Differences between viper and sidewinder

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So looking at getting into a 4 stroke turbo. Was debating a side winder but found a trade for a viper for my t3 wondering what the main difference is between the two? Any feedback is muchly appreciated! FYI viper is narrowed with a boost it kit that I'm considering a trade on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huge difference. Not trying to be smart but google and YouTube for each and you'll learn lots.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't rode a viper but I recommend spending a day on a sidewinder before making your decision. I have a feeling you won't buy the viper after riding the sidewinder.

Prairie Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sidewinder. Factory built turbo. Can easily upgrade to more power if need be. Sidewinder has lay down steering where Viper probly has flat steering (depending on year). Boost it makes a great kit but there's something to be said about a factory turbo with warranty if 190ish hp is enuf. I traded my mcx Viper on a Sidewinder. I loved my Viper but am really looking forward to getting some more miles on my Sidewinder

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chassis is virtually the same if the viper has the narrow kit like you mentioned. A boost it viper will walk on a factory sidewinder all day long. But you will have to run good gas in the viper vs pump in a sidewinder.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chassis is virtually the same if the viper has the narrow kit like you mentioned. A boost it viper will walk on a factory sidewinder all day long. But you will have to run good gas in the viper vs pump in a sidewinder.

Was told its pump but guess a mixture couldn't hurt ! I loved my m chasis sleds so should be fine ! What percent av would you go with I can get av really easy so probably the route ill go

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was told its pump but guess a mixture couldn't hurt ! I loved my m chasis sleds so should be fine ! What percent av would you go with I can get av really easy so probably the route ill go

ran straight av in mine with no issues at 10psi

kmcl

Reaction score
I have a sidewinder and love it. Rode our shops demo 2016 mpi viper and it's a completely different feel. I came off a rev xp to the sidewinder and it felt like a fairly seamless transition except for a bit of extra weight

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a sidewinder and love it. Rode our shops demo 2016 mpi viper and it's a completely different feel. I came off a rev xp to the sidewinder and it felt like a fairly seamless transition except for a bit of extra weight

the motor may feel different but the chassis is virtually the same. The steering is 2014 viper steering. Front end is the same. Rear suspension is the same. Seat is the same. Track is the same.

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the motor may feel different but the chassis is virtually the same. The steering is 2014 viper steering. Front end is the same. Rear suspension is the same. Seat is the same. Track is the same.

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't rode a sidewinder yet but my boost it viper is the best handling and lightest turbu Yamaha I've owned , throttle response is unreal and if you want to crank up the boost add some race and go .. here's a link sled is mint tons of extras will look at trades ..

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
You would be a fool to go to the viper, lots of issues in 15 with engines and many more issues, crappy steering post location and feel, the new sidewinder has the rollover protection, viper does not. Vipers are super cheap to buy but for a reason, you can't give them away right now. I will also say a viper with a low boost kit 190 hp is not the same as the sidewinder trust me.

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2016 had weak rods on the early production engines not 2015.. Lots of issues?? 2008-2015 same engine and pretty much bullet proof with boost, water to air intercooler only way to go. Good on Yamaha for bringing a factory turbo out but your always limited for boost and always want more.
You would be a fool to go to the viper, lots of issues in 15 with engines and many more issues, crappy steering post location and feel, the new sidewinder has the rollover protection, viper does not. Vipers are super cheap to buy but for a reason, you can't give them away right now. I will also say a viper with a low boost kit 190 hp is not the same as the sidewinder trust me.

Last edited:

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hes not talking about a low boost kit. He's talking about a boost it kit. High boost with a water to air intercooler. You can easily switch the steering back to the old style on a viper (same as sidewinder) and still be saving a ton of cash. I roll my viper over with no issues

kmcl

Reaction score

I've only ridden 15 and newer vipers and I realize everything else is the same but with the throttle response the sidewinder has compared to a turbo viper it has a completely different ride.

kmcl

Reaction score
hes not talking about a low boost kit. He's talking about a boost it kit. High boost with a water to air intercooler. You can easily switch the steering back to the old style on a viper (same as sidewinder) and still be saving a ton of cash. I roll my viper over with no issues

No issues except the fact that you dump oil out of your intake on the viper when it is upside down which is an issue that was addressed and fixed in the sidewinder

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How was the oil dumping out addressed in the Sidewinder? Just by adding the electronic shut-off valve? Curious as this famous characteristic cost me $5500 rebuild on one of our Nytro's...

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this also, on the Nytro's we resolved the issue 100%. But wondering what Yamaha did to resolve this on their Sidewinder.

Top Bottom