer. No telling how the added load will affect the braking of the RV or the brake controller. One controller for one set of brakes. With a second controller you can make sure the back trailer brakes engage before the RV keeping your rig straight. More wiring and BS but if your untility trailer has brakes its probably pretty beefy and will affect the RV in ways smaller trailers or boats wouldn't.
I second the above opinion about getting the input of a couple different hitch shops.

Hitchguy

Reaction score
DO NOT hook up the brakes to the rear trailer!!!! unless you want to put more strain on the frame that it shouldn't have in the first place. if you hook up the brakes to your 5th wheel trailer which brakes do you really think will come on first? the rear one of coarse its lighter!!! there is no controller in the world that will compensate for that!!

mlipiec

Reaction score
In the air brake world the valves all have a timing delay built in so that the very rear will apply first then the each one forward after that so the truck is more pulled to a stop as opposed as trailers trying to pass you (never good). If the utility trailer is light enough just leave the brake wire blank (still keep the break away functional) and run another 7 wire cord from the junction box on the fifth wheel and install a plug at the back

Top Bottom