EFI Brute and the cold

buzzard

Reaction score
How cold does it gotta get before others brutes wont start.-15 C and mine will barely start at -20 C no chance.Anyway to make them start better.:confused:

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure the battery is fully charged before trying and put a little gas line antifreeze in with every tank of fuel when it is cold. Since using the antifreeze I haven't had any problems starting mine when cold, unless it is -35, then I had to boost it.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could place a small engine heater on it for a while also.
Just till it starts.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used a battery tender on mine last year, it would start at -35 with the battery at full power and a couple pumps of the carb primer.

Ya its funny how many who have a BF do not know it has a primer. It took a couple friends about 4months to figure out they had the primers on their machines.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used a battery tender on mine last year, it would start at -35 with the battery at full power and a couple pumps of the carb primer.

Ya its funny how many who have a BF do not know it has a primer. It took a couple friends about 4months to figure out they had the primers on their machines.

EFI, there is no carb primer cause there are no carbs, they are fuel injected from 2008 and newer for the 750's

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My bad, I missed the EFI part

One of the main things I would like to add is to make sure you have a clean fuel tank. Water in the tank can freeze up an plug the little plastic screen in the tank.

Last edited:

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a can am outlander and it is fuel injected also. When it is cold out, I turn the key on and off and let the fuel pump run a couple times before trying to turn it over...it seems that when it is cold out, they want that extra bit of fuel. Also try running premium with a little octane boost in it. I started out with regular fuel and then switched to premium with the octane boost in it, and I will never go back. Can't go wrong with a little gas line antifreeze too.

hammerbike

Reaction score
How cold does it gotta get before others brutes wont start.-15 C and mine will barely start at -20 C no chance.Anyway to make them start better.:confused:
My buddy's Prowler sits outside in a tent and it's hard to start when it's like -35C. What he does is just hold the throttle open a bit (1/4"), don't pump it, just hold it open a bit, you're just lookin for a fast idle basically, and it'll fire right up. It was -43C here this weekend and my sons car wouldn't start, so I tried the same thing and she fired right away!

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My teryx starts up to about -24 or so. After that it is hard stgarting. im gonna get an inline heater for mine. For now i just park it in my shop(not heated) and it starts alot easier. i think getting them out of the wind sure helps.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got home from working out of town today and realized my quad was left outside (Can-Am 800) -38 out there and it fired up first try...thought for sure I would be towing it into the garage. Now if only my truck would start that easy

hammerbike

Reaction score
My teryx starts up to about -24 or so. After that it is hard stgarting. im gonna get an inline heater for mine. For now i just park it in my shop(not heated) and it starts alot easier. i think getting them out of the wind sure helps.
My buddy keeps his in a tent, not heated, but I think you are right about the wind, although the "wind chill" applies to living things only (not machinery).
Mine stays in my heated shop all the time, so I have no issues at all !! LOL

Adrenaline Vince

Reaction score
Make sure you have like 0-40 synthetic oil. If the oil is too thick itll slow down the engine when trying to turn over. And also run the risk of wrecking something internal. Plus why would you want to start it when colder than-15?

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sure its not just for leisurley trail riding!!!! rather for plowing snow or work related lol

Top Bottom