Damage from axel pop out on grizz

Major

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe I can still use this axel with a little clean up or should i get a new one? the Inside of the gear case is ok no damage just the end of the shaft.:cool:

Attachments

• DSC00576.jpg
    DSC00576.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00577.jpg
    DSC00577.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00578.jpg
    DSC00578.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC00582.jpg
    DSC00582.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 43

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
OHH .I would think about replacing it.they can't be that expensive/you wanna play ya gotta pay Steve

Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So that's what happened from them moving that little bit.Looks like you need to pick up a new set. or is the other one alright????

mudbug

Reaction score
You best pick your self up a new one, as well as a new retainer clip reason why your axle popped out in the first place. Common problem with these machines.
Don't use your old shaft :nono: there is not enough meat there to hold the retainer clip and you will end up replacing a lot more.

:smilieicon_ford:
Team ford all the way!!!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Its your call but my buddy did the exact same thing and is still running his. It was worse :eek: we used a small file and cleaned up the ring groove real good and reinstalled it with a new ring clip and good to go, so far. Like over a year of hard riding on it now.

Major

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other side is Good to go. I got two new clips and replaced the right side first. It never popped out on the trail. The left one did though as you can see. And that was the one that I replaced the axel seal on and never replaced the axel clip. Another leson learned at my expense lol:(. Its to bad the ol dealer never mentions or recomends new clips when you pull the axels out for any reason. For the 2 bucks that they cost, it would be well worth it. Another funny thing is that they told me to run Bellray 80w140 gear oil in the diff both front and back. That ch!t is so thick I can hardly spoon it in. I read on another forum that after going to thicker oil a fella popped his axels as well. He figured the thickness was plugging the vent line thus makeing pressure in the diff. and then contributing to axel popping out. I have to wonder if there is any truth to this theory. I always ran 80w90 till I replaced the seal. I ran the peanut butter oil and the axel popped out only on one side I pulled apart. I think the clip is the culprit myself. Any mechs out there that could comment on the oil theory?

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I can't see that pressure theory.You would think it would blow the seals before pushing axel out

Major

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe so. I dont think the pressure would be that great either. It only makes sense that the clip was pooched. I only had that one apart and that was the one that popped out. Doh!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I think the general consensus is to replace ,,,sorry for your luck,,,but they do come in threes ,diff,clutch and axel.so after this your good to go ,,no more problems

Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That oil problem is interesting my local dealer told me to 80 140 on my front diff in my 07 700 grizzly so I wonder if maybe they are talking out there anus. Should I be running 75 90 or 80 90 synthetic in my front and rear diffs and not worry about the thick stuff in the front. The back is okay with 75 90 but now I'm worried about the front:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Its your call but my buddy did the exact same thing and is still running his. It was worse :eek: we used a small file and cleaned up the ring groove real good and reinstalled it with a new ring clip and good to go, so far. Like over a year of hard riding on it now.

This is what I would do

FyreRyder

Reaction score
My grizz manual specs 80w90 api gl4 for both the front and rear diffs. Anyone know what the gl4 is? I just put in gl3 stuff from crappy tire. Should I change it again?

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would say if you clean up the axles, and put a new clip on, what we have done as well is to use and oring behind the clip it helps hold it in so this wont happen again, as far as the oil for the diff, we run 80w90 as spec from the manufacturer... they grizz's have a tendency to pop out the rear axles, as the groove in the axle is not deep enough, it has been "updated" for the 700's

always , always , always change the clip.......

fyi thats what they call, it without admitting its a problem!!!!

good luck

T

Major

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TTpowersports--So you figure that I should able to do some fancy file and dremmel work and it will be good to go? I have some synthetic 80w90 to put back in and I will run that from now on. I have new clips. Like I said earlier on in the post, I never replaced that clip. I just put a rebuilt front diff in. Now I never changed the clips on the front is that a known issue on the front as well?
Cheers

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TTpowersports--So you figure that I should able to do some fancy file and dremmel work and it will be good to go? I have some synthetic 80w90 to put back in and I will run that from now on. I have new clips. Like I said earlier on in the post, I never replaced that clip. I just put a rebuilt front diff in. Now I never changed the clips on the front is that a known issue on the front as well?
Cheers

well i dont think its something that happens all the time on the front, but if ur changing them............. i would use the little o rings,,an ounce of prevention...

if u have the time and a couple bucks for new clamp set, and the know how i would say ya do it now. i m not saying it will cure all axle problems but it will go along way in preventing ...uh unneccessary use of whisky money on quad parts.....:d:beer::d:beer:

just my 2 bits....

T

Major

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I priced out a complete new left rear shaft and that was worth 15.38 bottles of rum. Now I thought to myself, I have a file and a new clip and lots of time on my hands. I cleaned it up as best that I could and put on the new clip. installed into diff and I cant pull it out like I could before. I had both the chokers on it and gave it a good tug and she is still planted in there. I jsut have to torque everything up and put on the wheel and take it to the farm for a test run this weekend. If she bombs out there then I will get new axel. :beer:

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I priced out a complete new left rear shaft and that was worth 15.38 bottles of rum. Now I thought to myself, I have a file and a new clip and lots of time on my hands. I cleaned it up as best that I could and put on the new clip. installed into diff and I cant pull it out like I could before. I had both the chokers on it and gave it a good tug and she is still planted in there. I jsut have to torque everything up and put on the wheel and take it to the farm for a test run this weekend. If she bombs out there then I will get new axel. :beer:

thats a lot of bottles of rum.... if ur taking them to ur farm with u for the test run i feel its only fair u post directions, trying to look after what i assume is more lick her than ur body weight u-ll need some friends........lol

or am i wrong.....

t

Top Bottom