Clutch heat?

Trigger

Reaction score
Headin out for another run tomorrow and was curious about this belt being o.k.?

Attachments

• 01212011182.jpg
    01212011182.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 291
  • 01212011183.jpg
    01212011183.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 285

Trigger

Reaction score
As you can see, I'm trying to be humorous about this. However I blew a belt a couple days ago and then blew this one today. The heat coming from my clutch is ridiculous. Throw some snow on it and it turns to steam.
I have no vent kit but will be getting one, is there anything else that will help significantly?
By the way it is a Crossfire 1000, 2008

Last edited:

sleliuk1

Reaction score
I should put up the same pic. Same thing happened to me yesterday the clutch was hotter than I've ever seen it before and ihave tons of venting. In the heavy snow at WOT for a long time will do this. I know I learnt my lesson!

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As you can see, I'm trying to be humorous about this. However I blew a belt a couple days ago and then blew this one today. The heat coming from my clutch is ridiculous. Throw some snow on it and it turns to steam.
I have no vent kit but will be getting one, is there anything else that will help significantly?
By the way it is a Crossfire 1000, 2008

RKT OR CUTLERS secondary conversion will help alot i use a m7 set up and have not had a belt problem since. A cheap way that i have not tried yet is a different secondary spring the orange spring is 175/280 and the other one is 110/260 or something like that. Very close to the m7 or the same. I know ECHO had them in stock a week ago. I can remember the part number but they only offer a couple choices also a 44/40 helix for around here makes a big difference. good luck If anyone tries the spring i would sure like to here if it works

Trigger

Reaction score
Mountainguy, I had a cutler on my 06 600. That machine is not putting out the torque this is but that kit worked well. Never blew a belt and the backshift on it is excellent.

I may have to get another one.

Trigger

Reaction score
Well I installed a vent kit today and went for a ride. I noticed I was loosing rpm, checked the belt and it seemed o.k. then about 10 min later KAPOWY!!!!

That's 3 belts in about 100 miles of riding, and at 2 bills a belt I'm not a happy camper!! Time for the dealer to do some warranty work I think. There has to be an alignment issue or as suggested above broken motor mount.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I installed a vent kit today and went for a ride. I noticed I was loosing rpm, checked the belt and it seemed o.k. then about 10 min later KAPOWY!!!!

That's 3 belts in about 100 miles of riding, and at 2 bills a belt I'm not a happy camper!! Time for the dealer to do some warranty work I think. There has to be an alignment issue or as suggested above broken motor mount.

Straight 38 and red / white torsional spring in the secondary

m8welder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'v blown 2 belts in the last month too, I think it is just this wet heavy snow and you are supposed to break in a belt which can be hard to do if you like to push on the throttle.Also my clutches are smoking hot too, lots of heat under the hood and i'm all vented up.

Trigger

Reaction score
Ya, I'm trying to break them in properly but I agree this deep snow makes it hard to do. Regardless, I should get more than 30 miles a belt even if it is not broke in perfectly.

Will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow. The motor has an awful ting to it now too! Warranty please be kind.. lol

mustard73

Reaction score

2 bills a belt? Are you running the 060 belt? Try running the 046. All my buddies with m1000s switched...

Trigger

Reaction score
The last one I put on is an 046. It got me home, but trust me. I was feathering the throttle! lol

RTTTTed

Reaction score
Looking at the pic I gonna say that you need to adjust the secondary clutch with the shims. I was told "just slightly above the shiv. Yours is a long way out of the clutch. When mine was adjusted a lot lower than that I exploded a #60 belt running wide open and waiting for the top speed. Old 1000 triple did 125mph. Kinda hard to get used to a 95mph top speed.

After I adjusted the belt so that it was almost level with the shivs I never blew another belt.

The #60 belt is a hard belt and extreme high altitude or needing a couple hundred rpms using the softer 46 belt will help. Being a softer belt it won't last as long though.

Ted

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at the pic I gonna say that you need to adjust the secondary clutch with the shims. I was told "just slightly above the shiv. Yours is a long way out of the clutch. When mine was adjusted a lot lower than that I exploded a #60 belt running wide open and waiting for the top speed. Old 1000 triple did 125mph. Kinda hard to get used to a 95mph top speed.

After I adjusted the belt so that it was almost level with the shivs I never blew another belt.

The #60 belt is a hard belt and extreme high altitude or needing a couple hundred rpms using the softer 46 belt will help. Being a softer belt it won't last as long though.

Ted
the 46 is a harder belt and the 60 is softer straight fact:beer:and running a mountain sled on flat to top speed will blow your belt if held wide open for long periods of time

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 46 is a harder belt and the 60 is softer straight fact:beer:and running a mountain sled on flat to top speed will blow your belt if held wide open for long periods of time

Ok i was thinking the other way with the belts. Think the 060 is different material , like Kevlar or such. So holding it pinned up the mountain is not the same??? Sorry just askin not stirring!

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Headin out for another run tomorrow and was curious about this belt being o.k.?

Vent your sides, behind your clutch side shock, and your hood! On my M1000 this helped out tonnes! Oh and I switched to the 046 belt which is an M8 belt, just shim properly and your good to go. 046 is 100 bucks cheaper too :)

Top Bottom