Dow chemical has no ethics!!!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 years ago our plant could not keep people, so Dow came up with a retention plan. 10% of your base for 2 years and the big one at the end 20% of your gross was the main goal. This seemed to work alot of guy's said thats a fair deal as other plants to the north are paying more money but with this retention plan it's so close that it not worth the move.....wrong.

They told us this is a legal deal no one can take it away, they promised us out the ying yang that this is a soild deal.

Well they paid us one year now we come to work today to find out that they have cancelled the whole deal. Nice 2 years in and they pull it out.

Very dissapointing to be lied to and mislead once again from DOW CHEMICAL. So coming from somone who has been here for 10 years, do not trust any deals with Dow as you will more than likley get screwed! They have proved without a doute that they cannot be trusted. If you can buy a different product that supports their employee's with resect and honor, I would have to say buy it from them. As every time you see a DOW product please put it back on the shelf.

Thanks from the entire Shift group at LP-7 Dow Prentiss.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they assured all the employees that this was a "legal deal" and you can get all the employee's on the same page you may have a strong enough case to take them to court, but that is a very slippery slope taking your employer to court. May not be a great environment for anybody involved to work in after the fact, win or lose. Situation sucks overkill. Perhaps they had to do this in these economic times, either this or start shutting down plants, not taking their side just saying.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm disspointed to see that the company which was so utterly outraged by the back-out from the K-Dow deal by our partners isn't above backing out of the committments that they have made to their employees by cancelling all promotions, rewards and recognition, retention incentives in Western Canadian Operations and across most of the company. I used to believe that the Dow Chemical Company did want to be one of the most respected people oriented companies in the world but who could believe that now?

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Yup think they had high hopes for K-Dow......maybe MEGlobal will swallow up the rest of Dow

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a really good legal challenge and MEDIA EMPLOYEE INTEREST STORY on GLOBAL or something of the such.......

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should contact that lady from global news Edmonton for "Troubleshooters". They would love that story, and may get your retention payments in the end.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. If I tried that at either company I manage, I'd be the only employee left the next morning.... unless it included me, then I am not sure who would shut the lights off.

I am no lawyer, but a contract is formed when there is an offer, an acceptance and consideration. Sounds like a offer was made. Obviously it was accepted. Consideration was made by both parties in the first year, but consideration was made by qualifing employees in the second year and not the employer. If it's that simple, it's breach of contract and is enforcable through the courts. Actually I couldn't see Dow letting this get into court. As said above, legally force them to honor the contract would be bad for employer/employees relations, but I can imagine it is not very good right now... and the employees that are effected by this are also the ones that carry almost all the job experiance.

A certain Dow plant is on my list of sale visits I have coming up... I'm not sure I want enter into a contract with them now.

S

sldgy

Roll me over in the clover, roll me over lay me down and do it again

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. If I tried that at either company I manage, I'd be the only employee left the next morning.... unless it included me, then I am not sure who would shut the lights off.

I am no lawyer, but a contract is formed when there is an offer, an acceptance and consideration. Sounds like a offer was made. Obviously it was accepted. Consideration was made by both parties in the first year, but consideration was made by qualifing employees in the second year and not the employer. If it's that simple, it's breach of contract and is enforcable through the courts. Actually I couldn't see Dow letting this get into court. As said above, legally force them to honor the contract would be bad for employer/employees relations, but I can imagine it is not very good right now... and the employees that are effected by this are also the ones that carry almost all the job experiance.

A certain Dow plant is on my list of sale visits I have coming up... I'm not sure I want enter into a contract with them now.

I think they are in more money trouble than they let on. So my advice is to not get to the point where they owe you a bunch of money. my 2 cents

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That really sucks. The whole "tough economic times" is a bunch of BS copout though. And really, it's not even slow, it's normal. If you feel that strongly why don't you go somewhere else and sue them for it? I mean if you have a legal document. Still lots of job out there, just need to look a bit harder now.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when it comes to $$$ there are no ethics. maybe you should follow cyle's lead, if it's that bad. Show them the finger and join the UIC ski team. cyle claims that jobs are plentiful.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when it comes to $$$ there are no ethics. maybe you should follow cyle's lead, if it's that bad. Show them the finger and join the UIC ski team. cyle claims that jobs are plentiful.

They are, this is PLENTY of jobs out there, not sure what field your in as that could vary but overall things are still pretty decent. Everyone is just comparing it to the last two which are insane, and it's slow compared to them, but still lots of work out there.

No matter how bad things get, putting up with crap like that from an employer would never happen to me, that's all I know :beer:

Top Bottom