Coupled Skids

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be updating my skid very soon and will more then likely be going with Bakers Skid (Racers Edge) but would like to hear from some others who are running a coupled skid. I would like to support locally rather then support the US. The majority I have spoke with run Daryl's setup and are very happy. However the adjustability on the Kmod and the Timbersled skid is tempting in comparison to Bakers. I'm just not sure if the quality is their on the Timbersled and Kmod? I would rather go with Bakers setup as I know it works and works well and will hold up to the abuse I plan on putting it through. Please inform me of what you have experienced. Hoping someone will chime in that has ran both or even all 3

Prices are all similar with options to buy complete skids or conversions. I like the complete skid idea as I can sell my stocker skid quite easily and make up a bit for the difference

Ballpark pricing:

Complete Timbersled Skid $3000
Timbersled Conversion $1450
(Fox Float X Evol or Exit X1 Shocks)

Complete Kmod Skid $2500
Kmod Conversion $1850
(Raptor Shocks)

Complete Racers Edge Skid $3500
Racers Edge Conversion $2000
(Elka or Raptor Shocks)

http://youtu.be/8s9guBzlyuw

http://youtu.be/mUWE3ITfBcI

Thanks

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just go for the 3 inch 174 racers edge,
It's fine in the trees and when you wanna climb just go! I find 174 better in trees because its more forgiving than 162 and the 3 inch 174 keeps on going!!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Timbersled and Kmod are both high quality skids and the adjustability is nice to have. Lots of pro riders run these skids with exellent results.

I perfer the design of the timber sled skid over the kmod..But thats just me.

I have No experience with the racers edge, but I hear good things, and it is good to support local buisness for sure.

Dont think you can go wrong with any of these skids.:beer:

Last edited:

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Timbersled and Kmod are both high quality skids and the adjustability is nice to have. Lots of pro riders run these skids with exellent results.

I perfer the design of the timber sled skid over the kmod..But thats just me.

I have No experience with the racers edge, but I hear good things, and it is good to support local buisness for sure.

Dont think you can go wrong with any of these skids.:beer:

Do you own a Timbersled Skid? How many rides did it take before you had it dialed in and how sensitive is the adjustment knob? How many full turns to crank all the way in/out

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Racers Edge builds quality product and provides great after sales service. You cant go wrong with Darryl and Lance.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Racers Edge builds quality product and provides great after sales service. You cant go wrong with Darryl and Lance.

Thanks I agree

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My answer to this question:

Ask JP....because he only uses what has already been proven to be the best:D But, I see he's already been here!! LOL

My buddy has a KMOD w/ raptors and it appears to work real well too (3"x163") I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the quality coupled skids!!

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iv herd of coupling skids on a few polaris's(not picking on poo just all I herd this issue on so far) were kinking the tunnels and require tunnel bracing, Anyone hear of these problems on doo or cat??

Last edited:

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also does anyone know if the baker conversion will work with ice age rails on a doo (bent the factory ones lol)??

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iv herd of coupling skids on a few polaris's(not picking on poo just all I herd this issue on so far) were kinking the tunnels and require tunnel bracing, Anyone hear of these problems on doo or cat??

Yes all 3 come with bracing and is mandatory or you will bend your tunnel I'm pretty sure it is on all sleds I would want to brace regardless

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the 2 timbersled skids didnt come with anything. I have seen the baker skid rear plate tho, maybe t-sled just didnt put them in those kits??

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have bakers skid and a timbersled, the timbersled is one of the originals it's very poor, it doesn't couple nearly as good. I've spent alot of money on rear arms I've broke 2 I revalved the floats 4 times then replaced them with the evols and its still poor. I strictly climb and rarely come out of the snow the rear arms just keep braking due to design. I really like the option of running the blocks in the baker it makes quite a difference on a rough trail also when not climbing chutes having the blocks out makes it a little nicer to handle.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have bakers skid and a timbersled, the timbersled is one of the originals it's very poor, it doesn't couple nearly as good. I've spent alot of money on rear arms I've broke 2 I revalved the floats 4 times then replaced them with the evols and its still poor. I strictly climb and rarely come out of the snow the rear arms just keep braking due to design. I really like the option of running the blocks in the baker it makes quite a difference on a rough trail also when not climbing chutes having the blocks out makes it a little nicer to handle.

That is great feedback, I'm not into revalving 4 times and replacing broken arms. Does the older Timbersled skid you have - have the same adjustment as the newer ones? This is really the only benefit I see is the adjustability is their where as the Bakers setup it is just in or out...with the blocks out of the bakers skid does it still couple only to a less of a degree? I definitely need a coupled skid as the stock skid just isnt working for me but I do a lot more steep tree pokes then full on chutes so I guess what I am after is something I can fine tune that will keep the skis down when needed but still be playful enough in the trees.

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was hard to adjust the timbersled on the hill. They are different now. 6 years of use has made them alot better I'm sure. I really like my baker I only put the blocks in if there is something that is slowing me down.

Iceman56

Reaction score
I am in same boat as you EZsmoke, gonna turbo a Pro next year can't decide on what skid to go with (well can't decide on what turbo either lol)... The only thing that scares me about the Bakers skid is that it is more or less a M10 from what I hear... I have heard that they can be a less "playfull" skid and make it more nose heavy. I understand that they are prolly the best performing skid it the steep and deep. But what about boondocking, jumping, hammering out creek bottoms or popping the front up across creeks, and just all around fun???
My thing is I am not gonna build a 2 stroke turbo to be a point and shoot sled, that defeats the purpose IMO... I have a 4 stroke for that, and honestly that gets old after awhile. I want it to be good at everything that is why I am kinda leaning toward a Kmod. I think it may be a little lighter on the front and more playfull... The adjustable coupling block sounds like you can go from one extreme to the next in about 2 seconds.
Has anyone rode both a bakers and Kmod? I have only rode a Kmod on an Apex, so I really have no experince with either.
Like 174mcx I have an older style Timbersled on my TNytro and I was never impressed with it so I wanna try something different this time.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both the older stlye Timbersled and the new version. The new version is excellent, i'm not using a turbo though, but i like the idea of being able to adjust the amount of coupling by turning the adjuster in or out in seconds. The limiter strap i had out all the way at first and it worked great, but wheeled just a touch to much for me on a steep climb so i sucked it up one hole and for me thats better. It absorbs any trenches or holes with ease, i only went with the XO shocks and i was able to get into a complete suspension with Ice Age rails for $2000.00.

Top Bottom