Edging a long driveway?

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for ideas to edge a long gravel driveway.
My driveway is about 200 feet. I did about 50 feet on one side with a shovel and I like the way it looks. I've pulled a few large stones so I'm not sure I could rent a power edger since the blades will probably get damaged.
I've got an old Troy built horse rototiller that I was thinking of removing all but one tine. Using round up gets very expensive.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Little time consuming but I took topsoil and sprinkled it along the driveway mixed in with grass seed. Take a upside down rake and smooth out. I have some heavy equipment so it was ez for me to drive around with a bucket full of dirt

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have a similar situation. On one side I edged it with a shovel and laid down some rolls of plastic edging (I used the professional stuff is there is such a thing) to keep the grass out of the gravel. I still have to take the RoundUp along the edge a little bit through the summer but it gives a nice neat edge. On the other side I have the gravel held in place with treated 6x6's. Works good in both instances.

The biggest problem I have is when I plow and grab some of the gravel and deposit it on the grass. One of my annual chores to be done shortly.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Paving stone edging
Quick curb concrete
Plastic edging
Aluminum edging
Treated landscape ties secured with rebar spikes.
etc

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey if you would like some Ag strength glyphosate/roundup for weed control bring a 500 ml plastic coke bottle over. It will last you a year or two if you have a and hand sprayer. Cost you $10 or 2 Beer. I live west of Big Rock be home tomorrow. I'm just heading out now so pm me and I can give you directions if you are interested.
Looking for ideas to edge a long gravel driveway.
My driveway is about 200 feet. I did about 50 feet on one side with a shovel and I like the way it looks. I've pulled a few large stones so I'm not sure I could rent a power edger since the blades will probably get damaged.
I've got an old Troy built horse rototiller that I was thinking of removing all but one tine. Using round up gets very expensive.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Paving stone edging
Quick curb concrete
Plastic edging
Aluminum edging
Treated landscape ties secured with rebar spikes.
etc

Thanks Merc
I'm trying to find the easiest way to edge and then install one of these.
Not sure which since the plow blade might take it out anyway.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a similar situation. On one side I edged it with a shovel and laid down some rolls of plastic edging (I used the professional stuff is there is such a thing) to keep the grass out of the gravel. I still have to take the RoundUp along the edge a little bit through the summer but it gives a nice neat edge. On the other side I have the gravel held in place with treated 6x6's. Works good in both instances.

The biggest problem I have is when I plow and grab some of the gravel and deposit it on the grass. One of my annual chores to be done shortly.

I have the same annual chore. Sometimes I'm lucky and can borrow a large power sweeper from work. They're getting stickier these days about lending it out. 4 foot landscape rake works but it's a work out.

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got 40 ft gravel drive way, used landscaping ties for edging, used "road tech" before gravel fill,

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd use the landscape ties, which are 4x4 with rounded edges. Dig them down in the grade. Atleast if one is wrecked in winter, it can be replaced.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have the same annual chore. Sometimes I'm lucky and can borrow a large power sweeper from work. They're getting stickier these days about lending it out. 4 foot landscape rake works but it's a work out.

Just rented one and have my 200' of frontage done from the pavement "sand" that the town uses in the winter. The "big rock" from my driveway is still entrenched in the snow. I usually just get out and do it by hand. Find that is the easiest.

Top Bottom