Convince Me

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Always. I sit here on snow and mud a lot, listening to some hair brained ideas, I go ride 70 days a season, I sit there with my riding group a discuss improvements, I go on skidoo VIP tours, discuss with some high up folks @ skidoo. and the conclusion is always wow this sled is awesome will be really hard to top next year. There is hardly anything I would change about it. In 2012 we thought hard about the improvements required and all we came up with was the running boards. Then they totally blew us away with the t motion and chassis refinements. Now this year same position I can sit here and think all day and I really come up empty handed with what more I want out of a sled. As again skidoo will probly suprise me in an area I never even considered. So to answer your question simply the XM can get better an will get better. And when I got on my 2010 when it was brand new all the same thoughts ran through my head. Then they introduced the Etec. And again the ball was rolling the sled got better. Of course in 2010 it was the best sled on the snow and i had never had so much fun in my life. Now I don't really want to ride it. Things progress I'm not goin to deny that and I'm not going to buy an XM and say its better than your pro rmk in 5 years because things change. Despite what I say there are talented engineers brainstorming 24 7 to build the next hot product. That's not my job and that's why I say things like I do. Because I don't create or imagine those ideas someone else does. But I am fortunate enough to ride a brand new sled every year and one that is slightly better than the last because our manufacturers keep improving them.

Maxwell, you out did yourself. That is brilliant!

Next year, well we will see but I doo agree that this is the best but not the last of the best.

I was amazed in '08, '10, and '12. The '13 is more than amazing........JMHO

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always. I sit here on snow and mud a lot, listening to some hair brained ideas, I go ride 70 days a season, I sit there with my riding group a discuss improvements, I go on skidoo VIP tours, discuss with some high up folks @ skidoo. and the conclusion is always wow this sled is awesome will be really hard to top next year. There is hardly anything I would change about it. In 2012 we thought hard about the improvements required and all we came up with was the running boards. Then they totally blew us away with the t motion and chassis refinements. Now this year same position I can sit here and think all day and I really come up empty handed with what more I want out of a sled. As again skidoo will probly suprise me in an area I never even considered. So to answer your question simply the XM can get better an will get better. And when I got on my 2010 when it was brand new all the same thoughts ran through my head. Then they introduced the Etec. And again the ball was rolling the sled got better. Of course in 2010 it was the best sled on the snow and i had never had so much fun in my life. Now I don't really want to ride it. Things progress I'm not goin to deny that and I'm not going to buy an XM and say its better than your pro rmk in 5 years because things change. Despite what I say there are talented engineers brainstorming 24 7 to build the next hot product. That's not my job and that's why I say things like I do. Because I don't create or imagine those ideas someone else does. But I am fortunate enough to ride a brand new sled every year and one that is slightly better than the last because our manufacturers keep improving them.

cudo's Maxwell... I was not expecting logical reasoning!!! I will keep my next smart azz comment to myself thank you!! :)

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Can't you at least imagine 10-15 lbs lighter?

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been thiking about getting a new sled for next year. I currently ride a 08 M8. I switched to arctic cat from brp in 08 because I didn't care for the xp. I have been looking at proclimbs but part of me is thinking about switching back to ski-doo and getting a summit. I have done the reading but wanted to start this thread anyway. What do you guys like about the summit xm? What would you change or what things bother you? I asked the cat crowd to convince me to stay, now I am asking you xm crowd to convince me to switch lol.

Just peruse the forum. You are pretty late to this discussion. Everyone has been giving reviews since November.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I originally posted this on Snowest but it relates well to the question you asked:

I have been an M lover and an XP hater for years. I owned an 11' HCR and turbo 11' M8. I was all pumped up for putting a full season on my TM8 as I just picked it up the end of last season. I kept telling myself "this is it, I finally have a turbo M8, I WILL be keeping this thing for years, I don't care how good the newer chassis sleds are".

Long story short, my buddy had a 13' XM and I rode it for only 5 mins down the trail and turned it around in the powder. I was sold. And it's funny because I never liked the XP's.

These XM's are totally rider forward which feels more like a dirt bike. You are more "in" the machine then just "on" it. Steering is soooo much easier than the M's, especially on the trail. I've got tendonitis from lifting weights and the M made it worse. I don't even feel it anymore on the Doo. I just rode this sled for 2 straight days and burned a full tank of fuel and the jerry can each day. Woke up the 3rd day with energy and ready to ride again. Just some soreness in my upper back. I was joking to my friends that my chest was sore from pushing the XM off of me because it pulls the front end up so much. This is a good thing especially because my M's always had brutal front/rear weight transfer.

The XM works very well with the 16" track. It just climbs and climbs and climbs. Funny thing is you can set this sled up to climb well and pull some mean catwalks for fun. The M's climb well but they do it much slower than the Doo's. I hate to say this but even at 12lbs of boost on my M8, with a stock skid and track, the XM wouldn't be too far behind on a good climb.

My motor is not broke in yet on the Doo but it feels as strong as the Cat on the trail. In the powder, no comparison, the Doo gets up and chews and actually makes good use of that power. I was worried at first about the Etech reliability. They have proven themselves and are dialed in. They had some ring updates a few years ago and haven't had an issue since.

I'm 6'3" and have always used risers on my M's. I don't feel the need for one on the XM. The bar placement and the steering angle just feels neutral and natural to me.

I find the XM also gives you a lot more options for sidehilling, downhill descents etc with the running board cutouts being so far forward. It's a bonus. And every M needs new running boards that actually clear snow.

The only thing the Doo is lacking is on some steeeeep sidehills the track is prone to washing out prematurely. But it's a non issue. You can get super far forward on the boards and lean onto the front of the sled and cut back the throttle and keep a mean sidehill.

Sorry for the long post but this sled kicks some a$$. And I don't like to admit it because there's a lot of Dbags that give the SkiDoo guys a bad name.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I originally posted this on Snowest but it relates well to the question you asked:

I have been an M lover and an XP hater for years. I owned an 11' HCR and turbo 11' M8. I was all pumped up for putting a full season on my TM8 as I just picked it up the end of last season. I kept telling myself "this is it, I finally have a turbo M8, I WILL be keeping this thing for years, I don't care how good the newer chassis sleds are".

Long story short, my buddy had a 13' XM and I rode it for only 5 mins down the trail and turned it around in the powder. I was sold. And it's funny because I never liked the XP's.

These XM's are totally rider forward which feels more like a dirt bike. You are more "in" the machine then just "on" it. Steering is soooo much easier than the M's, especially on the trail. I've got tendonitis from lifting weights and the M made it worse. I don't even feel it anymore on the Doo. I just rode this sled for 2 straight days and burned a full tank of fuel and the jerry can each day. Woke up the 3rd day with energy and ready to ride again. Just some soreness in my upper back. I was joking to my friends that my chest was sore from pushing the XM off of me because it pulls the front end up so much. This is a good thing especially because my M's always had brutal front/rear weight transfer.

The XM works very well with the 16" track. It just climbs and climbs and climbs. Funny thing is you can set this sled up to climb well and pull some mean catwalks for fun. The M's climb well but they do it much slower than the Doo's. I hate to say this but even at 12lbs of boost on my M8, with a stock skid and track, the XM wouldn't be too far behind on a good climb.

My motor is not broke in yet on the Doo but it feels as strong as the Cat on the trail. In the powder, no comparison, the Doo gets up and chews and actually makes good use of that power. I was worried at first about the Etech reliability. They have proven themselves and are dialed in. They had some ring updates a few years ago and haven't had an issue since.

I'm 6'3" and have always used risers on my M's. I don't feel the need for one on the XM. The bar placement and the steering angle just feels neutral and natural to me.

I find the XM also gives you a lot more options for sidehilling, downhill descents etc with the running board cutouts being so far forward. It's a bonus. And every M needs new running boards that actually clear snow.

The only thing the Doo is lacking is on some steeeeep sidehills the track is prone to washing out prematurely. But it's a non issue. You can get super far forward on the boards and lean onto the front of the sled and cut back the throttle and keep a mean sidehill.

Sorry for the long post but this sled kicks some a$$. And I don't like to admit it because there's a lot of Dbags that give the SkiDoo guys a bad name.

Thanks a lot man! I know exactly what you mean about the terrible weight transfer and running boards of the M. It is going to be a tough decision and I still havr aome thinkibg to do. My next set of days off I am going to try to get some seat time on both sleds.

Thanks guys!

McTwist

Reaction score
I had a 10 M8 before my XM, never got really comfortable on the M8. Could never get the skid set up to my liking always trenched on me. I could handle fine got me around good enough but didn't have lots of confidence riding it.

I spring checked the XM based on all the reviews from the demo rides. It sounded to me like it wasn't an XP and worth giving a try. I went for a 163 X package. I love the XM, it is an awesome sled. I have more confidence riding it and am pushing myself more and more every ride. It is very nimble and so easy to ride. It gets up on top of the snow no trenching just seems to go and go. Most times to get unstuck all it takes is a little rocking and throttle and it climbs right up on top of the snow. I can ride for longer without breaks because it is so easy to do what I want to do, the sled doesn't fight me. It is the best sled I have ever ridden.

I was out riding with 6 Arctic Cats this weekend and the comment they said the most was how clean the running boards of my XM were compared to theirs. I will say though the new proclimbs seem like pretty decent sleds.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Climb higher, climb faster through the trees and even with the skis upside down......this is the best stock sled out there!

IMG_0651.jpg

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure an XM has been granted the Order of Canada. It was a 154" X model with a Carbon Fiber Can and a DJ clutch kit...but no estart.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

NeilV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do the front ends still dive on these like they did on the xp or did they fix that problem? spent some time on a '12 xp and liked it, other than the fact that it always wanted to nose into the snow and dive to one side or the other and it also took a lot more effort to ride because of that.

Top Bottom