complete noob question... so I apologize in advance!

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All these responses and only 1 person mentions avy gear. I expected more than that. This guy just said him and his riding buddies are all new to mountain riding. The most important thing is that you guys have beacons shovels and probes and know how to use them. I would recommend finding someone to ride with who can guide you around and show you what areas your machines can handle and what risks there are up in the hills. Your best bet is an avy course.

Don't worry bout the sleds. Guys have been going to the mountains for a long time on a lot older machines.

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
All these responses and only 1 person mentions avy gear. I expected more than that. This guy just said him and his riding buddies are all new to mountain riding. The most important thing is that you guys have beacons shovels and probes and know how to use them. I would recommend finding someone to ride with who can guide you around and show you what areas your machines can handle and what risks there are up in the hills. Your best bet is an avy course.

Don't worry bout the sleds. Guys have been going to the mountains for a long time on a lot older machines.

Yah just saw that, I had assumed he was going up with some guys with experience and the right safety gear. Doesn't mean that he can't go with his group, but its like going out on hwy 16 in a old car with drum brakes and no seat belts. You will probably make it okay but if anything a bit bad happens you will be in real trouble!

if you can at least, rent the gear and go with someone who can show you how to use it, and how to read the mountain. Best case scenario is an Avy course for sure!

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't rent you will fine with what you got, try it out before buying a mtn sled. Rent avy items.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We second this response ...
We do Rider clinics out of Fernie and teach riders (mostly from the flat lands ) how to ride in the mountains and make their sled feel light... sometimes we get real green riders and other times riders that have been around sleds most their life. We take out riders on short tracks and they have a blast but we never leave the parking lot till you are geared up... Shovel, Probe, Beacon. and really I beleave you should have a Avi Bag of some sort.

Also don't be afraid to spend the money on a guide or a clinic ( often near the same coast) and make the most of your trip.
Why drive x distance and not make the most of it, plus more often then not guides and educators will show you some of the things to look for.

When we take people out they always get fresh snow and Terrain that suites their sleds and ability.

Once you come to the Mts you will be hooked.
Have fun

scott 259

Reaction score
all of us going are mountain noobs so... I'll also be with a Crossfire and another Cat 4-stroker with smaller track.

You should get someone with "MTN Exp" to guide you and show you where "NOT TO GO", You Need all your riding buddies to have proper equipment ie peeps,probe,shovel and know how to use them, they maybe looking for "you",or you guys may have to help a search in the area for someone else, bad time to start learning.
Enjoy your trip, have fun...good rule on the rock - if you dont know, dont go.
Scott

Last edited:

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avy gear is obviously the most important thing. The sled you have will get you to the alpine in any area that has a groomed trail so you'll be on your own from there. When we first started going to the mountains we pretty much all had short tracks and spent most of our time breaking a trail away from the cabin. then back to the cabin to dry gloves and have a snack. If the rider numbers are good, even if its deep there will be tracks to follow.
Any day in the mountains is better than a day at work.:cool:

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My advice stay out of creek beds they tend to become bottomless in a hurry

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is barily any snow in Valmount right now.. Allan Creek looks like some one steam rolled the intire mountain,, Any thing over 121inch track and 50hp is over kill....lol

There is some hidden stash spots of snow,,but you have to know where to look..

Revy for life!

PGlover

Reaction score
I'm not totally unfamiliar with the mountain. I've spent some time back country and cat boarding in the past. Totally different from sledding, but still in there. We will for sure rent and learn to use the avy gear! Thanks for the tips guys, looking forward to this trip now!

Top Bottom