DPF Delete/H&S Controller

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are many of you deleting the DPF system on your GM LML ('11-'13) Duramax.
Can mileage be improved without doing this?
Also, What are you getting for mileage on the highway @ 120kms/hr.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did it to my 2012. Mileage suffers a little with winter fuel. Roughly 14l/100km at 120-140kph. You might pick up a mpg by doing an intake but that's it. I run my truck on the hot 150hp tune. I find mileage to get quite better with summer fuel and driving sensible. I don't worry too much about it though. I just pay it what it takes. I love the performance of my truck with the h&s and 5" exhaust. If you run the 150hp tune I also suggest a lift pump to keep the fuel rails full and the pump happy. Also suggest the egr delete from alligator performance and do the up pipes and manifolds from pro fab and never look back!

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
14L/100 would be a good improvement.
How much should this cost? $1000? more?

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An H&S MiniMax w/ pyro is approx. $1211 + tax from JB Performance. I just did an H&S and dpf delete on the father in laws '09 cab & chassis dodge 3500. Total cost for him was $1492.00 for the minimax and dpf pipe plus my labor charges of a 40 of wisers deluxe. For being 4" straight pipe from turbo back his truck isn't as loud as I thought it would be.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
14L/100 would be a good improvement.
How much should this cost? $1000? more?

depends how far you want to go with it. Everything I just listed will run close to 3 grand just for parts. However you could just do a h&s tuner and exhaust for 12-1500 for parts depending if you go with the xrt or mini maxx. I did all the mods myself so that saves a ton of cash. The lift pump isn't essential but if you run anything over 80hp tune you will run the fuel rails dry at WOT without it and throw a code. The egr delete and manifolds and up pipes aren't necessary either but you will be doing yourself a favor in the long run. Egr gets disabled with the h&s but the valve will still open with enough boost. Plus the guy claims another 35hp with his up pipes and manifolds. The stock intake on the lml won't hinder performance until 500hp but I put an afe stage 2 on mine just because I usually slap a cai on everything I own.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on the LML you are throwing your money into the wind if you are deleting the dpf and fluid in hopes to gain mpg.

my 08 lmm on the other hand went from 17l/100 to 11.8l/100km. I drive red deer to edmonton on a normal basis with cruise set at 120.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on the LML you are throwing your money into the wind if you are deleting the dpf and fluid in hopes to gain mpg.

my 08 lmm on the other hand went from 17l/100 to 11.8l/100km. I drive red deer to edmonton on a normal basis with cruise set at 120.

yeah why do you say that? I along with many other have first hand experience of mpg gains from doing deletes???

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
because I have witnessed 1-2mpg and the complaints that follow after.. nothing worth writing home about thats for sure. For the cost involved to hot rod the truck around(due to the new noise, Im the same way haha) i personally feel it is not worth it. Yes it wakes the truck up big time, but to do this and expect 10mpg out of doing so, keep dreaming.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
because I have witnessed 1-2mpg and the complaints that follow after.. nothing worth writing home about thats for sure. For the cost involved to hot rod the truck around(due to the new noise, Im the same way haha) i personally feel it is not worth it. Yes it wakes the truck up big time, but to do this and expect 10mpg out of doing so, keep dreaming.

Well of coarse you aren't going to see those gains. The reason your lmm seemed like such a big leap was because it wasted so much fuel to begin with. Thats why the lml is so much better of fuel stock than a lmm. One thing the urea does among other things is keeps the truj from using so much fuel during regen. So of coarse doing a dpf delete on a lmm is goin to seem so much more than a lml. 10mpg increase on a lml? No. 5 mpg? Maybe. 3-4 mpg? Most definately. The urea system on the stock truck is not a ba system. They had some problems with the early 2011 builds but got those worked out. I personally deleted mine for longevity, performance, and sound.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well of coarse you aren't going to see those gains. The reason your lmm seemed like such a big leap was because it wasted so much fuel to begin with. Thats why the lml is so much better of fuel stock than a lmm. One thing the urea does among other things is keeps the truj from using so much fuel during regen. So of coarse doing a dpf delete on a lmm is goin to seem so much more than a lml. 10mpg increase on a lml? No. 5 mpg? Maybe. 3-4 mpg? Most definately. The urea system on the stock truck is not a ba system. They had some problems with the early 2011 builds but got those worked out. I personally deleted mine for longevity, performance, and sound.

I understand why the non urea trucks see more gains once deleted, I just do not want a guy to think hes going to see VW jetta economy after doing the deletes. 3-4 seems to be on the high end from most reports/complaints. I guess I come from the side of things where if you can afford to ditch the warranty(assuming a fresh truck and warranty is still valid), you can obviously afford the associated bills if anything were to come up. For the first 6 months I'm pretty sure the majority of fuel mileage will actually be worse with the right foot always wanting to hear the new exhaust haha.

one thing to note, if you remove your speed limiter, you lose your fuel level gauge. Theres one other issue with the programmer but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Happy truckin. You'll love the noise!!

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand why the non urea trucks see more gains once deleted, I just do not want a guy to think hes going to see VW jetta economy after doing the deletes. 3-4 seems to be on the high end from most reports/complaints. I guess I come from the side of things where if you can afford to ditch the warranty(assuming a fresh truck and warranty is still valid), you can obviously afford the associated bills if anything were to come up. For the first 6 months I'm pretty sure the majority of fuel mileage will actually be worse with the right foot always wanting to hear the new exhaust haha.

one thing to note, if you remove your speed limiter, you lose your fuel level gauge. Theres one other issue with the programmer but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Happy truckin. You'll love the noise!!

Yeah I hear ya. Can't expect a truck to get super good mileage no matter what you do. An you are right, you may not notice a gain at all due to the heavy right foot lol. Once I got that out of my system I definately did see an improvement. I knew if you removed the speed limiter you lost cruise control but never knew about the fuel. That's good to know.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya. Can't expect a truck to get super good mileage no matter what you do. An you are right, you may not notice a gain at all due to the heavy right foot lol. Once I got that out of my system I definately did see an improvement. I knew if you removed the speed limiter you lost cruise control but never knew about the fuel. That's good to know.

:Cool9:
:

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

very true... i still think on your trucks 14/100 km at 120-140km/h is excellent and abover average. I have a 2002 Cummins 6 speed and i get from 12.5 to 14.5 (winter)/100 km at that's at about 110-115 km/h. Now remember I think this is really good but my truck bone stock is 245hp... you guys are pushing what 350HP?

If i get back into a new diesel i'd look to delete for longevity and maintenace costs as I understand they are better.. the fuel economy gain would be a bonus! And I'd delete just to say i did... just my silent FU to the EPA who are triing their hardest to kill diesels or make their fuel milage so poor that they are as bad or worse then gas trucks... THAT WAY BIG BROTHER gets their tax money... our country and the usa get huge chunks of our taxes from gas and that's charged per litre mostly so why would they really want a 9000 pound track that can tow a house to get great fuel ecomony!

I don't even tow a big trailer and bought my older diesels cause of their fuel economy... sorry for the rant!!! EPA is pissing me off!

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am averaging 13.5l/100 on my LML work truck. Bone stock. Scales at 9000lb. I usually drive 10-15 over the posted speed. Regularly get 1000km to a tank.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am averaging 13.5l/100 on my LML work truck. Bone stock. Scales at 9000lb. I usually drive 10-15 over the posted speed. Regularly get 1000km to a tank.
The LML's also have 10 more gallons then the LMM's. Its fun saying 1000km to a tank though.

LMM's are 26 gallon, LML's are 36 gallons

snowslut

Reaction score
I have an 09 LMM with the mini max and dpf delete kit. And pulling sleds in the winter my truck goes up to 18L/ 100km. I'm not happy about it but that's life. I love the performance and power. If there was something I could do to improve it I would !!

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only purpose of the urea is to lower nox emmisions that is it nothing else period due to the higher nox produced during regen

Top Bottom