Ditch banging in alberta

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is illegal, regardless of what the County of Municipality says, to ride in the ditches of any provincially regulated roadway, which are primary highways (one and two numbers) and secondary highways (three numbers). Even a road in the bush operated by the Province could be considered such.

The Counties and Municipalities have jurisdiction over their County roads, and each County makes the rules as to whether you can or cannot ride in the ditch, but remember, their rules do not apply to primary or secondary highways. If anyone got away with riding in a primary or secondary highway ditch, it is because the cops chose not to enforce the law.

Stupid, I know, you can ride a horse in the ditch, but not a sled or quad. Dracona County has to be the worst, even using our tax dollars to hire cops to chase down quads and sleds. If I'd have been a quadder and sledder when I moved there, I'd have moved somewhere else.

There are too many me-first people in this County that think they are the only ones that live here. This county sucks.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
It may be illegal according to Alberta traffic & highways act however in the county of Lac.Ste.Anne these are the regulations enforced.

In this bylaw, “highway” means any thoroughfare, street, road (developed or undeveloped), trail, avenue,
parkway, driveway, viaduct, lane, alley, square, bridge, causeway, trestleway or other place or any part of
any of them, whether publicly or privately owned, that the public is ordinarily entitled or permitted to use
for the passage or parking of vehicles and includes
(i) a sidewalk, including a boulevard adjacent to the sidewalk,
(ii) if a ditch lies adjacent to and parallel with the roadway, the ditch, and
(iii) if a highway right of way is contained between fences or between a fence and one side of the
roadway, all the land between the fences, or all the land between the fence and the edge of the
roadway,
as the case may be,
but does not include a place declared by regulation not to be a highway;
Lac Ste. Anne County Bylaw 39-2006
Page Two
3. Any person qualified to operate an off-highway vehicle may operate same on any Municipal highwaywithin Lac Ste. Anne County, subject to the following conditions:
(a) The hours of operating an off-highway vehicle on Municipal highways shall be restricted to the
period of time between 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. in any one day.
(b) The maximum speed at which off-highway vehicles are permitted to travel on Municipal highways
is 40 km per hour unless otherwise posted at a lower speed limit.
(c) Operators of off-highway vehicles on Municipal highways shall travel on the extreme right hand
side of the highway and shall travel single file at all times.
(d) All off-highway vehicles travelling on Municipal highways shall be equipped with at least one
headlight and tail light(s). At any time during the night time hours or at any other time, when due to
insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions objects are not clearly discernible on the
highway at a distance of five hundred (500) feet ahead, no off-highway vehicles shall be in motion
on a highway unless the headlight and tail light(s) are alight.
(e) Without restricting the generality of the foregoing the provisions of The Traffic Safety Act shall
apply to the operation of an off-highway vehicle on Municipal highways.
(f) All off-highway vehicles must be duly registered and insured pursuant to The Traffic Safety Act.
4. No person shall operate an off-highway vehicle on a sidewalk or boulevard.
5. No person shall operate an off-highway vehicle on municipal and/or school reserve property,
playgrounds, campgrounds, or school grounds, with the exception of municipal/school employees or
contractors during the course of their employment/work.
Every person who contravenes the provisions of this bylaw is guilty of an offence and liable upon summary
conviction to a penalty as prescribed in The Traffic Safety Act and/or any related Alberta regulation.

CatCory

Reaction score
Good one looks similar to the leduc county by-law so looks good to go for lac st.anne too eh!

Cumminscowboy

Reaction score
It is illegal, regardless of what the County of Municipality says, to ride in the ditches of any provincially regulated roadway, which are primary highways (one and two numbers) and secondary highways (three numbers). Even a road in the bush operated by the Province could be considered such.

The Counties and Municipalities have jurisdiction over their County roads, and each County makes the rules as to whether you can or cannot ride in the ditch, but remember, their rules do not apply to primary or secondary highways. If anyone got away with riding in a primary or secondary highway ditch, it is because the cops chose not to enforce the law.

Stupid, I know, you can ride a horse in the ditch, but not a sled or quad. Dracona County has to be the worst, even using our tax dollars to hire cops to chase down quads and sleds. If I'd have been a quadder and sledder when I moved there, I'd have moved somewhere else.

There are too many me-first people in this County that think they are the only ones that live here. This county sucks.

Ur in ardrossan huh? Ya I know what ya mean. Its $250 fine for ditch bangin and they got cops on sleds and in ardrossan/strathcona...they do chase you down. I agree this county sucks 100%. Some bitchface called in my license plate cause a bag flew outta the box of my truck...OMG WERE ALL GONNA DIE! And she went to court to make sure I got a ticket too. Only a matter of time before I get enough cash to move away. And fill my truck box up FULL of bags and then when they ALL fly out all over the county, then head for a better town.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never had a problem in Red Deer county, Sylvan Lk, Bently, Elnora are all sled friendly towns. Ride Red Deer to Pine Lk, Sylvan, Up Hwy 2 to Blindman River. Did Pine Lk to Elnora and back on Thurs night and ditches were great, powder over the headlights and even a few stucks. Ride On:Snowmobile1:

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ur in ardrossan huh? Ya I know what ya mean. Its $250 fine for ditch bangin and they got cops on sleds and in ardrossan/strathcona...they do chase you down. I agree this county sucks 100%. Some bitchface called in my license plate cause a bag flew outta the box of my truck...OMG WERE ALL GONNA DIE! And she went to court to make sure I got a ticket too. Only a matter of time before I get enough cash to move away. And fill my truck box up FULL of bags and then when they ALL fly out all over the county, then head for a better town.
Yeah, there are some real whiners in this County, just waiting to tell others what they should be doing.

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

That sounds like St. Albert too.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In think on Provincial Primary highway ditches, city streets it is illegal ( ie single and double digit- 1,2, 14,15 ,16, 22 etc ) . Secondary hwy ditches and rural roads and town streets it is the jurisdiction of the County - some do- some don't and some do if you have plates, insurance and riding with a helmet. Strathcona County it is totally illegal anywhere in the county unless you have a special permit. They (the RCMP 's) followed my tracks to my door and told me so and wrote up a warning for $550 worth of fines if I did it again ( my sled wasn't even on the yard at the time ) . :confused::confused::confused::rant:

Last edited:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Municipalities CAN change the bylaw for primary highways. They make a special application and likely carry some sort of insurance for it. Strathcona county USED to be a nice place to ride. Parkland has always been a fairly progressive county. My hats off to them.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Should do some middle of the night rides to houses of anti-sled guys, leave tracks, fugg off and call the RC's to complain...

In think on Provincial Primary highway ditches, city streets it is illegal ( ie single and double digit- 1,2, 14,15 ,16, 22 etc ) . Secondary hwy ditches and rural roads and town streets it is the jurisdiction of the County - some do- some don't and some do if you have plates, insurance and riding with a helmet. Strathcona County it is totally illegal anywhere in the county unless you have a special permit. They (the RCMP 's) followed my tracks to my door and told me so and wrote up a warning for $550 worth of fines if I did it again ( my sled wasn't even on the yard at the time ) . :confused::confused::confused::rant:

Top Bottom