Cummins question buying help

Syncustom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be looking at an 07 5.9 with a 103,000kms. Truck looks clean but the dealer told me I couldn't take it for a test drive because the oil cooler needs to be replaced. What could have caused the failure with such low km's? Also what kinda of damage could that have cost? Thx

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watch the milage on those I know I had an 04 and you could turn your key back and that would shut off your odometer off. Make sure the truck looks like 100000km.

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seem to be partial to Dodge trucks, but if I went to a dealer and he couldn't let me test drive the truck due to mechanical issues, I would move on.

Also, 100k is prime front end time (upper and lower ball joints, u joints, tie rod ends). If that hasn't been done (and documented) it likely will need it soon.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seem to be partial to Dodge trucks, but if I went to a dealer and he couldn't let me test drive the truck due to mechanical issues, I would move on.

Also, 100k is prime front end time (upper and lower ball joints, u joints, tie rod ends). If that hasn't been done (and documented) it likely will need it soon.
I would disagree with the 2nd statement to a point - it depends on how the truck is driven. I've had Dodge diesels from 01 till now, usually don't need front end work until 200+K. I've 185000 on my current 1 ton that is used as a work truck, and have only done brakes and a couple u-joints once (at 150K). I might add that the truck looks like it only has 60K on it, so it depends on the driver.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be looking at an 07 5.9 with a 103,000kms. Truck looks clean but the dealer told me I couldn't take it for a test drive because the oil cooler needs to be replaced. What could have caused the failure with such low km's? Also what kinda of damage could that have cost? Thx
common

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't think 5.9 have a engine oil cooler.

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 5.9 did indeed have an oil cooler and there seems to be lots of them that require replacing judging by the number of hits when you google it. Once the dealers fixes it, take it for a test drive to see if you like it. There is quite a crowd who love the 5.9's as they were easier to boost with chips and such (so I am told). Have an 08 6.7 and the front end pieces started for me at about 140K. Looks like I will replace over the next year or so as the parts are failing one at a time. I am one of those people who leaves his stuff as stock as possible and am at now 200K and nothing but oil changes with the engine. Rest of the stuff seems pretty normal maintenance and consistently get 23 MPG on the highway. There is valid points above so make sure the truck is a legit 100K. Good luck

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't hurt to bring it to a mechanic you trust first either, it's $100 well spent even if you don't buy it... Just sayin your current diesel gave ya a surprise last year lol

Drifter1

Reaction score
The oiler cooler is located behind the oil filter on that motor. It's a rectangular box. What usually happens is oil gets in the antifreeze because oil is at a higher pressure then the coolant. Most of the time the coolers get a pin hole leak and when you check the coolant you see black film on it. Change the oil cooler and flush the rad to get ride of all the oil residue. It's usually not a big deal. But it wouldn't hurt to get somebody to look at it that knows.

I find it funny that the dealership would even put a truck out on the lot for sale that you can't test drive becouse of a mechanical problem like that. That in its self would be a big red flag. Is this at a actuall dodge dealership?

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure you can get the engine hours off the 07, also see if u can get a printout from a dodge dealership of all the data thats on the brainbox. well worth a diagnostic check, I have a 06 and did the entire front end and u joints @ 160,000k and an injector.

Top Bottom