Differn't gearing for a M1000

shedy

Reaction score
Looking at changing the gears out to m8 ratio. Would like to hear what ever one is running for gear ratio's on the m1000.

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would like to hear from people that have geared down also. A little info on changes in clutching when gearing down also? Thanks.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I geared my M1000 down to M8 gears and I highly recommend it, it helps with belt temps and bottom end pull and I felt the holding power was greater in a climb. You may have to add some weight to your primary though to get full advantage of the gearing because if you over-rev a 1000 they make way less power. Keep an eye on the classified section as I am selling my set soon as I bought a 09 and the gears aren't the same.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I think I paid $280 for the set so I will probably take $150.00, they have less than 1000 miles on them and I have checked them every season and they are in excellent shape. I dont have them out yet, it will be a couple of weeks as I am so far behind that I think I am first!

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did on mine, only noticed easier on belts no difference otherwise.

Hey just a heads up, I run an M8 Belt on my M1000, you may have to pull a clutch shim out to let the belt fit. Only reason I did this was to save 100 bucks between the two belt prices, cannot believe cat charges extra 100 bones for the M1000 belt as compared to the M8.... Got this advice from several M1000 owners and my parts guy at our local dealership. I also hear the M8 is a tougher belt as it is meant to handle the M8 torque..... Hope this helps you out

GPsnownut

Reaction score
Hey just a heads up, I run an M8 Belt on my M1000, you may have to pull a clutch shim out to let the belt fit. Only reason I did this was to save 100 bucks between the two belt prices, cannot believe cat charges extra 100 bones for the M1000 belt as compared to the M8.... Got this advice from several M1000 owners and my parts guy at our local dealership. I also hear the M8 is a tougher belt as it is meant to handle the M8 torque..... Hope this helps you out

I'm not sure what size the M8 takes for a belt, but the M1000 takes the 046 and this is the standard AC belt for around $140.00 and M1000will also take the 060 which is a kevlar belt for around $220.00, which my dealer tells me is the difference. I use the more expensive belt as I get aprox. twice the distance with it over the regular belt.
Gearing down to M8 gears, I think is a good thing, will loose top end speed, but you will gain track speed when climbing as long as set up is right.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what size the M8 takes for a belt, but the M1000 takes the 046 and this is the standard AC belt for around $140.00 and M1000will also take the 060 which is a kevlar belt for around $220.00, which my dealer tells me is the difference. I use the more expensive belt as I get aprox. twice the distance with it over the regular belt.
Gearing down to M8 gears, I think is a good thing, will loose top end speed, but you will gain track speed when climbing as long as set up is right.

i think your both on the right track, when u get into the big hp. the two most important things are properly aligned clutches, and a broken in belt. 90 percent of the belts that brake are not broken in,,, takes 30 miles of "hangover riding" from experience...

T

Top Bottom