Edmonton Oilers.....

UMACHME

Reaction score
The Edmonton Oilers is one NHL team already discussing possible relocation to Seattle after plans for a proposed $475 million arena in Edmonton were thrown into doubt earlier this month.
Though the franchise said it still hopes to reach a deal with Edmonton on a new arena, owner Daryl Katz, team president Patrick LaForge and Kevin Lowe, president of hockey operations, were in Seattle for meetings Monday about a possible relocation....

I just hope the city doesnt fall for Katz's bullshite!!!! The rich keep getting richer and make the tax payers pay while he takes in the profits and doesnt pay any tax and the property????

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe the city will learn something from this. that you cant be a world class city without it costing money. we dont have a basketball team, we lost our baseball team, indy gone, our football team is not exactly doing that well and now the oilers may leave. which leaves us with nothing. maybe they will get the hint then LOL.

there are citys that are willing to host the team with world class facilities so why wouldnt they look at other options. this is katz saying get your fuggin butt in gear and make a decision and stop talking about it. maybe things would actually get done around here if someone was always lighting a fire under councils butt

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Everyone is still on Katz. These other city's are willing to put up the money but we won't do it to save our team ? Forget about the Phuckin mine and the rich and start thinking of the others who will benefit from the jobs created by the facility and it's construction. How much revenue is our 150k pile of silver balls making. Or the 100k dollar bat we have on the corner of 118th and 97th ( good location by the way) or maybe we should all get into the arts and go enjoy the multi million dollar Reno to the art museum.

Yes this is a huge project, and will cost the city and the tax payers money. But at least we will see some return on it and some new jobs. So what happens theoretically if Katz pulls the pin and leaves and we have to build it on our own to try and revive the city by begging and pleading to get a NHL team back when other cities are already in line waiting and are ready to foot the bill

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think Katz is bluffing!!!Why doesnt he build his own building!!Look at long island they need a new building and tax payers wont pony up for that guy!!The NHL wont let the oilers move anyway!!They are profitable team and have a huge fan base all across Canada because of the Cups they have won!!

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Meh, if they do move all the Edmontonians on here can thank themselves for continually voting in uselss Mandel for 3 full terms of worthless decision making. I myself not being a hockey fan really could care less if they left.... and hell would love if they didn't completely f@ck up downtown with that arena in the middle of everything.

However I do think he is full of it as usual. Everytime something hasn't gone the way the owner wants it to they threaten to move the team. Fine Chicken Little, move them and get it over with already.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure that calling the bluff of an owner who has a net worth that close to the gdp of the greater edmonton area is a good idea. he blinks and there gone. 10 semi trucks and it will be like it never happened...He knows his stuff... has the jet and and the cars.. Mandel rides the bus..... Katz is the real deal and a darn good businessmen.. He will not think twice of moving the team if its economically pleasing. The city councillers should do alot more listening. Do they have buffets phone number... nope but i bet katz does..

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Katz is bluffing. He won't/can't move them. He will sell them before he moves them

i think Katz is bluffing!!!Why doesnt he build his own building!!Look at long island they need a new building and tax payers wont pony up for that guy!!The NHL wont let the oilers move anyway!!They are profitable team and have a huge fan base all across Canada because of the Cups they have won!!

Meh, if they do move all the Edmontonians on here can thank themselves for continually voting in uselss Mandel for 3 full terms of worthless decision making. I myself not being a hockey fan really could care less if they left.... and hell would love if they didn't completely f@ck up downtown with that arena in the middle of everything.

However I do think he is full of it as usual. Everytime something hasn't gone the way the owner wants it to they threaten to move the team. Fine Chicken Little, move them and get it over with already.

Those statements right there are the problem.... Personally I don't think the presents of an NHL team can be measured in just dollars, Don't any of you remember the 2006 cup run???? Edmonton was the best city in canada to live for those 2 months. Everyone was on the same team, bars/restaurants were packed the city was a buzz with anticipation and excitement and even after we lost we didn't burn down the city, the majority congratulated Carolina and shouted out a "Good Game" and "Thanks for the Run" to the players.

I think it would be tough for Katz to move the team seeing as it is the 4th most profitable in the NHL.... BUT... that said if we want an NHL team in this city we have to provide them with the tools of thier trade, Idealy Katz will make buckets of cash and the city will make buckets of cash, yes it will be on the backs of ticket buyers but people will still buy...there is a TON of money in this city/region.

Worst case scenario.... Edmonton refuses, Rexall gets older, (remember the city's plan to renovate rexal will cost the same $$$ as the new arena will) Katz being the shrewd successful business man that he is attempts to relocate the team to a more supportive city, maybe he can maybe not, but without a new arena eventually he will have too. The impact on Edmonton will be profound, Calgary & the province will say "Chit we can't let that happen again" Calgary will get a new World class arena for the flames who will then truely be "Alberta's Team" Maybe they even change the name to the Alberta Flames, now demand for tickets is doubled and we have to travel to Cowtown to see an NHL hockey game...

Katz won't build it without city support and contribution because that business plan historically fails every time, he has publicly stated this. The ONLY way for it to be profitable and sustainable is for a private/public partnership... Can't fault Katz for looking for a sound business plan, you don't become a billionaire by appeasing everyone...

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Exactly 100% correct....

i'm not sure that calling the bluff of an owner who has a net worth that close to the gdp of the greater edmonton area is a good idea. he blinks and there gone. 10 semi trucks and it will be like it never happened...He knows his stuff... has the jet and and the cars.. Mandel rides the bus..... Katz is the real deal and a darn good businessmen.. He will not think twice of moving the team if its economically pleasing. The city councillers should do alot more listening. Do they have buffets phone number... nope but i bet katz does..

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
bettcha Katz could do a much better job running the city than the dog & pony show currently stumbling their way through the process. City/Province/Country should be run as a business, get rid of the politicians and replace them with sound successful business people...

Politicians run their regions of responsibility in their own best interests, business people would run for profit, lowering if not eliminating personal tax...

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those statements right there are the problem.... Personally I don't think the presents of an NHL team can be measured in just dollars, Don't any of you remember the 2006 cup run???? Edmonton was the best city in canada to live for those 2 months. Everyone was on the same team, bars/restaurants were packed the city was a buzz with anticipation and excitement and even after we lost we didn't burn down the city, the majority congratulated Carolina and shouted out a "Good Game" and "Thanks for the Run" to the players.

I think it would be tough for Katz to move the team seeing as it is the 4th most profitable in the NHL.... BUT... that said if we want an NHL team in this city we have to provide them with the tools of thier trade, Idealy Katz will make buckets of cash and the city will make buckets of cash, yes it will be on the backs of ticket buyers but people will still buy...there is a TON of money in this city/region.

Worst case scenario.... Edmonton refuses, Rexall gets older, (remember the city's plan to renovate rexal will cost the same $$$ as the new arena will) Katz being the shrewd successful business man that he is attempts to relocate the team to a more supportive city, maybe he can maybe not, but without a new arena eventually he will have too. The impact on Edmonton will be profound, Calgary & the province will say "Chit we can't let that happen again" Calgary will get a new World class arena for the flames who will then truely be "Alberta's Team" Maybe they even change the name to the Alberta Flames, now demand for tickets is doubled and we have to travel to Cowtown to see an NHL hockey game...

Katz won't build it without city support and contribution because that business plan historically fails every time, he has publicly stated this. The ONLY way for it to be profitable and sustainable is for a private/public partnership... Can't fault Katz for looking for a sound business plan, you don't become a billionaire by appeasing everyone...

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Thats one writers opinion...Can't say that I agree wholly with him. On the Seattle thing yes, the Oilers will not move to Seattle but there are many other lucrative destinations for a young up and comming team where they would be welcomed with open arms and wallets.... Quebec City, Hamilton Ontario. Kansas City already has an arena and has expressed interest in a team...

My question to the nay sayer's is.... If not a new areana in partnership with Katz then.......what.... hundreds of millions into Rexall renos? build a rink without Katz? I dunno, I think for now the oilers are secure here in Edmonton, but for how long? even members of the old EIG (former owners) are confident that without a new arena the oilers will inevitable relocate and if the EIG still owned the team there would be no team money invested, it would all be on the city... and god knows the city has spent more money on special interest projects

So what is your plan 3 first names???? like I tell my employees bring me solutions not problems....

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats one writers opinion...Can't say that I agree wholly with him. On the Seattle thing yes, the Oilers will not move to Seattle but there are many other lucrative destinations for a young up and comming team where they would be welcomed with open arms and wallets.... Quebec City, Hamilton Ontario. Kansas City already has an arena and has expressed interest in a team...

My question to the nay sayer's is.... If not a new areana in partnership with Katz then.......what.... hundreds of millions into Rexall renos? build a rink without Katz? I dunno, I think for now the oilers are secure here in Edmonton, but for how long? even members of the old EIG (former owners) are confident that without a new arena the oilers will inevitable relocate and if the EIG still owned the team there would be no team money invested, it would all be on the city... and god knows the city has spent more money on special interest projects

So what is your plan 3 first names???? like I tell my employees bring me solutions not problems....

Tell katz he can either fund it himself or move the team. Katz has the money to fund it, but is trying to scare the city. He's smarter than to try and move the team.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
He's also too smart to take it all on himself... history shows that owners who have tried to finance private arenas without buy in from the municipality/state/province end up in bankruptcy and in turn end up selling the building back to the municipality for 1/2 the building cost.... I don't think that would happen here, I think it would be profitable and if I was Katz I'd probably build the arena myself, but I also haven't built a 2 billion dollar empire....

Why go it alone in Edmonton when a large number of other cities would be more than happy to enter into a PPP....

Tell katz he can either fund it himself or move the team. Katz has the money to fund it, but is trying to scare the city. He's smarter than to try and move the team.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He's also too smart to take it all on himself... history shows that owners who have tried to finance private arenas without buy in from the municipality/state/province end up in bankruptcy and in turn end up selling the building back to the municipality for 1/2 the building cost.... I don't think that would happen here, I think it would be profitable and if I was Katz I'd probably build the arena myself, but I also haven't built a 2 billion dollar empire....

Why go it alone in Edmonton when a large number of other cities would be more than happy to enter into a PPP....

But if he has the choice of moving the team or building the arena himself, he chooses building the arena everytime. The City should know this. Katz isn't going to leave hockey crazy Edmonton for Seattle.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get rid of council and let some business people handle it for them. Them council members keep shooting themselves in the arse, next thing they will be gonzo.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My statement is the problem, lol. Yeah okay bud. All I remember from the cup run is staying as far as hell away from that congested mess as I could. Edmonton is experiencing exponential growth at the moment...... and it has jack and $hit to do with the hockey franchise. Admittedly it would impact some bars and restaurants but people will find something else to do..... Want proof? Just look at this year, and the last lock out. The city didn't dry up and disappear off the face of the planet.

Katz is poking and prodding the village idiot council to see how willing and ready to play hardball they are. Between silver balls and radar equipped flashing signs I am pretty sure Mandel is much like a Magpie and is just attracted to things that are shiny. So add some glinting stainless steel and big billboards to the mix and he will dive in head first for it. He has to be about the worst mayor the city has had for a long time...... but the only reason the poor choice voting public won't put him back in the big chair is legally he can't run again.

This lockout garbage honestly couldn't happen at a better time. It truly will see how far everyone is willing to go to keep a major sport in Edmonton..... and how far they are willing to dig in their pockets for it. I am a bad example...... I have never been to an Oilers game ever and never will go. Watching sports of any kind puts me to sleep....

Last edited:
Top Bottom