Cool Guns

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So my youngest son does demo/reno of homes in the Okanagan valley. On a resent job doing the tear out his guys came across this beautiful BSA Lee-enfield 303 British scout rifle buried in the floor of this older home. The owner of the home had no clue of it existence and had been living in the home for nearly 20yrs.
I'm now the lucky owner, my son gave it to me as the home owner gave it to him. The rifle is in really good condition, stock is beautiful, minor surface rust only.
I did a little research from the ID markings and year. It was made in 1917, so its 100years old. It was also commissioned in Her Majesty Army in 1917 and then recommissioned in 1944. This rifle might have seen 2 wars. Anyhow thought i'ed share.
Anyone notice something missing on the rifle?
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f107/mikeslund/IMG_0654.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f107/mikeslund/IMG_0653.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f107/mikeslund/IMG_0652.jpg

Looks like it's missing the mag, I have one too. Just found a mag for it, was $90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like it's missing the mag, I have one too. Just found a mag for it, was $90.

Thanks, it was missing the mag. I found one on Wednesday.
I'm working on a deal on something EXTREMELY rare and would be the coolest in my collection. If it works out i'll post pic's of it.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Almost lunch

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks, it was missing the mag. I found one on Wednesday.
I'm working on a deal on something EXTREMELY rare and would be the coolest in my collection. If it works out i'll post pic's of it.
How much did you pay for it? And which one did you get? The "sniper" 8 round mag? Or the 4 round one that sits flush? I only got the flush one. The longer mag was $130...

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will have to post pic's of my purchase yesterday. Nothing fancy, but I've wanted one for over a year now.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much did you pay for it? And which one did you get? The "sniper" 8 round mag? Or the 4 round one that sits flush? I only got the flush one. The longer mag was $130...

Its a 10 round mag, found it for $45...no its not pin either.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, lets see if you gun guru's can figure what this is.......LOL
It took me 2 weeks of negotiating to get a deal on this, so your not going to find this at Cabala's.
This rifle honestly takes the cool factor to a whole new level

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you find more then one? I'd like one of those more then mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I only got the one, i have no plans on shooting this rifle but i will give the guy a call. He has a few odds and ends for the old Enfields.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I only got the one, i have no plans on shooting this rifle but i will give the guy a call. He has a few odds and ends for the old Enfields.

Okay thanks. Mine looks pretty similar to yours but no medallion hole in the stock, no lever on the side of the stock. It has the brass buttstock end, and is stamped 1942

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It took me 2 weeks of negotiating to get a deal on this, so your not going to find this at Cabala's.

I'd have to guess Remmy 8 or maybe 81.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'd have to guess Remmy 8 or maybe 81.

That's probably the closest guess i will get and believe me you are very close but NOPE, its not. The Remington 8 and 81 are not common but more common then this one. Care to give it another try, being you guessed the Rem 8 you should figure this out.

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll admit to using some google-fu. I thought for sure it was the Remington because I almost bought one a few years ago at the Calgary show, didn't realize they had sold the rights to production.

Attachments

• Gasser-Ullrich-TITLE1.jpg
    Gasser-Ullrich-TITLE1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 362

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll admit to using some google-fu. I thought for sure it was the Remington because I almost bought one a few years ago at the Calgary show, didn't realize they had sold the rights to production.

Its a 1929 FN model 1900 .35cal remington. Serial #4874. There were only 4913 of these rifles made by Fabrique Nationale and could not be legally imported into the US.
While Remington produced nearly 80,000 of the model 8 from the early 1900 to the 1950's with their model 81. To bad you should had grabbed it, even they are very rare now.
The rifle was the first successful semi auto loader, designed and patented by John Browning and during this time he sold the rights to the Belgium arm's company Fabrique Nationale.
Because of an arm's teriff imposed on FN on importing arm's to the US, Remington made a deal with Browning and FN on having the rights to manufacture the rifle in the US. Known as the model 8 and 81.

As a side note these rifles were used by law enforcement agencies like the FBI and Marshall's in the US. The Remington model 8/81 is the rifle that
Marshall Frank Hamer used in the ambush of Bonnie and Clyde in 1934.

Also, even though the Remington 8 and FN 1900 are related or cousins, they are different in manufacturing and not all parts are interchangeable. The FN 1900 is a more highly sought for rifle with higher quality finish.

Last edited:

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a Vortex viper 6.5-20x44 I bought last year that I may try on it. Might be to much though.

Top Bottom