Craftsman Snowblower issue

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Thought I would post this here before I go trying to find a repair shop.

I've got a Craftsman C950 Snowblower and for some reason it's decided it doesn't really want to drive. It seems in low gear when I try to go into a drift it just doesn't move. Not sure what the issue could be it's in the garage defrosting from doing most of the driveway.....

Open to ideas as to what to look at..... I've got a big mound of snow to be removed yet.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda what I’m thinking. And since you’re in there, change the flail belt too.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_6276.jpg

Should be a friction wheel

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the friction disc. Could be worn out, or if lots of snow or water got around it, it’s just not gripping well enough. Also check the linkage from the handle lever to see that it’s fully engaging when you press the lever down. Might just need the turnbuckle tightened up a bit to give more pressure at the friction disc.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have had that issue and for me it was a flat spot on the rubber friction wheel . A tiny rubber wheel between two metal clamps was the weak point in the drivetrain .

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
thanks everyone, I'm going to open up the bottom of it tonight and have a look.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hand lever for drive tighten/or shorting cable simple adjustment no opening up nothing

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone, I'm going to open up the bottom of it tonight and have a look.

the boys here have you on the right track. Check the lever/ pressure mechanism to see that it’s creating enough pressure on the drive, and clean off both friction wheels with brake cleaner. Then launch the snow into Ron’s yard. 😃

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
the boys here have you on the right track. Check the lever/ pressure mechanism to see that it’s creating enough pressure on the drive, and clean off both friction wheels with brake cleaner. Then launch the snow into Ron’s yard. 😃
Mike2704121826394505727193273's yard is closer.........

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much once every winter halfway through a snow blowing operation I have to stand mine on it’s nose, peel the bottom guard off and brake clean the rubber off the disc and wheel and give it a wipe down after it looses propel. Seems to always do it when I’m nowhere near the garage too lol.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I learned something today. I never knew of a friction wheel in those. Always thought it was just belts. I know I might have some fixing to do to mine, it sure didn’t like the 2x4 I use for a wheel chalk on the trailer. Stalled that snowblower dead instantly

Top Bottom