clutch or belt problem

Buchanan

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Arctic cat 650H1 and i dont know if it is a commen problem but the last ride i went on i broke the clutch and ripped the belt up. i had the clutch fixed and put a new belt on. I went for a ride yesterday and something in the house let loose and the bike quit moving i have not taken the cover off yet to see what went wrong this time but i could smell burnt rubber so i am guessing it is the same problem. was this a something that has been happening with them bikes or is it just mine. If so what would be recommended. Any help would be great thanks.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Arctic cat 650H1 and i dont know if it is a commen problem but the last ride i went on i broke the clutch and ripped the belt up. i had the clutch fixed and put a new belt on. I went for a ride yesterday and something in the house let loose and the bike quit moving i have not taken the cover off yet to see what went wrong this time but i could smell burnt rubber so i am guessing it is the same problem. was this a something that has been happening with them bikes or is it just mine. If so what would be recommended. Any help would be great thanks.

Do you ever put it in low for technical riding? I think this may be your problem.

Buchanan

Reaction score
yeah i have the bike in low most of the time, but both times this happened i was driving down flat dirt roads at about 30mph.

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what part of the clutches were broken when you took it apart, primary, secondary, wet clutch? more info needed.

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if the primary fell apart it was probably not put together right in the first place, or the bolt was not torqued and back off. The out side sheave needs to slid on an lock on the end while you put the bolt in place an tighten it. It can not turn freely. I'm assuming it is like Suzuki because the engine is the same, go on to you tube 2 mm shim mod for Suzuki 700 King Quad extended video if it is the same this will help you out big time , good luck.

Buchanan

Reaction score
the last time i took it apart the rollers out of the clutch were laying in the bottom of the belt housing and the belt was tore up. this time it didnt make any noise just alot of smoke from the air box. How do i know if i need to shim the clutch? is there a way to tell once it is all back together. and how do you know how far to shim it?

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the last time i took it apart the rollers out of the clutch were laying in the bottom of the belt housing and the belt was tore up. this time it didnt make any noise just alot of smoke from the air box. How do i know if i need to shim the clutch? is there a way to tell once it is all back together. and how do you know how far to shim it?

You don't need to shim a cat clutch and this is a rarity.AC clutch system is almost indestructable.I would agree that it was not put back together correctly.The secondary needs to have a case bolt driven into it to spread the secondary and allow the belt to drop into it.This allows you to tighten the primary without THE BELT TOUCHING IT. Also if red locktite was not used on the primary and secondary nuts THEY WILL BACK OFF. This is probably what happened initially.The only way your rollers could have come out is if the nut came loose or your fixed plate broke(never heard of one).I have a very good primary sheave set for your machine only 1100k.Watch both video it will help you to understand. I cannot stress enough this is a rarity and I have never heard of one doing this on it's own, I know AC's with 10,000k still on original belt.do not use an aftermarket belt they are crap stock Ac oem only..[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTkw-yTk8Yo[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS-bNMhb-KM[/media]

Buchanan

Reaction score
I just pulled the cover off and found the belt ripped up and string wrapped around the primary clutch and the rollers were out of place in the clutch. I noticed that the primary and secondary clutches are not lined up. the primary clutch sits inside farther then the secondary. I took the parts out and cleaned them with brake clean and put the rollers back in place. are the clutches supposed to be inline.
Also the outside part of the clutch was spinning seperate from the inside. i was holding on to the inside of it and spinning the outside. Does that mean it was not put on tight enough and backed off.

Last edited:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just pulled the cover off and found the belt ripped up and string wrapped around the primary clutch and the rollers were out of place in the clutch. I noticed that the primary and secondary clutches are not lined up. the primary clutch sits inside farther then the secondary. I took the parts out and cleaned them with brake clean and put the rollers back in place. are the clutches supposed to be inline.
You probably have bits of belt trapped in the secondary spring and the primary.You are going to have to disassemble them to get all the crap out.Can you see any splines on the primary where the nut goes on? You should see two or three threads.Are the nuts tight? It is possible upon further reflection that the rollers could get out when the belt breaks at rpm.Did you watch the vids?

Buchanan

Reaction score
yeah i watched the vids. they answered alot of my questions. I will have to take the secondary clutch off to clean behind it. If there is pieces of belt in there it would hold the inner cone out instead of letting it retract to where it belongs. and it was at higher rpm's when it did let loose. all the rolleres and everything else looks to be in good shape.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Roll your rollers on a flat surface to make sure they have no flat spots.clean the roller valleys clean enough to eat off and follow the reassemble procedure to a tee.Are you sure your nut is tight because you shouldn't be able to spin that outer sheave.Check to make sure the splines are not stripped on the fixed plate. While your in there if you want that machine to stand on it;s tail,you can re-clock your secondary to B3 or B4 and drill your rollers to 17.5gr. basically the same as an aftermarket clutch kit but free!! That machine is not a Suzuki engine it is all CAT but the clutch set-up is similar.H1 is hemi head.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JED-oeXc-U[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkiNFlQsDyQ[/media]

Buchanan

Reaction score
Since i am into it this far i might as well do that work now. Otherwise i will be wishing that i did later on and i dont want to take it apart again if i dont have to. I want to thank you for all the helpful information.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since i am into it this far i might as well do that work now. Otherwise i will be wishing that i did later on and i dont want to take it apart again if i dont have to. I want to thank you for all the helpful information.
No problem...this is a pretty anti cat forum so we have to stick together.If you are into some cheap, easy performance mods or some hard expensive ones lol pm me. Good luck

Buchanan

Reaction score
After looking at the clutches i noticed that the movable drive plate does not have any spline teeth on it and i am not a mechanic but i would think that it would need teeth so that it would be catching on the spline while you are pushing the throttle. please let know if i am correct because that might be my whole problem. because that part was like that last time i brought it in and it is the same part that was in there because i put a mark on it with a marker and it was in the same condition the last time and they did not replace it at the shop.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After looking at the clutches i noticed that the movable drive plate does not have any spline teeth on it and i am not a mechanic but i would think that it would need teeth so that it would be catching on the spline while you are pushing the throttle. please let know if i am correct because that might be my whole problem. because that part was like that last time i brought it in and it is the same part that was in there because i put a mark on it with a marker and it was in the same condition the last time and they did not replace it at the shop.
Can you take a picture and put it on here? Like I said in my previous post either the nut is not tight or you stripped the splines.Where did you get this work done? Was it at an AC dealership?

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The moveable drive plate does not have splines.....it has seals on both sides that slide on the bushing.
The fixed plate, with the ramps for the roller weights has splines.
If the belt was in the way when they tightened the nut on, the splines on the fixed plate may have been damaged.

Where the Hech is Iron Mountain???

Last edited:
Top Bottom