cold weather riden

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Battery hot vest, gloves and socks.
Heated goggles.
Don't work yourself into a sweat or you're done.

Easy, just spent those gift certificates on the correct items.

You do not have to go to MEC or Campers Village to get this stuff.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the milwaukee 12v mini chainsaw - zip the useless top handle off with a grinder - get a couple batteries for it - throw it in the pelican box - good to go - bonfire ready
View attachment 249382

Last edited:

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Extra gloves and balaclava. And switch them out. I rotate them through my goggle warmer.

And careful when you hang your balaclava in the engine bay to thaw out. Burnt mine on the pipe

cory_697

Reaction score
perfect going for christmas and mcbride dont look to warm haha

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also,stay in the trees. For whatever reason it always feels warmer in the trees. And stay moving you only feel the cold on the trail up and down and when stopped or up top in the wide open areas.

Seen a Norona video that said layer but don't be warm in your snow suit when you are just sitting. As this will lead to sweating when you are playing.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I choose stay home, but this might be an option too haha

20211222_085033.jpg

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tape over all the vents in your helmet for trail ride and get a kilm arctic balaclava. Make sure you have no air leaks around googles or you will have frost bite in a hurray. Electrical tape works great because it doesn’t leave any residue when you take it off.

• Recommends
Reactions: RXN

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple things I like to do
A) if Im refilling my water bottles, I use hot water. Helps to not drink ice cold liquid.
B) I carry my jetboil to be able to have warm drinks like hot chocolate, or I will even warm up gatorade to avoid drinking cold fluids. I actually don’t mind warm gatoraide but it doesn’t have to be hot. Just not ice cold.

C) having hand guards or wind guards is a huge help on the trail.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Layers is best way way. Battery power stuff is fine but wouldn’t rely on them and they are not as warm when batteries are dead. And make sure you have fire starter just in case things go sideways. But like said sometimes it’s best to stay home. After -25 it gets dangerous to be out there

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Layers is best way way. Battery power stuff is fine but wouldn’t rely on them and they are not as warm when batteries are dead. And make sure you have fire starter just in case things go sideways. But like said sometimes it’s best to stay home. After -25 it gets dangerous to be out there
exactly.... i have battery powered gloves and they do crap out before the end of the day but i also carry some good quality gloves as a back up...

You want to stay warm spend the money on good quality gear.. i have been winter riding for alot of years and always had the battle of trying to stay warm. Purchased decent gear trying to save a few $$ and by the time i layered up enough to stay warm i was so uncomfortable it really was not enjoyable. Over the past few years as my older gear was failing i purchased quality gear and boy did it make a difference. I still layer up but now my layers are a base layer and my normal everyday cloths and a sweater under my gear. i keep a extra sweater and light jacket in the storage box just incase but have yet to need it. i may be a little cool at first but once i get moving im toasty all day and actually have to peal back the layers to cool down when i stop

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Upper layer ..
Merino wool base
Tee shirt + light weight turtle neck if below -20 C
Tec vest
Klim shell

Bottom layer
Merino base
Klim fleece
Klim shell

I keep a HH heavy Merino base and socks in waterproof kit for just in case ..

Rides out can be cool but just star moving and it warms up.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-20 limit for me too. Sometimes I'm out for a rescue when it's colder though. Add a down layer up top and fleece pants to my usual layering, heavy weight buff, and mitts instead of gloves on the trail.

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ditch banged in -30 lots when I was a kid, now in my old age I wait till -23 if there’s nothing better in the forecast lol, but yeah if you drove all the way to the mountains what choice do you have braaaaap!
One annoying thing in those temps is how dusty the snow is and usually any air filter has to be warmed up!

Last edited:
Top Bottom